Pick Two Factory Cabs to Replace

001 and 002. if for no other reason that when selecting a new cab it would good if the first choice that pops up when selecting a default cab is something that a lot of people would use a lot of the time.

001 and 002. if for no other reason that when selecting a new cab it would good if the first choice that pops up when selecting a default cab is something that a lot of people would use a lot of the time.

Or you know...for the sake of consistency...put it with the other ultra-res cabs towards the end.

I'm not a fan of the Kalthallens.

114 can go because of 119.

Difference between 122 and 138?

104 can go because of 128 and 139?
91 can go because of 123 and 137?

Is anyone still using the far-fields?

Etc.

I am. I still find a good use for the FF IRs and wish they'll stay. Otherwise, I don't mind which ones go.

I'm not a fan of the Kalthallens.

114 can go because of 119.

Difference between 122 and 138?

104 can go because of 128 and 139?
91 can go because of 123 and 137?

Is anyone still using the far-fields?

Etc.

As always I agree with Yek - not a fan of the Kalthallens and I haven't used far-fields for a looong time. I'd ditch those first.

I'm not with my Axe now so can't check the factory IR's for other candidates for deletion.
But really I use UltraRes (FAS and OH) IR's almost exclusively so for me most other IR's could go without me losing any sleep.

I might be the only one that feels this way but is there a way to make every single cab sound as clear as Clark Kent's (I think it was his) "Gift IR"?

I almost use that exclusively now because it blows my mind how clear and "in-your-face" it is. Just phenomenal work. I just don't seem to be able to get the same clarity with a lot of other cabs for some reason.

I'd say dump 2 of the Kalthallen V30's especially considering the fact that there are more of those in the unit.
Also the fact that they are available for free on the internet seems like an unbeatable argument :).
If anybody really wants all of those v30 kalthallens on the unit at least they would still be able to have them as usercabs.

None of the that I'm using :). Seriously, I can adapt to anything you put out. So, far you're batting 1000!

Or you know...for the sake of consistency...put it with the other ultra-res cabs towards the end.

There’s really no great options when we’re running out of space. If not most IR’s are going to be renumbered, you’d have to start replacing backwards - 113 and 112.

But since this is likely going to happen again and again (you’re not looking like you’re slowing down innovating Cliff :)), I propose then to start with a clean house from Fw17:

- 1-20: The new UltraRes IR’s.
- 20- (about 100): Good solid standard IR’s that are not going in the immediate future.
- 101-132: Probationary IR’s that are likely to replaced when new UR IR’s appear in the nearish future.

OR actually even better.

Just ditch all but UltraRes IR’s in Fw17 and offer a “legacy” cab back with all the standard res IR’s for those that are hooked on any of the old IR’s.

Out with the old and in with the new!

Maybe it would be a good idea to implement a process to move IR numbers around during the update so that’s possible to keep the naming scheme. So if we start from scratch with Fw17 and IR #1 is the 1x12 AC-20 Dlx Mix, and say in Fw18 a 1x6 Oval UltraRes IR is added, we can still add that as IR #1, move the 1x12 AC-20 Dlx Mix to IR #2 and any preset that has selected IR #1 will use IR #2 during the update. The only challenge with that is that presets done in Axe Change and distributed in the forum will have the wrong numbers.

Hmm, thinking as I’m writing some more. Maybe this is the time to add meta data to the UltraRes IR’s. It would be nice to not just have name and size and so on, but this would also be an opportunity to add a unique identifier for the IR that has nothing to do with the place where it would be stored in the Axe Fx 2. The identifier can be as simple as a SHA-1 checksum of the IR itself. This would mean that all the IR’s could be moved around as much as needed and all presets would still find the correct IR, now and in the future. This would also mean that if someone posts a preset with a OH 3rd party IR and they have stored the IR as U001 and I have the same IR stored as U050, the system would still find the correct IR for this preset.

Last edited:
Keep any permanently removed IRs as downloadable resources that come with the firmware update… other than that, go nuts! Maybe a new revision of the factory presets to go with the new IRs… the bottom line is, we all know you want the out-of-the-box Axe to sound its best, and we've all reaped the rewards. What's not to like?

Back
Top Bottom