Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

I switched back to 17.04. Not trying to knock 18 but it just didn't sound right to me. Tried tweaking but couldn't get it right. I was impressed with the gain though. I normally use the pvhII and thats not G3. It also killed my dumble clean. Ill just wait for the final version to come out. I saw some others who had some of the same opinions so i thought i would share. Please don't stone me, it's just for some feedback.:nightmare:

Last edited:
I'm switching back to 17.04. (at least until the proper release) This beta ruined quite a few of my clean presets, they went incredibly tinny sounding and also very quiet. Some other clean presets sound much louder. Some gainy presets sound way too harsh and not pleasing to the ear. Not sounding good at all.

For those interested in getting closer to the Fuzz Factory-type tones, definitely try maxing the gain on the Deluxe Tweed and turning the boost on. It does some pretty cool stuff depending how hard you hit the strings. It behaves much differently than what's currently available in the drive blocks. Any chance there could be a new fuzz option in the drive block that could capture these types of tones? I'm drawing a blank on clever names at the moment, but how about the Chase Lounge?

I switched back to 17.04. Not trying to knock 18 but it just didn't sound right to me. Tried tweaking but couldn't get it right. I was impressed with the gain though. I normally use the pvhII and thats not G3. It also killed my rumble clean. Ill just wait for the final version to come out. I saw some others who had some of the same opinions so i thought i would share. Please don't stone me, it's just for some feedback.:nightmare:

Oh- is it not?

It was on the list of g3'd amps in another thread- so I was thinking of trying fw18 tomorrow as its one of my most used amps alongside FAS modern...

Otherwise I'll wait- I'd rather tweak settings only once between FW 17.03 and FW 18!

i think the bottom line is that if you do a lot of deep editing, don't update and expect it to sound the same or even good....some parameters have been removed and it will def affect your tones. I do ZERO deep editing and have only found improvements across the board. amps I didn't even like before I like now.

I'm not saying it's an earth shattering night and day difference....but IT IS different. better. sweeter. more natural. organic. open. present.

Those two clips sounds very different ,FW18 clip do not have high end somehow weird. I was hear few other clips also what have been created FW18 ,little bit similar thing was those also that high end was missing sadly. That make me wonder is that some kind of bug ,and is there some update all preset kind of feature. Because all high end is gone somehow in that second clip ,need to hear more that kind of compare tests whit G2 and G3.

Here's the sample. Factory preset #30 Wrecker (Wrecker Rocket). First one is 17.04, second is 18:

A huge difference. I didn't expect that some amps will be affected much more than the others.

So you would have to do this to every single factory preset that contains a rotary block?

Can be used to initialize the ROTARY block in Axe-Edit (CTRL+I) instead of quickly double tapping on the BYPASS button ?

You can use AE if you like, but it's not officially supported and caveat user if anything bad happens because of it.

Remember that this is beta and sometimes that means things aren't 100% nice. If you're uncomfortable with things being unpolished please wait for the non-beta release.

I'm switching back to 17.04. (at least until the proper release) This beta ruined quite a few of my clean presets, they went incredibly tinny sounding and also very quiet. Some other clean presets sound much louder. Some gainy presets sound way too harsh and not pleasing to the ear. Not sounding good at all.

Can you post patches that didn't work well in the beta for you? Might be worth one of us taking a look at them.

so far, for me, AE has been fine for all basic stuff. If you go for a parameter that's not there anymore, who knows what will happen. but as far as patch changes and basic amp controls, I've had zero issues.

A lot of what you're hearing is the difference in level. Turn it up until the volume matches the volume of the first sample, and watch it spring back to life.

Yikes, I prefer the first one...... 17.04 has more mids and highs! Thats got me worried now . Im sticking with 17.04 for the time being. ;)

Oh- is it not?

It was on the list of g3'd amps in another thread- so I was thinking of trying fw18 tomorrow as its one of my most used amps alongside FAS modern...

Otherwise I'll wait- I'd rather tweak settings only once between FW 17.03 and FW 18!
Nah only pvh block. that sounds better but when hitting single string notes it gets thin. Weird. The chords are full but not repetitive single notes.

Yikes, I prefer the first one...... 17.04 has more mids and highs! Thats got me worried now . Im sticking with 17.04 for the time being. ;)

If you only use factory presets, that would be wise.
If not, you'll find the new Wrecker better, after minor adjustments (Level).
Really, there's no such thing as "17.04 has more mids and high".

after hour and hour tweaking on two of my favorite Amp Mesa Mark IV(BRT +, BRT, LEAD +,Lead) and FAS MODERN III, I think I should wait for the official release of FW18

after I updated to 18, I selected, USA Lead BRT +, first touch was boomy, low gain but very loud and bad quality, I said OK np I just reset amp and cab block then tweaking, NO it doesn't solved !, the final sound was more compress than to my same preset on 17.04. the sounds wasn't somethin that I expected by 18 and G3, It was my first bad experience of an Update, but I'm not like a desperate man because it's not an official version

I had the same issue with FAS MODERN III as well

Back to 17.04, practice and wait for the official 18

Last edited:
If you only use factory presets, that would be wise.
If not, you'll find the new Wrecker better, after minor adjustments (Level).

Good advice Yek. I will stick with 17.04 factory for the time being.

after hour and hour tweaking on two of my favorite Amp Mesa Mark IV(BRT +, BRT, LEAD +,Lead) and FAS MODERN III, I think I should wait for the official release of FW18

after I updated to 18, I selected, USA Lead BRT +, first touch was boomy, low gain but very loud and bad quality, I said OK np I just reset amp and cab block then tweaking, NO it doesn't solved !, the final sound was more compress than to mt same preset on 17.04. the sounds wasn't somethin that I expected by 18 and G3, It was my first bad experience of an Update, but I'm not like a desperate man because it'a not an official version

I had the same issue with FAS MODERN III as well

Back to 17.04, practice and wait for the official 18

I had the same experience with the Mark IV models; glad I'm not the only one that had this impression. Also, I've noticed that my Triaxis patches are excessively loud now. Any one else noticed this? I had to go from -12db to -30 to get to the same level.

Here's the sample. Factory preset #30 Wrecker (Wrecker Rocket). First one is 17.04, second is 18:

A huge difference. I didn't expect that some amps will be affected much more than the others.

There was no Wrecker Rocket in 17.04. That amp model used to be Wrecker 1 and it was based on a the Wrecker model from the Ultra. Since there is a "real" Trainwreck model now (Wrecker Express) the Wrecker 1 model has been replaced by a new "Wrecker Rocket" amp model. So comparing the two firmware versions using that preset is not applicable.

If you are just using factory presets you really shouldn't be using the beta. The beta is for "skilled" users who understand how to create presets from scratch and how to dial in amps (whether real or virtual).

When the release version of the firmware is ready there will be new factory presets as well. So if you are a novice user I highly recommend staying with 17.04. You do a disservice to the quality of the algorithms and the other members of the forums by posting things like this without understanding what's going on.

This. Just tweak it so it has more mids and highs, or w/e else its lacking = Done. When they redo all the these amps you can't expect the same settings to sound the same. If they did then there would be no difference haha.

Back
Top Bottom