It's been (mostly) fun...

I don`t agree. I posted some wishes the last years and most of them get ignored, but even so i don`t agree with you: Adressing a wish is what it is: A communication line to adress something you wish. If this would include a "guarantee" of adaption and response (yes - will happen; yes - could happen; no - won`t happen) this would be a nightmare for FAS. A commitment to response every wish ever adressed. Next step? Explain and justify why something would not happen, don`t happen es fast as customers want, etc. .... Don`t make any sense to me. There is a difference to be FAS as employee of its customers or FAS take care of it`s customers. They do the second and thats fine.

I'm not saying it SHOULD be done; I'm saying, since it's not, don't be surprised when people respond in an uninformed and/or confused fashion.

The Wish list should be regarded for what it really is- it's a way that FAS (unlike many/most other companies) shows it has respect for it's customer base by giving them a soapbox to give their opinions about how they'd like to see the products progress.

And there are indeed "some people" who are just entitled, self-absorbed pains-in-the-ass whiners residing in this community that certainly annoy me when I read their posts, so I can only imagine what it's like for Cliff.

And there are indeed "some people" who are just entitled, self-absorbed pains-in-the-ass whiners residing in this community that certainly annoy me when I read their posts, so I can only imagine what it's like for Cliff.

Yeah. There are certainly some annoying individuals in this community.

I would never expect an individual to make a substantial income offering tutorials/support for a guitar processor, no matter how much time and effort were invested. I understand that, in light of the lack of financial compensation, recognition might serve as a balm. If this weren't the case, you simply would have disappeared without all the fanfare. I hope the responses in this tread help you to feel that your efforts were appreciated by many.

...for individuals that have posted about that ONE amp they feel they need and then don't see it show up and aren't given a solid indication as to why, seeing the forest for the trees isn't quite as easy.
It would be nice to know the status of wishes that have been dropped into the wish list. But if you don't see a favorite wish implemented, I think it's safe to say that it means the six or ten or twelve things that were done in the latest release were given precedence.

There are enough items in the wish list to keep Cliff busy for years, even if he never gave a thought to the improvements he has in mind. There's not enough time to implement most of them this month, or even this year.

It would be nice to know the status of wishes that have been dropped into the wish list. But if you don't see a favorite wish implemented, I think it's safe to say that it means the six or ten or twelve things that were done in the latest release were given precedence.

There are enough items in the wish list to keep Cliff busy for years, even if he never gave a thought to the improvements he has in mind. There's not enough time to implement most of them this month, or even this year.

I think my point is getting lost in the mix here. It's completely understandable that things are the way they are. My point is simply that it also seems completely understandable (for anyone not obsessed with railing on the "entitlement culture" bs) for people to make comments that amount to little more than wondering why things haven't been added that they've requested for a while.

And, to bring this back to the original topic, I'm glad that Chris has said that he's going to put his videos back up. I think that that's a shining example of why public proclamations like this shouldn't be made in the heat of the moment. Sometimes, even in the most justifiable situations, things can be said that go a bit overboard.

I think my point is getting lost in the mix here. It's completely understandable that things are the way they are. My point is simply that it also seems completely understandable (for anyone not obsessed with railing on the "entitlement culture" bs) for people to make comments that amount to little more than wondering why things haven't been added that they've requested for a while.
Both valid points.

Chris, I benefitted from your videos...so thank you. My suggestion is to reconsider getting back in the game. Cliff is right, you have skills...that's critical to eventual success.

What if you offered remedial content for free and complex tutorials for a small fee of $10 or $15? I'd pay it. I still don't understand scenes and x/y in combo...fries my brain. Just my way of trying to let you know you are appreciated.

In addition, I run a video team in one of the largest financial services firms in the US. I'd be willing to talk with you about partnering on monetizing your video efforts. PM me if you're interested.

Ignore your ego, fears and frustrations...and "Just do it"!

Last edited:
Sad story. I hope you find a way to do what you love and get some benefit from it. Just remember that what's in your head is your product and while it may sound simple and easy, you can't give it away. Trying to get people to pay for digital content these days is a challenge. Keep your chin up though. It's clear you've made a positive impression. Stay focused on the positives.

I've been away so I haven't had a chance to reply to this until now. I'm not sure if you're (Chris) still reading this thread but I'm going to post anyways.

I get what you're saying about feeling unappreciated and how much work shooting a video is. I do it myself and there have been periods when I haven't posted videos for over 6 months because of this. Eventually I stopped trying to create proper looking videos and did my own thing and for some reason people like them even more. People definitely don't understand the effort behind a video and frankly... they shouldn't. Everyone can shoot a video with a DSLR and cut it in a professional way nowadays. It's a lot of work but it should be fun to do IMHO. I usually spend around a day creating a video. I might not even have a script but I kind of create it afterwards. Maybe it's not a good thing to come across as commercial?

Money ruins many things in this world. If it's money that you want then you have to realize that you're creating a product. Creating a good product means that you have to be extremely self-critical. Personally I have never used anything except the axewiki for support. (yek I still love you) Personally I feel like Axe-Fx video tutorials take too long and teach me a bunch of stuff that I don't even need. (Sorry to say this Chris and Cooper.) But I realize I'm not the average person. I've been around since Axe-Fx Standard. I think if there was just one tutorial showing the Axe-Fx basic functionalities that would be the ultimate hit video tutorial. Only essential stuff.

Business talk: Think about your segment for instance. Are you giving people something that they can't get anywhere else? (Is this true? Isn't Axewiki faster if you're looking for something specific?) Are you informing these people about you being the only option for this? (How and where do your reach them?) Are people convinced? (Are you that much better that they'd pay for it if the other options are free?) And even after all this it requires luck. That's all I had really... I just did stuff for myself for 5 years and shared everything for free. It reached a point where people were begging me to create a donation button and the rest is history. But shoulda-woulda-coulda... your "product" is great for beginners. You should've found a way to reach people who just got an Axe-Fx and need help. That's your main segment if you ask me. And to increase people coming back you need a hook so they come back for more. Many short videos instead of few long videos. More views and easier to scroll etc.

Marketing talk: YouTube prerolls are relatively cheap. Target people who search for Axe-Fx tutorials and they get that 5sec-30sec preroll and only pay if they clicked your ad. Create a ROI graph and start a strategy. But that's business once again. You probably realize that a tutorial is not the most sexy product out there. If you're the creator of a business then sadly you're the only one to blame. You can't blame customers that you didn't have or associates you didn't get. If your business wasn't successful then you failed filling one of these tasks. Sorry to say that but it's the harsh reality IMO.

Now as a forum friend I feel sad that you're not going to be active anymore. I hope you'll still be in here doing whatever you want. You don't have to take it too seriously. I don't... I'm still trolling every now and then. Take a breather and if you ever feel like coming back we'll be waiting for you bro. Mahalo!

When it comes to the simple act of giving motives and mindset really matter. Many of us are unconsciously so self-centered that everything we do, even within our closest relationships, is actually bartering rather than unconditional giving. This can be true even when we are dealing with ourselves.

We all realize that giving on any level feels really good, but internally all forms of giving are not created equal. This is where motives come in. When we give with the expectation of receiving something in return, we are not really giving from a pure motive. But when we give from a generous heart, the joy of giving becomes its own reward.

Then get rid of the "Wish LIst" section of the forum or be clearer with people that post in there regarding if and when and why or why they won't be seeing the changes they're "wishing" for there. For those of us that don't post "wishes" in that section, it's readily apparent how many you guys listen to and follow through on, but for individuals that have posted about that ONE amp they feel they need and then don't see it show up and aren't given a solid indication as to why, seeing the forest for the trees isn't quite as easy. It seems kind of... I don't know... something... to instead just write those individuals off as "some people."

Keep the wish list section. We're lucky to have a place to voice our wishes. People need to realize it's just that, a wish list. To expect a response to everything is just unrealistic. If no new features were added anymore, we'd still have a state of the art device the beats the competion for several years to come, maybe a lot longer.

As for people constantly whining for say, a particular amp model, if it's that important to them and they feel it's that much of an asset to the AxeFX then contact Cliff directly and offer to send him the amp. It's a community, we should all be willing to contribute not just always ask and expect more for nothing.

Most of all, we need to remain courteous to one another and appreciative for possibly the best forum on the web. Thank you Cliff and all at FAS, thanks Chris and all the forum members that contribute value and forego nonsense. If you're rude, you'll be told about it so just adjust your attitude, shut up or leave.

BTW, I quoted BenLast but I'm in no way speaking about him in that last sentence. Just want to be clear about that ;-)

hate to keep this going, but why would anyone think that just because they put something on a wish list they were going to get it? i mean, do most wishes come true? If I put that I want a billion dollars and Candace Swanepeol for my concubine will that make it happen? do i get to whine if it doesn't?

hate to keep this going, but why would anyone think that just because they put something on a wish list they were going to get it? i mean, do most wishes come true? If I put that I want a billion dollars and Candace Swanepeol for my concubine will that make it happen? do i get to whine if it doesn't?

False equivalency. Making random "wishing well" type wishes is an completely different subject from posting requests in a forum section that's set up specifically for people to make requests, a number of which have been enacted.

But, sure, keep minimizing it as "whining."

Then get rid of the "Wish LIst" section of the forum or be clearer with people that post in there regarding if and when and why or why they won't be seeing the changes they're "wishing" for there. For those of us that don't post "wishes" in that section, it's readily apparent how many you guys listen to and follow through on, but for individuals that have posted about that ONE amp they feel they need and then don't see it show up and aren't given a solid indication as to why, seeing the forest for the trees isn't quite as easy. It seems kind of... I don't know... something... to instead just write those individuals off as "some people."
I would have to disagree with you Ben. There is a way to ask for new features and amps respectfully and then there is the tactic that some use on this forum of flinging poo like a spider monkey & acting all indignant when such a "request" does not merit an acknowledgement.

Several of the features I requested in the last year of ownership actually came to pass. As a bedroom composer I don't rate like the beta testers or touring pros, I merit the attention of an ingrown hair on one's hind quarters . i know that in terms of the weight of my observations.

Yet FAS still reads my kind suggestions and acts on some of them. To me that's pretty damn cool and deserving of my continued hard earned dollars supporting other prpducts that advance my craft.

Chris

I have enjoyed your vids and was really looking forward to checking out the latest one today, which is the first bit of free time I have had so am gutted its not going to be there. Hope you have a rethink. I think your output may be valued more than you realise, but like everyone else it is getting impossible to generate any income in the current climate. The amount of venues for live bands that have shut around here in the last year is astonishing, I dont think anyone does music as their main job anymore. Its a depressing situation. On the upside we have £000's of music equipment all packed into one little box.

The wish list is just as it implies. A list of wishes. MANY of the wish list items have come to fruition over the years. Some within weeks of appearing on list and others many years later. That even one becomes a reality is remarkable in my opinion and a testament to Fractal. They actually do listen.

Let's be logical here. Some wishes might be very simple to develop and implement. Others might be possible but require a great deal of work which could impact other projects. Others still might simply be illogical or impossible to accomplish given hardware, software, or time restrictions. The wish list allows users to dream up an idea that maybe never crossed Cliff's or any of the other developers minds or even if it had to make them aware that many would like to see it. Simple as that.

And how cool is it that they actually read them and might just put your idea in the black box. In times where many companies don't even address bugs to the users satisfaction I find it astonishing that anyone would complain about such a communication tool with the development team and CEO.

I totally agree with the above comment on the grade school tactics of many who just bitch when their "wish" has not implemented for whatever reason over whatever timeframe. FAS does not owe anyone an explanation on why they chose not to implement a wish item and suggesting they do is just plain absurd. As stated above there could be numerous reasons why something was not developed and implemented do to feasibility. It could even be as simple as it's on the horizon and they just haven't got to it yet. Or hey, maybe it's not even being looked at because the requester is acting like a self entitled idiot.

Now back to the thread topic... My wish is that Chris will take a step back and realize that many people are very appreciative of his efforts and find that he always has a place here on the forum to return to and many friends that would welcome him back. And no Chris, you don't owe me or anyone an explanation whatever you choose to do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom