Volbeat and/or 5FDP

I've had little luck searching (this forum or otherwise). I'm wondering if anyone has experience recreating either Volbeat (Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies; i.e., Lola Montez) or 5FDP tones? So far, I've created a preset blending the Fryette and 100w Plexi with the Rosen Marshall 1960 Vintage and the Mesa OS Rectifier (mix IR) cabs...using several amp and cab block tips from Kostas, Cliff, Dr Bonkers and Clark Kent...relatively happy with what I have, but just curious about what like-minded, more Axe-experienced folks might have to share...? Anyone?

Thanks,

Jason

...not looking for a simple tone match (volbeat guitar stems are hard to come by), but looking to recreate a tone similar to that of the rhythm guitars on Lola Montez using the deeper parameters of the amp and cab blocks within AF2...FWIW, I'm using post-eq from my Apollo (API Vision channel strip)...but, haven't done a 1:1, just looking for thoughts, ideas from those familiar with the sound...

I know Jason Hook uses the AXEFX when he goes to europe and he uses the Brit 800 Mod with and 808 in front. Thats as far as I know on that.

Thanks, schlagdog, yeah, read that in Sidivan's thread, but can't believe more people aren't chasing these tones given the bands' successes...have considered emailing Jacob Hansen directly as I've gleaned, what I believe, is all that is humanely possible from public information...but not entirely confident in the fruits of that approach and would rather reach out to someone with better ears (read: nerdier and with more patience) than I... ;-)

Last edited:
I wouldn't think the main Volbeat tone would be hard to achieve, pretty much just a JCM800 with a sonic maximizer and an EQ in line before it. I never set out to achieve his exact tone when playing Lola, but I used a diezel with Clark Kent's gift to mankind IR and got really close, at least to my ears, I also found my default mesa patch (same IR) to be really close.

Yeah, really dig the Fractal's Fryette in general, sick amp! Kevin, are you referring to CK's "secret formula" IR recipe involving the 2 Alloy mix IRs that come stock with AF2?

I sat down to learn few Volbeat tunes over the weekend, Lola, The Mirror & The Ripper, Heaven Nor Hell, Still Counting & found that with a few PEQ's (one before the amp & one after), Engl Savage, ASEM V30 ir, no verb or delay & Les Paul tuned to D Standard.... Boom... I had a great sound when playing along to the tracks. When I am not playing they do not sound as good!!!! ;). Guitars do sound really great tuned to D. I would agree that it is not a hard sound to get. I started with getting the low end right & went from there. Good Luck!!!!!

Yeah, really dig the Fractal's Fryette in general, sick amp! Kevin, are you referring to CK's "secret formula" IR recipe involving the 2 Alloy mix IRs that come stock with AF2?

Actually the much older ones, released on the forums almost a year ago. It is either "Clark Kent's Gift UltraRes IR" or the "Clark Kent's Gift to Mankind IR". I use it in a few of my patches but don't have my Axe here to validate which one. I like those IR's more than almost anything else. I did start playing with the mix stuff he posted out a few weeks back, but haven't updated my main patches for that yet. I'm waiting for the G3 modeling so I can change everything at once.

Back
Top Bottom