Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

Very good ! :)

in 17.04 the amps felt great to play but after an hour of loud playing every amp started to sound the same. There was some common side-effect in all models that I couldn´t get rid off. Some fizzyness..

But in fw 18 this problem seems to have dissappeared. The feeling is great and I don´t even have to eq the 1959 modell at all.
Double verb sounds and feels like a real twin .

An other interesting point is that if I change the neg feedback from 3.2 up 3.7, (1959 jump-modell) there is a real big change in the sound and feel.
It seems that this algorithm really lets the subtle differences come through.

Still a lot of nice modells to try. I got stuck on 1959-jump, deluxe -verb and trainwrecks for 5 hours yesterday. Will try the rest when time comes.... :)

Really ! I remember we did that on marshall´s in the 70´s and 80´s as a simple mod. They also have it in the modern/vintage marshall model. I don´t now if I really like that sound but mayby somebody else does. :)
The drawback is that the presence control won´t work properly untill the master is on full.

Can somebody explain about axe fx ultra and this new G3 stuff. I friend of mine want´s to know if he can update his ultra to G3. On the new link it says mk I/II but when you unzip it it says fxII only.
What´s the deal ?

Can somebody explain about axe fx ultra and this new G3 stuff. I friend of mine want´s to know if he can update his ultra to G3. On the new link it says mk I/II but when you unzip it it says fxII only.
What´s the deal ?

Mark I still refers to an Axe-Fx II.

the Standard and Ultra will not have any more updates (as far as we know). G3 is only for the Axe-Fx II.

There have been three different versions of the Axe-Fx II: the Mark I, the Mark II, and the XL.

The Standard and Ultra were first-generation. The Axe-Fx II is the second generation (G2). FW 18 uses third-generation (G3) modeling, but it runs on the G2 hardware.

• Press the LAYOUT button to bring up the grid
  • Navigate to the ROT block in the grid
  • Reset the block to factor defaults by quickly double tapping on the BYPASS button while the ROT block is highlighted
  • Press the EDIT button to edit the ROT block
  • Reset it how you like it
  • Press the FX BYP button to bypass it
  • Press the STORE and ENTER buttons to save the preset

So you would have to do this to every single factory preset that contains a rotary block?

For the ones that have gigs coming: Since I am a hardcore advanced parameters tweaker all my goto presets that got tweaked a lot there did loose their sound and balance upon the update. I could never gig with them the way they got translated and it will take some time to get everything balanced again. To my surprise it seems faster now to dial in an amp from scratch, many are almost good now right out of the box with reset parameters. That's new to me. Time to start new now?
Rolling back to 17.04 my presets were still ok and sounding as good as ever.

not really enjoying this update. about 5 of the amps sound like they have broken speakers. nothing is clipping. same thing on various cabs and low overdrive settings. some of the amps sound thinner now.other settings are cool with less fizz on high gain and more clarity and definition. guess i need to wait for the full release ?

• Press the LAYOUT button to bring up the grid
  • Navigate to the ROT block in the grid
  • Reset the block to factor defaults by quickly double tapping on the BYPASS button while the ROT block is highlighted
  • Press the EDIT button to edit the ROT block
  • Reset it how you like it
  • Press the FX BYP button to bypass it
  • Press the STORE and ENTER buttons to save the preset

Can be used to initialize the ROTARY block in Axe-Edit (CTRL+I) instead of quickly double tapping on the BYPASS button ?

So you would have to do this to every single factory preset that contains a rotary block?

Faster way is to use AE. Reset the Rotary and tweak it as you like. Then copy the block. Now paste it into every preset that has the Rotary, engage or bypass it and save the preset.

Thanks for the public beta most grateful for this Cliff and Fas Team.
Going to go through different amps I dialed a plexi back in and liked what I heard.

I figure every patch will need to be tweaked some but so be it.
I just got through going through 113 different amp sounds backed those up mostly
inside machine and fractal so went ahead and downloaded 18 about to start going through 113 amps
again. Need to go back now through those check those out patch by patch.

Its going to take awhile going to take my time and just try to enjoy the process.
I was instantly drawn in again..

Oh I tried front panel and axe edit and was able to use axe edit no problem.
So dont be afraid to try axe edit seems to work the same for me.

anyway thanks for the great update !

Faster way is to use AE. Reset the Rotary and tweak it as you like. Then copy the block. Now paste it into every preset that has the Rotary, engage or bypass it and save the preset.

Thx. Didn't know AE was useable with 18.
Hopefully there will be new factory presets with the official release to avoid this :)

Last edited:
Yeah, thought the same about AE at first per

"This beta version does not fully support Axe-Edit so front panel editing is recommended."

But it works for much of the usual. Can't see any of the "G3" naming on the amps, to tell which have been processed, but I believe at least Chris has posted a list, or you can look at the front panel for this.

ok maybe a silly question but if i download and install the new 18.00 fw will all my presets that i have automatically refresh with the new G3 without doing nothing ?
sorry if this has answered before

ok maybe a silly question but if i download and install the new 18.00 fw will all my presets that i have automatically refresh with the new G3 without doing nothing ?
sorry if this has answered before

Yes.

Make sure you have a backup of all your current presets.

Back
Top Bottom