Anyone have success with the Stylus pick?

Suhrfer

Experienced
I refuse to believe that bad habits are permanent, but damn it is tedious trying to correct them!

A few months ago I used it for a few weeks and saw noticeable improvement. It's on the plan to work with again. Just haven't focused on picking technique as much the last month.

I practices all seven major scales (three note per string patters) in all keys for those two weeks, every day. I did eighth, sixteenth and eighth note triplets from very slow to speeds I could handle. Everything from up and down the scale to three and four note groups. Every day was a new key. Spent about 30 minutes each day with this. Teaches you not to dig in as much with a regular pick.

Remember when you were a kid riding a skateboard slowly down the sidewalk and the tinniest of pebbles would wedge under one of your wheels stopping your skateboard immediately allowing all of your inertia to continue to scrapedville?

It's like that.

I used a stylist for a while and saw significant improvement. Should find that sucker again.

I used a stylist for a while and saw significant improvement.

Seems to work for a lot of musicians, but personally I don't want anyone telling me what to wear.. (sorry just a little joke with your typo, there's a big difference between a stylus and a stylist ;)

Back on topic, anyone here experimenting with the 'downward pick-slanting' technique discussed in the Cracking the Code videos? Been working on that here and my alternate picking is definitely improving.

Back on topic, anyone here experimenting with the 'downward pick-slanting' technique discussed in the Cracking the Code videos? Been working on that here and my alternate picking is definitely improving.

Weird, I looked into that just now. Like the "literally never heard of that till I read your comment, and decided to check it out," kind of just now, and apparently, that's what I've always done. It just felt natural.

Yeah, it's something Yngwie seems to do without thinking about it either, so you're in good company. I've found doing it consciously has helped me as well as the 'letting your pick fall though to the next string' method he discusses too, really helps for fast 3 note per string scales. I've always used a mixture of alternate and economy picking but never consciously worked out the most efficient method for playing particular parts, I'm finding it's helping me to do so though.

The most extreme example is Marty Friedman I guess, the way he holds his pick looks pretty strange but he seems to be angling the pick down considerably too.

My picking technique improved in orders of magnitude when I was working with the stylus pick. It's about time I bust that out again.

So you guys use it to train your picking technique ?
or do you actually enjoy playing with them ?

bought a couple several years ago and hated them gave it about 10 minutes and then chalked it up as a complete failure ..
maybe I should find them and give them a chance again .. I just couldn't imagine how I could ever play anything with them ..

wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong though .. :)

The cheap version of this is to cut your standard .59 pick down so it has a point on it.

Not the same. One of the main things it trains is how much pick to use. Because of the conical shape, if you dig too deep or tilt it too much, it catches on the string and will pull the pick out of your hand.

Wow, this thing is still around. I bought them with the original Stylus Pick method book in the nineties, and I still play one of the exercises from time to time - with a normal pick, although I still have the Stylus

Pulled one out after reading this thread yesterday, and now I understand it better and I have to say it does focus the picking technique ...having said that I've been working a lot on my picking technique for a year and a half .. so I am sure that's part of why I feel it makes more sense now ..

gonna use it for my "daily picking workout" for a couple of weeks and see what happens :)

I've never seen the instruction though ..

anyway thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

If you want to shred its a great tool to teach you to only use the very tip of your pick. If you want to play blues based rock, it's pointless. I've had and used it on and off since the 80s.

Back
Top Bottom