New passive graphic EQ is the $hit

i add passive 5 bands after all my mid gain presets, after cab... !!! tone comes to life, that's it.

Yek, When you add this passive EQ after your cab block do you still use the low & high cut in the cab block like you used to? I dont have the XL so I can't see your presets anymore for reference.

Well color me happy. I don't know what Cliff means by "hit record from the 70s and 80s". I'm using this thing to cut highs and lows and just a smidgeon of the 240 region, and holy buckets. No more need for low and high cut in the cab block, and it seems to SATURATE the tone of the guitar in the mids by adding this.

Along with Scott Peterson's advice of adding a very very small amount of reverb to the mix and I've got myself some very crushing modern high gain going on. This is quite the thing, gentlemen.

OK, I searched the Wiki and see that the cab block is linear. Since I'm technically challenged, I still don't understand what the hell that means *LOL* More importantly, it still doesn't confirm that it doesn't matter what order the cab and EQ block are in.

OK, I searched the Wiki and see that the cab block is linear. Since I'm technically challenged, I still don't understand what the hell that means *LOL* More importantly, it still doesn't confirm that it doesn't matter what order the cab and EQ block are in.

Linear means that the output is related to the input by a straight line: y = mx + b. Filters are example of linear systems. A cabinet IR is a filter. Distortion is an example of a nonlinear system.

Linear systems are associative and commutative. Associative means that a * (b * c) = (a * b) * c.

Commutative means that a + b = b + a or a * b = b * a. Therefore you can do cab -> eq (a * b) or eq -> cab (b * a).

The cab block is not "completely" linear if motor drive is non-zero but it is "wide sense stationary" so you can treat it as linear.

Linear means that the output is related to the input by a straight line: y = mx + b. Filters are example of linear systems. A cabinet IR is a filter. Distortion is an example of a nonlinear system.

Linear systems are associative and commutative. Associative means that a * (b * c) = (a * b) * c.

Commutative means that a + b = b + a or a * b = b * a. Therefore you can do cab -> eq (a * b) or eq -> cab (b * a).

The cab block is not "completely" linear if motor drive is non-zero but it is "wide sense stationary" so you can treat it as linear.

Thanks, Cliff.

So am I reading Cliffs comments correctly that using the passive EQ in the amp block or putting one after the cab will sound the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what he is saying is having an EQ block in front of or behind the cab block doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure on the one built in to the amp block. If there is any power amp interaction going on in there it could be non-linear.

So am I reading Cliffs comments correctly that using the passive EQ in the amp block or putting one after the cab will sound the same?

That was the entire reason for my question. From his response, the answer is yes!

That was the entire reason for my question. From his response, the answer is yes!

I don't think so. He was saying no difference in putting the EQ block before or after the cab.

As was mentioned above, the EQ in the amp block may be impacted by power amp distortion.

Last edited:
I don't think so. He was saying no difference in putting the EQ block before or after the cab.

As was mentioned above, the EQ in the amp block may be impacted by power amp distortion.

My question was not related to the EQ in the amp block.

My question was not related to the EQ in the amp block.

You replied to the previous post which was about the EQ in the amp block and said that was the reason for your question... Maybe you missed that part?

:)

I was responding to AZG's post when I mentioned the amp block.

"So am I reading Cliffs comments correctly that using the passive EQ in the amp block or putting one after the cab will sound the same?"

Yes that is correct, unless you are using (a lot of) motor drive in the cab block.
As you turn up the motor drive the cab block becomes increasingly non-linear, and there might be a difference in sound depending on the placement of the EQ (amp/pre cab vs post cab)

Back
Top Bottom