linking two blocs AMP

Algone

Inspired
Hi, i use a preset in stéréo with two blocs AMP (1&2) work out them in the mix in Cubase.
Is it possible to link the two AMP block to adjust them together?
I try with "Global Link" without succes :grey:

Damned, it would be interesting to do that, for adjust some rythmic preset in the mix in stéréo.
Maybe in a future update? 8)

Having two identical amp blocks will sound just a single amp block, just louder.

I think this would be good if you wanted to run stereo effects to the front of amp. This would be very useful if we wanted to run FX8 to the front of Axe.

I think this would be good if you wanted to run stereo effects to the front of amp. This would be very useful if we wanted to run FX8 to the front of Axe.

Yes, but then it wouldn't be similar amps. Because one would need to have its Input set to left, and Balance to left, and the other Input:right and Balance:right.

So there would be differences. "Linking" would require specifying exactly which amp parameters would be linked and which not. And there are so many amp parameters.

I don't think I would use such a feature, but making the AMP block true stereo seems like a more natural fit than a "link" that spans two blocks?

This is the only weakness in the Axe in my opinion. It's the thing way above anything else on my wishlist. Not necessary the ability to 'link' amps but just to run the amp block in stereo - please, PLEASE - pretty pretty please!

I know it would take twice the CPU - only enable it on amp1 and automatically bypass amp two if amp1 is set to process in stereo.

Likewise for the drive blocks.

ALL ITB amp plug-ins that I know of allow you to do this. If you're using the Axe as a studio effect it's pretty much a must-have. Even for guitar many fx that process in stereo sound very different if processed in stereo rather than mono at the amp stage (or processed in stereo after the amp). I'd love to be able to use the Axe to process drums for instance, rather than relying on the many (inferior) distortion plug-ins I own.

cheers

Adding a 2nd Amp block increases CPU with just a couple of percent.

It's easy and fast with AE. Copy AMP1 (Edit Block > Copy) and paste it onto AMP2 (Edit Block > Paste), then set "Input Select" and "Balance" to the opposite values of AMP1.

Yes, but then it wouldn't be similar amps. Because one would need to have its Input set to left, and Balance to left, and the other Input:right and Balance:right.

So there would be differences. "Linking" would require specifying exactly which amp parameters would be linked and which not. And there are so many amp parameters.

Or you could use panning to the input and then L+R sum in the amp to sort that out, and therefore keep the amps identical, with all parameters linked. Personally I'd like this to be a feature because I have two guitarists playing through the axe in stereo, one amp each. If I need to adjust the EQ etc to suit a particular venue, I don't have to do it twice.

Anyway, the amp block isn't the only block that might need linked blocks. I'm sure there's loads of effects that people might want "identical twin" versions of in the same preset

Or you could use panning to the input and then L+R sum in the amp to sort that out, and therefore keep the amps identical, with all parameters linked.

L+R Sum does what it says it does: it sums left and right to mono. So that's no use.

Only hard-panned effects before the amp can be split into separate paths (using as VOL block) and led to separate amps.
Most effects are not hard-panned.

I'm sure there's loads of effects that people might want "identical twin" versions of in the same preset

Can you describe such scenarios? TBH I can't think of (m)any, except when a player needs two paths: 1x FRFR, and 1x tube power amp with cab.

L+R Sum does what it says it does: it sums left and right to mono. So that's no use.

Only hard-panned effects before the amp can be split into separate paths (using as VOL block) and led to separate amps.
Most effects are not hard-panned.

Can you describe such scenarios? TBH I can't think of (m)any, except when a player needs two paths: 1x FRFR, and 1x tube power amp with cab.

Sorry, should have been more specific: vol/pan blocks before the amps (one each, panned respectively), so that each amp only receives one side of the original stereo signal. Amps will then of course output a signal equal in both left and right halves of the stereo signal, so would need a mixer to re-mix the correct sides etc...

No, can't think of any off the top of my head, I'll admit that :D But it's something I've wondered about for a while (for my own, unusual scenario of two guitarists into one Axe), hence why I chipped in.

Sorry, should have been more specific: vol/pan blocks before the amps (one each, panned respectively), so that each amp only receives one side of the original stereo signal. Amps will then of course output a signal equal in both left and right halves of the stereo signal, so would need a mixer to re-mix the correct sides etc...

But that'll only work with hard-panned fx. And there aren't many. Most stereo fx pan somewhere inbetween (except ping-pong delays and such). This means the VOL blocks would not get fully Left / Right signals but mixed ones, and splitting would not work optimally...

Not that I'm against it. Just pointing out obstacles.

What would you like to accomplish with it?
I record two reamp (side left side right) for rhythmic, panned, with the AsioForAll drivers i adjust my preset in the mix (in Cubase), with bass and drum, and it's very good. But, i must set the each AMP, if i can "link" there it would be more pratical

This is a good idea for the RAC12... i'll do it
It's a good thing :encouragement:

But that'll only work with hard-panned fx. And there aren't many. Most stereo fx pan somewhere inbetween (except ping-pong delays and such). This means the VOL blocks would not get fully Left / Right signals but mixed ones, and splitting would not work optimally...

Not that I'm against it. Just pointing out obstacles.

Yup. Personally I don't need any of that though ;) Agree with the obstacles, they're not relevant to me but I imagine they might be cause for annoyance for others. Though of course you could have separate (doubled) fx blocks between the amp and volume blocks, then have different parameters in the fx blocks, making them truly hard-panned stereo...

This is a good idea for the RAC12... i'll do it ;)

Dammit Al, that unit is getting more and more perfect :D

Are you recording two different takes and trying to reamp them at the same time? Why not just reamp the two tracks separately? No offense, I'm just curious about a technique I've not tried yet.

Adding a 2nd Amp block increases CPU with just a couple of percent.

I'm talking about on the second DSP chip (the one reserved for amps). Presumably there's not enough CPU there to run two amps in stereo.

It's easy and fast with AE. Copy AMP1 (Edit Block > Copy) and paste it onto AMP2 (Edit Block > Paste), then set "Input Select" and "Balance" to the opposite values of AMP1.

This is true, but it's not like tweaking in realtime and feels like a kludge. If you're working with complex source material (ie a drum kit) you need to get the settings you like in mono, switch to a stereo setup, copy/paste the amp, then hope your settings still sound OK. It's a pain in the arse and a creativity killer.

Seems ridiculous to me in this age of digital flexibility we're still restricted (on the Axe anyway) to mono amps and drive blocks. It's still the probably best bit of kit I've ever bought though ;)

Hi, i use a preset in stéréo with two blocs AMP (1&2) work out them in the mix in Cubase.
Is it possible to link the two AMP block to adjust them together?
I try with "Global Link" without succes :grey:

What is it that you are trying to adjust... Volume, Gain ? why not assign the same CC to those parameters in each amp, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom