SV Bass model questions

mr_fender

Axe-Master
I was wondering what settings are modeled on the SV Bass model. I know it's based on the SVT Classic head, but what about the Ultra Hi and Lo buttons and the Mid Frequency select knob? What settings of these controls are the model based on?

+1. To me, the default starting settings for the SV Bass don't feel familiar and never have...they are much more warm and wooly than they are aggressive and grindy (which is how I remember my SVT Classic rig). Regardless...

I know that the MESA 5 band GEq was accommodated as an option on the EQ tab of the Amp Block. How about the same thing added for the SV Bass model, which emulates each of the mid frequency bands on the 5 way selector (Q/Bandwidth fixed to mimic the exact specs of the SVT mid controls: 220-450-800-1.6k-3k)? (Perhaps one of the existing EQ options gets close to this...I'm not at my AxeFx now, and I don't remember.)

To complete the thought, the Bright switch seems self-explanatory to mimic the Ultr-HI switch, but the AxeFx has the Bass CUT switch, which doesn't exist on the real SVT Classic (but it does on the original Blue-line series). Any way to suss this out so Bass CUT mimics the Ultra-Low switch? Or should the SV-Bass be modeled to include the Ultra-Lo engaged by default, so that then the Bass CUT switch would bring it back to the amp's "normal" settings? According to the SVT CL owner's manual, the Ultra-Low adds a 2dB boost at 40hz and a simultaneous cut of 10dB at 500Hz.

I've always been good with the SV Bass model, but I'd love to see these tweaks breathe new life into it, and localize all of the tone shapers needed to get the full emulation. Pretty please? [Apologies for hijacking with a wish list item.]

Last edited:
+1. To me, the default starting settings for the SV Bass don't feel familiar and never have...they are much more warm and wooly than they are aggressive and grindy (which is how I remember my SVT Classic rig). Regardless...

I'll check again, but I think recent firmware has better "default" settings on the SV Bass model.

jimfist - to "mimic" the Ultra-HI and Ultra-LO, just use two PEQ blocks.

Have one that that has +9dB @ 8Khz with a roughly Q of 1.1, set to Peaking mode. You can make any of the 5 frequency sets this, and leave the rest alone. Engage/disengage for Ultra-HI :)

Have one that has +2dB @ 40Hz (0.500 Q, Peaking, though may want to try Shelving too), and a -10dB @ 500Hz (0.707 Q, Peaking). Use two of the frequency sets for this (can just use the first page, 1+5). Engage/disengage for Ultra-LO.

If you find yourself commonly running with U-LO and U-HI engaged all the time, you can combine them into one PEQ block, too.

I may make a guide on getting the SV BASS close to a "true" SVT. I own both a 1969 (yes, real deal 1969 with the 6146As) and a 2000's SVT-CL. It'll be pretty daunting though, and I don't know when I'll get time to... but I'll add it to my list of "things I can do for the FAS community"

jimfist - to "mimic" the Ultra-HI and Ultra-LO, just use two PEQ blocks.

Have one that that has +9dB @ 8Khz with a roughly Q of 1.1, set to Peaking mode. You can make any of the 5 frequency sets this, and leave the rest alone. Engage/disengage for Ultra-HI :)

Have one that has +2dB @ 40Hz (0.500 Q, Peaking, though may want to try Shelving too), and a -10dB @ 500Hz (0.707 Q, Peaking). Use two of the frequency sets for this (can just use the first page, 1+5). Engage/disengage for Ultra-LO.

If you find yourself commonly running with U-LO and U-HI engaged all the time, you can combine them into one PEQ block, too.

I may make a guide on getting the SV BASS close to a "true" SVT. I own both a 1969 (yes, real deal 1969 with the 6146As) and a 2000's SVT-CL. It'll be pretty daunting though, and I don't know when I'll get time to... but I'll add it to my list of "things I can do for the FAS community"

Great, selta! Thanks much...good stuff. Now if we could only convince FAS to put these switch tweaks into the SV Bass model to save a couple extra blocks and layout grid real estate. I love economy!

:eagerness:

I'm just not sure how they could implement them. They could add additional switches to the amp models I suppose. It would be actually kind of neat if there were switches that were user - definable. Maybe give two "blank" switches on the Amp pages that allow some sort of functionality. I don't see FAS doing this though, as it breaks away from the design philosophy. Only other option I can see right now would be to "bake in" the U-HI and U-LO to the amp model, but then they'd be "always on", and people that don't use them would be fighting them with aggressive EQ curves. It would be nice to have though, to save blocks and CPU cycles.

It's only a matter of whether FAS would want to create discrete SV Bass models for the Ultra Hi/Ultra Lo switch positions. They've done this for various Mesa and Marshall amps, but I'd doubt this is enough of a burning issue to them that they'd go so far as to indulge it. So, we're left to EQs and such, or possibly tone matching or IRs created from Tone Matches to use as overlays to force the tone footprint of the switch positions on the signal path. Oh well. I think EQ will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom