Clarification of LF resonance with real cab (speaker tab)

Hey guys.

Quick question - once I know what frequency to pick for my cab, and roughly which amount and Q to use, is it ok and expected to use the same settings for every amp model?

I'm doing that at the moment and it sounds good, I'm just wondering if in theory different amps would produce a different amount/Q. Or is this handled through other aspects of the poweramp modelling?

I'm using a GT1000FX and a Mesa 2x12 cabinet. I don't have the thread bookmarked at work but I found the results from another poster where he found the resonance at about 114hz. Those settings work much better than the settings I was using at 90hz with wider Q and lower amount, the response feels tighter and punchier through my cab with less flub.

Thanks for your help.

Hey guys.

Quick question - once I know what frequency to pick for my cab, and roughly which amount and Q to use, is it ok and expected to use the same settings for every amp model?

I'm doing that at the moment and it sounds good, I'm just wondering if in theory different amps would produce a different amount/Q. Or is this handled through other aspects of the poweramp modelling?

I'm using a GT1000FX and a Mesa 2x12 cabinet. I don't have the thread bookmarked at work but I found the results from another poster where he found the resonance at about 114hz. Those settings work much better than the settings I was using at 90hz with wider Q and lower amount, the response feels tighter and punchier through my cab with less flub.

Thanks for your help.

Glad my settings were helpful to you! I noticed the same effect you did - tighter bass. My exact settings are:

Low Freq=114.26hz
Low Res=5.79
Low Q=3.173

Glad my settings were helpful to you! I noticed the same effect you did - tighter bass. My exact settings are:

Low Freq=114.26hz
Low Res=5.79
Low Q=3.173

I got your Frequency from this thread, but you didn't post the Q and Res amount - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...esa-4x12-low-res-frequency-2.html#post1090183

One of the other posts in the thread has this info (post 23)-

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it has V30's then the settings should be as follows... the Celestion website says that the V30 comes with a DC Resistance of either 7.3ohms or 12.9ohms

Low Freq 82.5hz
Low Q 2.000
Low Res 7.41 (for 12.9 ohms DC) 9.47 (for 7.3 ohms DC)

See whatever sounds best, have a play about with the Q too to find the sweet spot. But it definitely sounds right to me on my end."

So far I've been using your frequency response with the Q and Res from that post - actually I've been trying various levels from 7-9 with a Q of 2 and they all sound pretty good but maybe a bit over the top. The Recto is really shaking walls, but then so did my real one.

Is the Q and Res a number you got from the same REQ measurement? Or did you discover it by ear?

I'll have to try it tomorrow to see what the difference feels like.

Last edited:
The Q and Res values are from what I calculated from the same results in REW, using Cliff's formulas in the "About Speaker LF Resonance" thread in the Cliff Notes section.

One thing I will note is that my v30's are very well broken in (read: old) so these values may differ from your cabinet slightly. I know my guitarist's relatively new Mesa 2x12 sounds a bit brighter than mine using the same exact patch. I may get around to measuring his cab, just for curiosities sake.

The Q and Res values are from what I calculated from the same results in REW, using Cliff's formulas in the "About Speaker LF Resonance" thread in the Cliff Notes section.

One thing I will note is that my v30's are very well broken in (read: old) so these values may differ from your cabinet slightly. I know my guitarist's relatively new Mesa 2x12 sounds a bit brighter than mine using the same exact patch. I may get around to measuring his cab, just for curiosities sake.

Yeah I've been using my cab regularly at band volume for a couple of years now, it is well broken in and sounds fantastic.

It would be interesting to see the results if you do manage to test the newer cabinet.

Thanks very much for your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom