Ax Fx ll vs Matrix Power Amp vowlume

Ax Fx ll vs Matrix Power Amp volume

Which gives a better tone? The Ax Fx MV turned up all the way or the Matrix power amp cranked full volume adjusting the Ax Fx volume to taste. I'm looking for a general idea of what creates a great tone.

Last edited:
Its my understanding that you should keep the amp volume higher and the preamp lower so you don't overdrive the power amp. That's how I've always done it. I keep my Axe Fx turned way down and my amp about 3/4 of the way up.

first of all i think it doesnt influence the sound any...i think the result is same. i prefer turning axe out all the way up and adjusting my volume via matrix, this way i dont need to tweak my patches for recording purposes either....axe output is set all the way up both cases (recording-live), patches are allways hitting 0 by the VU meters...so i know there is enough headroom

Given neither is a vacuum tube powered, doesn't seem like it would matter in the slightest, assuming you have enough headroom to avoid clipping.

The Axe should sound exactly the same, ignoring loudness perception, regardless of the volume knob.

Wont affect the tone at all, either way. Both devices are linear solid state devices (by linear I dont mean the taper, but the amplification). I suspect if there is ANY merit in a particular method, it would be not to max either device. That way your not risking clipping of input or output stages of either device. Having said that, if your patche gain staging is designed correctly that woundn't happen even if both outputs are max'd.

Personally I run my matrix at max and control volume from the AFX. I ONLY do that because I prefer to have a single level control - and running one at max ensures its always the same. The only reason to use the AFX control is its the easier to get to with my rack layout. The AFX sits in the middle 2 Us of a 4 U rack - the Matrix on the bottom.

Its my understanding that you should keep the amp volume higher and the preamp lower so you don't overdrive the power amp. That's how I've always done it. I keep my Axe Fx turned way down and my amp about 3/4 of the way up.

That's also how I do it.

One other question: I always play stereo with my Axe fx through Matrix 1000 going to two cabs. I have noticed that when changing the volume of Channel A (left) it somehow influences the volume of Channel B (right) and visa verse. Aren't these Channels totally separated?

That's also how I do it.

One other question: I always play stereo with my Axe fx through Matrix 1000 going to two cabs. I have noticed that when changing the volume of Channel A (left) it somehow influences the volume of Channel B (right) and visa verse. Aren't these Channels totally separated?

Is the switch at the rear set to Parallel or Stereo?

Is the switch at the rear set to Parallel or Stereo?

It is set to stereo.
I can hear the stereo effect but somehow the volumes of the channels influence each other. Hard to exactly say what happens.

in theory best way is to turn up the axe output all the way and adjust the volume on the matrix. this way the levels of output of the axe and input of the poweramp are ideal. also consider leveling your presets to near 0dbfs to ensure optimal D/A performance.
the lower the output of the matrix the better the SNR, to get the loudest volume out of the lowest setting here the input level need to get its proper level.

practically it doesnt matter that much because the output of the axe fx is really good as i assume is the input/output stage of the matrix as long you dont set the axe to a extreme minimum output. also the D/A in the axe is as good to sacrifice some db for headroom (i level my presets to around -20dbfs)

@Bodde: two channels are never totaly seperated. there is something called crosstalk. but that shouldn be the issue on the matrix as this is likely a problem of cheap low end devices. i assume there is something going on with your settings on the matrix

That's also how I do it.

I have the same setup and do not experience this..
channels A and B have seemed to be totally independent to me

I always prefer to max the Axe and control the volume on the amp. Not because of sonic differences, but when something happens to the cable in between or I switch off/on the Axe-Fx while the Matrix is on, I don't want to see my speakers zoom through the room. Marty McFly, anyone?

I have a question about the Matrix poweramps, now that you mention it.

If you turn the Axe-Fx's output knobs fully clockwise and set your internal patch volume as loud as it can go without clipping, can the Matrix's inputs handle that much volume without clipping?

make sure you're not bridging maybe??

No I'm not bridging. Just Axe fx output 1 LR (normal jack cables) to Matrix AB and then flip the switch of the Matrix to stereo. That should be it or am I missing something?

No I'm not bridging. Just Axe fx output 1 LR (normal jack cables) to Matrix AB and then flip the switch of the Matrix to stereo. That should be it or am I missing something?

Check your I/O menu on the Axe Fx and make sure it's set to stereo as well for Output 1. Is channel A volume still affecting the signal coming out of channel B when the volume for B is down?

Check your I/O menu on the Axe Fx and make sure it's set to stereo as well for Output 1. Is channel A volume still affecting the signal coming out of channel B when the volume for B is down?

Thanks for joining in. I am not at my Axe right now but I am pretty sure it is set to stereo in the I/O menu since I also use it stereo at home through my studio monitors. Will have a further look next week.

Turns out I had accidentally put one of my speaker cables in the wrong output of the Matrix. It was in in the middle output (bridged) instead of the channel B. Must have happened on a dark stage or something. Stupid. But everything works fine again now.

Turns out I had accidentally put one of my speaker cables in the wrong output of the Matrix. It was in in the middle output (bridged) instead of the channel B. Must have happened on a dark stage or something. Stupid. But everything works fine again now.

#1 first rule when something is amiss, check all connections to ensure proper setup.

:)

Back
Top Bottom