Periphery Tone

well they themselves put their patches on axe change, cant get more helpful than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if old FW just adjust a few settings

Hello!! I've really been aiming for that periphery "djent" tone with my axe fx and was wondering if I could get some advice regarding achieving something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rer-ZMIEWg. How does he get the sound of the strings to really pop out like that? TY!

hey im looking the same tone for almost 1 month (im also new to axe fx) but still im too far from it.. no matter what i do its either fuzzy muddy or radio like.. and also bulb patch in fw17 is too fizzy and more radio like instead of heavy.. people say its from the guitars but i dont believe it will make that much difference coz its not even close to what i listening in periphery's masterclass or tone videos. so im starting to think there is something different going on.. maybe some secret cab preset or something like that.
dont get me wrong im using my axe-fx xl for a month and im in love with it! its truely amazing but sometimes its really hard to dial in what you are looking for coz of tons of knobs that dont have a simple explanation (even in manual)
so if you ever get close to that tone please let me know :)

hey im looking the same tone for almost 1 month (im also new to axe fx) but still im too far from it.. no matter what i do its either fuzzy muddy or radio like.. and also bulb patch in fw17 is too fizzy and more radio like instead of heavy.. people say its from the guitars but i dont believe it will make that much difference coz its not even close to what i listening in periphery's masterclass or tone videos. so im starting to think there is something different going on.. maybe some secret cab preset or something like that.
dont get me wrong im using my axe-fx xl for a month and im in love with it! its truely amazing but sometimes its really hard to dial in what you are looking for coz of tons of knobs that dont have a simple explanation (even in manual)
so if you ever get close to that tone please let me know :)

I've been playing with the bulb rhtyym tone the last few days on my drop A 7 and I think its pretty good as is . needs volume backed off but not that much else to be usabale . I Low passed at about 8k ,maybe a little lower , as I thought it was a little fizzy . I also did a small -1.5db at 500k on the amp eq block to seperate it a bit . but thats all and it sounds pretty much extacly like the you tube vid to me

Last edited:
I've been playing with the bulb rhtyym tone the last few days on my drop A 7 and I think its pretty good as is . needs volume backed off but not that much else to be usabale . I Low passed at about 8k ,maybe a little lower , as I thought it was a little fizzy . I also did a small -1.5db at 500k on the amp eq block to seperate it a bit . but thats all and it sounds pretty much extacly like the you tube vid to me

can you record a riff so i can hear ? because i tried what you said but still not even close

I saw a recent video with Misha in which stated (at least for their live rigs) that they have greatly simplified the rhythm patches (basing it on a 6160 Block, if I recall correctly).

Apologies for the lack of precise attribution, but it was (I believe) the most recent Premier Guitar "Rig Rundown" with the band that highlights (among other things) the introduction of stage cabs to their traditionally straight to FOH + in-ear monitor system. For what it's worth (and if memory serves) they've done away with neither of these elements, but have added cabs to the stage (at least) to fill in for the front rows in some venues. One assumes (if it's not explicated) that the two signals (FOH/state cab) differ in some important and predictable ways, but I'm getting off-topic here...

YouTube search from "premier guitar periphery" and you should dig up the comment I mentioned about simplified patches.

As had been pointed out many times in may places, the famous (and quite fine - I learned quite a bit studying them) Bulb patches from AxeChange run the risk of being out of date FW-wise. Maybe load them, do the auto-resret on the advanced params, and tweak a bit to see what speaks to you.

That said: there's simply no better way to learn the AMP sims (and CAB sims if your doing something approaching FRFR) than to start withe a blank patch and toss in appropriate AMP (and perhaps CAB), listen to what it has to off at its defaults, and tweak away. Start with the basic stuff, and od it be ear, not by knob location. If you're like me, you 'llfind yourself going down deep rabbit hole as you learn and tweak the more advanced parameters that's simply a ton of fun.

Enjoy!

-DrNick

Last edited:
Download the nolly's rhythm patch from the axe change. Check the amp EQ settings from the eq page. Reselect the amp from the amp block. Dial the eq settings back and play.

I don't even dial those amp eq settings back and to me the patch sounds great on fw 17.04.

Download the nolly's rhythm patch from the axe change. Check the amp EQ settings from the eq page. Reselect the amp from the amp block. Dial the eq settings back and play.

I don't even dial those amp eq settings back and to me the patch sounds great on fw 17.04.

same here :)

How does he get the sound of the strings to really pop out like that? TY!

I didn't read all the comments, so excuse me if it has already been answered..
But Misha himself said that he uses a mix of the recorded audio and the camera's audio for his videos, that's why you hear the strings popping.. =)

EDIT

Actually, you could use a parallel chain with an acoustic/piezo sim and blend it to the distorted tone..

just tone match one of the songs off of Juggernaut alpha i forget which but there's a good 3 seconds of just guitar perfect for tonematching

I didn't read all the comments, so excuse me if it has already been answered..
But Misha himself said that he uses a mix of the recorded audio and the camera's audio for his videos, that's why you hear the strings popping.. =)

EDIT

Actually, you could use a parallel chain with an acoustic/piezo sim and blend it to the distorted tone..

very good point. hearing the strings and the pick attack acoustically can have a major impact on your perception of tone. that's why i starting editing out the camera audio in my demos, it was THAT big of a difference. also when dialing patches, you can think they are much brighter than they are if you are able to hear yourself hitting the strings along with your playing.

How does he get the sound of the strings to really pop out like that? TY!

Gear (pickups, guitars, axe-fx, zilla cabs) + Knowledge = That Tone.

Adam and Misha spent a lot of time with the AFX and have certainly made a name for themselves within the metal community. I can tell you from experience (and from others attempts on this forum post alone), you will not get that exact tone. You can emulate and can get close so I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE, but the above variables make up the majority of their specific tonal quality.

Keep in mind, the guitar that you use to emulate Periphery's tone has a ton to do with what it sounds like recorded or in person. Don't beat yourself up over not being exact. Download the patches they willingly shared to the community, try it out, then make a blank preset with your gear that closely emulates the tone using the same blocks w/ same parameters. The best way to learn is to see HOW they did it, then try a blank template yourself on the grid.

It is tough though getting that high of a gain to sound that tight and clear tonally, I have tried a few times and failed. Good luck mate, don't give up!!

I'll chuck a riff down after work for you.

and edit

https://soundcloud.com/ongey/bulb-ax-fx-preset-wankery

here, just improve drop A noodling on a midi drum loop . no eq or anything.single take to centre . just the stock preset with bandpass filter on the cab block at 75 and 7200k

not saying its album ready bulb tone but its not miles away from the tones on the you tube vid

yes thats not bad i agree but still it feels fizzy and skinny if you compare with this (or other videos) : Misha Mansoor: The Djent Set #5 (Part 1) - YouTube
im not asking for the exact same thing but i still think its too different then it should be

i will try with reselecting the amp block :)

yes thats not bad i agree but still it feels fizzy and skinny if you compare with this (or other videos) : Misha Mansoor: The Djent Set #5 (Part 1) - YouTube
im not asking for the exact same thing but i still think its too different then it should be

i will try with reselecting the amp block :)

cool

the bulb preset has no HP or LP fitering on it. the tone in that vid you posted is Low Passed to death,. sounds like its at 5k or something to me on crappy work speakers

Back
Top Bottom