Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.01 Released

FW 16.00

Cleaner, but defined, smoother and more accurate.
The amps that I use are Vox's, Marshalls and Fenders.

Unfortunately, there's an audible noise during the change of presets.

I will finally be getting some time to update my FW and tweak patches.

2 questions:

I am on FW 12.02. Can I update directly to 16.00?

Also, I saw the comment earlier about not having to resent amps as FW 16.00 now does it. Does this apply even if you are updating from 12.02?

FW 16.00

Cleaner, but defined, smoother and more accurate.
The amps that I use are Vox's, Marshalls and Fenders.

Unfortunately, there's an audible noise during the change of presets.

I agree, it sounds cleaner & more open. Low end is much more realistic. Also, on the clean sounds, the higher strings have more weight & body. I also have heard an audible noise or thump when changing presets. Overall a great update!

Last edited:
I am on FW 12.02. Can I update directly to 16.00?

Also, I saw the comment earlier about not having to resent amps as FW 16.00 now does it. Does this apply even if you are updating from 12.02?

Yes and yes. Both are automated in the FW update process. Enjoy mate.

So I had some time today to do some Tone Matches of Version 16 to the real amps. In previous firmwares there was always some error in the bass frequencies. I was shocked to see that the error is now virtually eliminated.

This is the red channel of a 5150 III.

IMG_0671.JPG

So I had some time today to do some Tone Matches of Version 16 to the real amps. In previous firmwares there was always some error in the bass frequencies. I was shocked to see that the error is now virtually eliminated.

Fantastic! By the way the 5153 Red sounds unreal in 16. Massive. I feel like the bass knob finally adds usable bass not murky mud.

yeahhh... the sweet sixteen is in!!!

First impressions:
Overall sound is Fuller
the tunk is REAL
some little fizzyness in the "old" FW (easy to tweack out even with the tone of the guitar) now is out
basses are beefy 3Dimensional and rounded
high are more heavy... have mass... no tiny sound
drive amp are more euphonic
yes... there is a slight TUMP changing presets... but if it's the prize for the TUNK effect... so I wanna stay with the TUNK!!!
For my old and ruined ears... it's definitively... another Cliff's GOAL and a real and effective step forward to the perfection!
TNX guys @FAS

Just this week I was fiddling with my clean Fender patches trying to dial out a weird honk in them. This upgrade fixed it. I guess it was that the bass in the older firmwares was a little flubby, but now I can add it back in to balance the midrange out without getting mud.

I have the same question can anybody chime to confirm this?

Ok, here is what I was talking about. If I'm way off base on this, someone please let it be known to the internet masses and put my tom foolery to rest. I don't *think* you need to reset the amp blocks with this FW. Nothing in the release notes says one way or another (that I saw). My reasoning is from this thread (excerpt below):

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...public-beta-update-beta1-now-available-2.html

Mark I/II: www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/16.0/axefx2_16p00.zip

XL: www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/16.0/axefx2_xl_16p00.zip

We were going to wait to release 16.00 as we are working on some other enhancements but we felt that the improvements to the amp modeling justified releasing it now so that we can get this firmware into currently shipping units.

If you installed the beta (16.00beta1) then that firmware is identical and you don't need to update.

Nice! Adding a little more sorcery as nourishment for whatever evil beast is locked up inside this little metal tomb of tone...

IMG_0671.JPG

As an engineer, this turns me on way more than people talking about the update sounding more thumpy or more chewy or more insert adjective herey.

Back
Top Bottom