if a Pro reverb is basically a super reverb, then how can you emulate it perfectly?

Andre Antunes

Inspired
For example: which value should i set the mids on a super verb model to replicate the sound of a pro reverb? (The pro reverb doesnt have a mid control thats why im asking)

Thanks!

The Pro Reverb does have a middle control. It's a resistor on the back of the bass pot. What I've been told, is that the value of the resistor is equivalent to having your
mid control on 7. Have you tried using the BF tone stack with fixed mid? Most, if not all, Fender bass and treble tone stacks use the same circuit.

using the right cab may even be more important than the Mid control.
Mid on 7 could be correct. I could be entirely wrong here, but isn't it that Fender tone controls on 7 are "neutral" ?

It's a fool's errand.

Amplifiers are a pile of parts in series. Depending on the time of manufacture, those parts may be +/- 20% each. The cumulative effect a dozen parts deep can be tremendous.

Everyone tells themselves they have a good one, even those modeling.

yep. Super = 4x10. Pro = 2x12. Pro reverb is basically a half power twin reverb with fixed mid controls. Twin reverb with 2 tubes pulled is close, but still sounds very different because the transformers are much bigger (85 watts vs 40 watts).

yep. Super = 4x10. Pro = 2x12. Pro reverb is basically a half power twin reverb with fixed mid controls. Twin reverb with 2 tubes pulled is close, but still sounds very different because the transformers are much bigger (85 watts vs 40 watts).

The black face Pro from 62-65 with the AA763 circuit had a single 15" speaker.

The AA763 circuit is the only common circuit between the Pro and Super as in the OP question.

Other years of the Pro had different circuits and speaker configurations.

That's true. Wasn't there a 2x10 version of the pro reverb too? Fender had a lot of different configurations through the years.

The black face Pro from 62-65 with the AA763 circuit had a single 15" speaker.

The AA763 circuit is the only common circuit between the Pro and Super as in the OP question.

Other years of the Pro had different circuits and speaker configurations.
I've heard people claim as well that the Pro is very similar to a VibroVerb, apart from enclosure and speakers of course. Cliff would probably know what's closest.

I've heard people claim as well that the Pro is very similar to a VibroVerb, apart from enclosure and speakers of course. Cliff would probably know what's closest.

The field guide gives specific circuits and schematics for the various years so that's what I always go by, the circuit name.

In the case of the Pro, over the entire time of manufacture, there were many different circuits. The Pro came out in the 40's :)

The field guide gives specific circuits and schematics for the various years so that's what I always go by, the circuit name.

In the case of the Pro, over the entire time of manufacture, there were many different circuits. The Pro came out in the 40's :)
True, but the OP was asking about the Pro REVERB, and that came out in the 60s, shortly after the VibroVerb had been discontinued.

The super is also 2 ohms on the output transformer....more differences than just +/- 20% resister and capacitor differences. I have never played two that sounded the same.

True, but the OP was asking about the Pro REVERB, and that came out in the 60s, shortly after the VibroVerb had been discontinued.

Yep but the Pro Reverb circuits are not the same as any Super.

I guess that was my point, the only Pro close to the Super was the blackface Pro (non reverb) with a 1x15.

Yep but the Pro Reverb circuits are not the same as any Super.

I guess that was my point, the only Pro close to the Super was the blackface Pro (non reverb) with a 1x15.
true again :) . while you were on the Super, I was thinking about hearing the Vibro being close. I guess with a good Pro IR (which is in one of the early cabpacks, eventhough not UR) I guess you could get close enough to a Pro with any of the two models...

The Blackface Pro Reverb, model AA165, was virtually identical to the AB763 Super Reverb except for the speakers and tone stacks. If you use the Super Verb model and set the Tone Stack type to Blackface you'll basically have a Pro Reverb. Set the Mid control fairly high to emulate the fixed 6.8K mid resistor. I'd say around 7 or 8.

Another minor difference between the Super and Pro Reverb would be the midrange cap in the circuit. The Super uses a .033uf and the Pro uses a .047uf.
The Super uses a 10K pot for variable midrange level and the Pro, a 6.8K resistor for a fixed midrange level.

Back
Top Bottom