The two new Factory Cab 58 & 59

It was my understanding that when using FRFR, the low res freq is relative to the IR you're using. I could well be wrong. More information would definitely be cool, I'm not sure. There's this, but it confuses me to be honest:http://forum.fractalaudio.com/tech-notes/78003-about-speaker-lf-resonance.html

Try this: Altering the frequency (Low Freq) will change the frequencies at which the power amp resonates and tuning this to the key you are playing in can be an effective strategy, e.g. set it to 82 Hz if playing in E.

Hi, hope someone can help; I am really enjoying the AFS100 2 with cab 59. So if I download the new FW 18 Beta, cab 59 will be overwritten? Can I save cab 59 to a user slot before downloading the latest beta so I don't lose it?

Thanks

Tom

Hi, hope someone can help; I am really enjoying the AFS100 2 with cab 59. So if I download the new FW 18 Beta, cab 59 will be overwritten?
Yes.
Can I save cab 59 to a user slot before downloading the latest beta so I don't lose it?
No.

If you have a second unit you can shoot an IR of it before you update using the second unit.

Wow I need to check these out. :)

Doing your own mixes is actually something I've been meaning to talk about on the forum. Although my Cab Packs give people many options to choose from I think it's one of the best feelings to create/find your own mixes.

I've messed with doing mixes..
I found it really difficult
made a few quite nice cabs though

Try this: Altering the frequency (Low Freq) will change the frequencies at which the power amp resonates and tuning this to the key you are playing in can be an effective strategy, e.g. set it to 82 Hz if playing in E.

Cool idea, seems to be the only bit I understood from that particular Cliff Note. I was still curious about the setting specific to this IR though. For example, for cab pack 8, Clark mentioned in that thread that the low res frequency of that cab was about 95. It really doesn't matter, I just have OCD a bit and like everything to be as accurate as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool idea, seems to be the only bit I understood from that particular Cliff Note. I was still curious about the setting specific to this IR though. For example, for cab pack 8, Clark mentioned in that thread that the low res frequency of that cab was about 95. It really doesn't matter, I just have OCD a bit and like everything to be as accurate as possible.

95 sounds low. I have the impedance curve for one here and the resonance is 113 Hz.

They're custom mixes I did from Cab Pack 8. These are my go-to IRs atm.
Hi Cliff, What is the nomenclature for the cab pack 8 IR's? My CAB list for Hi/ULTRA-RES ir #58 SAYS > 4X12 SLM V30 (OH) After loading 18b.. Is this correct?

Last edited:
95 sounds low. I have the impedance curve for one here and the resonance is 113 Hz.

for my live presets [that play through real 4x12 cabs] I've been turning the low res down between 40Hz - 60Hz because to my ear it seems to make the low end a little easier to control and dial in..

in your opinion would you consider this bad practice??

Wacky idea. Right now an amps speaker page values automatically default to cab/speaker values that are typical for that particular amp. Now, could it be programmed so that those speaker page values automatically change to values that are based on which factory IR is selected? The factory IR's cover most everything speaker wise and users could reference them when changing to third party IR's.

Edit: I realize there are a ton of variables in implementing something like this (what if the user selects two IR's, two cab blocks, and so on.) Let's just say this would only happen when one IR, in one cab block is selected.

Last edited:
Wacky idea. Right now an amps speaker page values automatically default to cab/speaker values that are typical for that particular amp. Now, could it be programmed so that those speaker page values automatically change to values that are based on which factory IR is selected? The factory IR's cover most everything speaker wise and users could reference them when changing to third party IR's.

If this information is present for every factory IR, it would be really cool. Just to simpify a bit, it could also be added to the cab's name (F.ex. 1x12 Bludo Mix (80/1200)) instead of modifying the values in another block.

I think it was 117hz according to my measurements for Cab Pack 8.

I might actually create a thread where I can share the impedances as IRs for all the Cab Packs. Is there something wrong with using an impedance IR and setting speaker resonances to 0?

if I'm understanding this right and we're talking about the same thing..
I've always preferred to dial that spike down [reduce it's level] or out of the way [down in the 40Hz area so it pumps something I'd rather have pumped]

I don't know if I'm breaking the rules.. and of course rules are made to be broke..
I seem to recall doing this when trying to de-flub an amp in a much earlier fw version..
it seemed to work so I kept doing it..

I haven't tried that low but being an audio engineer I can safely state that there's no place for guitar at 40hz. Actually I doubt many sound systems can even play those frequencies properly. F.ex. most kick drums have their low end around 60-80hz. Guitars are usually around 125hz. However like you said it might sound cool and breaking the rules is okay. :)

I haven't tried that low but being an audio engineer I can safely state that there's no place for guitar at 40hz. Actually I doubt many sound systems can even play those frequencies properly. F.ex. most kick drums have their low end around 60-80hz. Guitars are usually around 125hz. However like you said it might sound cool and breaking the rules is okay. :)

if the guitar don't really do anything down there, I guess you could say then that I'm effectively dialling it out of the way
so maybe that'll have a similar effect as dialling the spike out with the low res's level control

Back
Top Bottom