Announcing the Axe-Fx II XL Plus

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Staring tomorrow we will begin selling the Axe-Fx II XL Plus. This is a minor revision of the existing XL. Everyone on the XL waiting list will receive XL Pluses. The price is the same.

The main difference between the XL and the XL Plus is the LCD. The controller chip for the LCD was EOL so we had to design a new LCD. Since this controller chip has a different protocol this requires different firmware to communicate with the LCD. So we had to call the product something different as it requires different firmware files and we didn't want people having to refer to the serial number or something like that to figure out which file to use.

One idea was the Axe-Fx II XL Mark II but we figured that would be really confusing. So eventually we came up with XL+. Functionally the XL+ is identical to the XL. The sysex ID is 7 vs. 6 for the XL. Presets are cross-compatible and new versions of Axe-Edit and FractalBot will automatically convert presets created on one to work on the other by changing the sysex ID and recalculating the checksums.

So other than a different LCD the XL+ is basically the same thing as an XL.

Or I can put my marketing hat on and do the old song-and-dance:
Step right up and get your new Axe-Fx II XL+. The XL+ is a major improvement to the Axe-Fx II with the following features:
- All new algorithms based on our new patented modeling technology
- Super duper hardware design with better intermodulation distortion and lower interphase coupling
- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) LCD with superior brightness and contrast
- Custom black-and-white "+" sign after the letters "XL"
- Rich alcantara headliner with diamond-stitch seating surfaces
- Gluten and GMO free

I guess I need to sell my XL now so I can get the latest and greatest model lol

Cliff, will the display look any different? More pixels or different color?

In my best Ricardo Montalban voice, "With rich Corithian leather appointments." Lover that new Axe smell!

edit: Nvm.

So from what I understand you guys wanted make some small improvement to the current design including the LCD display but in doing so a new firmware was necessary to work correctly. So a new "version" needed to be created just because of that to avoid confusion between models before and after this release since they would use different firmware.

Got it. Cool! Almost had a heart attack when I saw that thread title, as I just got my XL recently.

Last edited:
edit: Nvm.

So from what I understand you guys wanted make some small improvement to the current design including the LCD display but in doing so a new firmware was necessary to work correctly. So a new "version" needed to be created just because of that to avoid confusion between models before and after this release since they would use different firmware.

Got it. Cool! Almost had a heart attack when I saw that thread title, as I just got my XL recently.

i think they're saying the parts for the current LCD screen are no longer available. so they had to design something new that will be in stock for them to build more axe-fx units.

Just right when I was saving up for an XL… the XL+ comes afterwards! Can't wait to see more info. come out about the XL+
(Firmware wise, what upgrades it will get. )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom