Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

My initial impressions. . . .

The decay with the Plexi 50, single notes or chords, is incredible. It morphs into this beautiful, bell-like feedback tone. :)

Positions 2 and 4 on my 513 seem more full and sweet now, and more usable.

V 17.04 to 18 beta is like going from a regular steak to organic steak. There's more of everything good going on; more complex, sweeter and you need very little spice to get a great taste! :)

Terry.

I just put a fresh FW18 recording into the "recordings" section if anyone wants to wet their whistle. Don't mind the clams. I'm no Eddie. :) Thanks Cliff and Co.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right from the start, fw18 hits you.. you hear and feel it right away..

I only use three amps in my presets
5153Red [G3] <-- was awesome.. now off the scale
Herbert Ch [G2] <-- which seems to have grown something unexpected in the awesome direction.. not sure what it is.. not going to try to find out.. just gonna riff it silly..
65 Bassman Normal[G3] <-- loved it when it first showed up, but now it's staggering

the 5153Red and Herbert ch3 together are riff central.. clear and tidy in the lows.. fiery in the highs and just boot the door in..
the 5153Red with a 10dB boost in front of it just sings and sings and sings.. it's the lead tone I've always longed for..

the Bassman was the real surprise.. I just can't stop playing it [which is quite something coming from an occupational shredder]..
I've managed to find that perfect 'not quite clean / not quite aggressive clean'..
finger style or gentle with the pick and it's clear as a bell. Dig in and it thickens and almost barks at ya.. beautiful tone..

I don't even think the Diezels have been g3'd

they haven't. i have a list of the G3'd amps here:

FW18 Public Beta - 93 Amps Updated!

but every amp, even if not G3'd, seems to benefit already from the changes of FW18. my Concert amp clean tone is just more awesome now, and it's not even G3'd!

Every amp model will benefit as they all use the new algorithms. Amps that have not been G3'd may not be 100% accurate. The Concert should be very close though.

Love it! Here's a clip playing around with it. First half is my favorite shred patch, based on the Brit Pre (which hasn't been converted yet, but still sounds better in this version) modded with the Bassman tone stack and Saturation switched on. It's a deliberately bright tone for definition but I notice I can leave the tone up full on my Strat now without taking my head off with it :)

The clean 2nd half is a lot more mellow - the Bassman 65 which has been 'G3ified'. Both tones use a YJM Strat.
Listen to the punch on those low notes when I play the Hendrix riff!

The G3 amps are great!!!!!!! but tone matched patches have sufferd, but that is ok it was a sacrifice worth making. some volume differences in x/y amps also

I don't even think the Diezels have been g3'd

that's right, they haven't..
but living in 18, they've gone and got a little something extra..
it's not as pronounced at the effects of 18 on the 5153.. but something good's going on in there..

Back
Top Bottom