Upcoming Axe-Fx II Streaming Class

They don't look the same. For example, during the course for the rock tone, Cooper use the F147 on the XL wich is "Mar-Cb M-BB-55 Mix (OH)". There is not such a cab on the zip file... :(

I replaced the cab that is unavailable by default on the II. You are welcome to load that one into your II.

Looking forward to getting out of hospital (again!) so I can purchase these to watch during my home recovery.

I replaced the cab that is unavailable by default on the II. You are welcome to load that one into your II.

Oh, I actually did not checked (yet!) your presets, in fact I dialed while watching the course (I used the new factory "TV Mix 2" and get pretty close results). Thanks for your answer, I will load your preset and have a look ! :)

Oh, I actually did not checked (yet!) your presets, in fact I dialed while watching the course (I used the new factory "TV Mix 2" and get pretty close results). Thanks for your answer, I will load your preset and have a look ! :)

I actually replaced it with the TV Mix 2, I believe.

That question about no X/Y on the Comp block during the videos (IIRC it was the comp block?) is another minor difference between Mark I/II and XL?

I believe the XL has more X/Y states on blocks than the I/II.

I've watched the whole video series. Well worth the time and money.

I ended up adding one or two new techniques to my bag of tricks.

That question about no X/Y on the Comp block during the videos (IIRC it was the comp block?) is another minor difference between Mark I/II and XL?

I believe the XL has more X/Y states on blocks than the I/II.

I've watched the whole video series. Well worth the time and money.

I ended up adding one or two new techniques to my bag of tricks.

Yes, due to increased preset memory on the XL, some blocks have more X/Ys.

Thanks for the great class - I watched two of the vids so far , fun and informative to tweak along . This axe edit thing is kinda cool maybe I'll actually use it !

The Rig preset - no sound on scenes 2-5

Not sure if anyone ran into this issue with Cooper's "The Rig" preset, but when I imported it, I did not get any sound from scenes 2-5.

I found that in the second delay block, the bypass mode was set to Mute In. As soon as I changed it to Mute Fx In, I got sound on scenes 2-4.

Still no sound on scene 5 yet. Found Y cab level was set to -80 and balance was set to -100. I changed both the level and balance to 0 and then I got sound from scene 5.

I'm not using an XL only a II. I don't believe that's the issue, but now it works.

BTW, Awesome preset! 4 amps, 4 cabs and more all switchable. :encouragement:

Buoght the lesson too. For me as Axe beginner it's a very good investment. Great resource of information!
Thanks!!

Not sure if anyone ran into this issue with Cooper's "The Rig" preset, but when I imported it, I did not get any sound from scenes 2-5.

I found that in the second delay block, the bypass mode was set to Mute In. As soon as I changed it to Mute Fx In, I got sound on scenes 2-4.

Still no sound on scene 5 yet. Found Y cab level was set to -80 and balance was set to -100. I changed both the level and balance to 0 and then I got sound from scene 5.

I'm not using an XL only a II. I don't believe that's the issue, but now it works.

BTW, Awesome preset! 4 amps, 4 cabs and more all switchable. :encouragement:

There are some known issues with levels changing, etc. when importing II presets in an XL. We had to do a rebuild of the presets and then cross import to make the compatible. We thought we caught all the details, but looks like we missed a few.

Last edited:
Cooper,

Hello! I'd like to begin by saying that I watched and purchased your class that you had recently given with Creative Live. Great job! I have been working with the AFX for a little less than a year now and your course really opened up the "how-to's" for me and helped me understand a lot of the thinking process that goes into creating a preset and such.

One thing that I have really been struggling with has been the actual speaker choice/setup for the AFX. Now I know there's a lot of discussions that have gone around concerning FRFR, guitar cabs, Matrix NL12's, etc. and I noticed that during the online class you were playing through a pair of monitors only, from what I could tell, which is exactly how I began when using the AFX. I spent a lot of time creating presets that sounded great, but once I began using my AFX with cabs for live scenarios, that's when everything began to "fall apart". For quite awhile now I've been searching for the best live setup using some sort of backline cab for stage monitoring and that's where I've been really wandering aimlessly.

I understand the benefits of the FRFR and how it works with the UR IR's. I feel the FR solution is the best way to maximize the potential and flexibility of the AFX and is a great way to hear exactly what is being sent to the FOH and what is being recorded in your DAW during a recording session.

In a guitar cab setup, you would turn off the "cab" block and run into a traditional cab, BUT that is going to add color to your tone, so you would be forced to mic your cab for a live/studio setup, as there are no IR's that you'd be using, thus limiting your use of the AFX to amps, but no cabs.

In comes the Matrix NL cabs.. which I believe you're using, as you made a video review of them, and you seemed quite happy. Now those are, from what I know, a traditional guitar cab, but with extended range and offers some FR qualities?? I also hear that some guys use those with IR's as well... which I think you did in the vid you made? In the case of those cabs, do you feel they offer the best mix of flexibility to use IR's within the AFX and yet still be able to run to FOH with your preset and not have to be concerned about too much a difference from what you're hearing from your backline?

Also, it seems like you were utilizing some of the "space" that enhancers, chorus and delay offers in your presets... so that leads me to believe that you're running in stereo when you perform live? I've never run stereo in a live scenario before, but with the flexibility of the AFX, I'm contemplating using it's power to do so, but I'm not sure what extra cabs and such would be necessary to do so successfully.

So far I've purchased a Xitone FRFR cab (1x12) and it's nice, but was lacking something. Somehow my tone just never truly came through... Alive. Sounded "sterile" all the time. Then I began using my traditional guitar cab (2x12 greenbacks) and used an EQ block to tweak my tone. Sounds really good actually, but now I don't get to take advantage of all those UR IR's that can really bring a tone to life and again, no matter what amp I use, I now have the "color" of my greenback speakers. I also would have to mic my amp in a live situation now rather than just send a signal to FOH and feel confident in my tone. So now I'm not sure what to do... buy an NL12 and try that one?? It's just turning into alot of buying cabs, when my AFX has hundreds. Haha!

Overall, I would like to be able to successfully create presets in the AFX and maximize those tones for all my situations (live, studio, etc.) and I'm not sure exactly how that would be achieved with the easiest setup, so I would love to hear about your setup and how you're using your AFX to cross-platform all your performing scenarios. My apologies for my confusion.

Thanks so much for your time and your knowledge!

Sincerely,
Jeff

There are some known issues with levels changing, etc. when importing II presets in an XL. We had to do a rebuild of the presets and then cross import to make the compatible. We thought we caught all the details, but looks like we missed a few.

I saw that too. And by the way, in the last video (the Credits one) the host goes on to talk about enhanced routing and blocks and then it ends. Is there a sequel?? Im sure up for one. :)

MM

Just bought the course. Based on the strength of the "Dialing In A Clean Tone", I had no problem shelling out the dough. Cooper, your an excellent teacher and I can't wait to dive into these lessons so I can finally get past this newbie phase (hey, it's been a year.....time to take the training wheels off :lol).

I hope Cooper does another course like this one but going in to other topics or touching more on topics that he could not go in to more detail because of time ect.

I feel the tuts on consolidating the great presets he built and using them as scenes in one preset was was extremely helpful in shedding light on that aspect of the Axe Fx. But a lot of time was spent on building a preset that even my XL had a memory problem with. Im not sure I would ever use that feature due to that issue.

No worries Cooper. Glad that you thought of the II owners and made them compatible. If it was not for your video about the Rig preset, I may not have figured out what was wrong.
I learned more on how to find no sound issues when you were going through your preset to find your no sound issue during the course.
You may have thought you were stumbling at that moment, but some of us, including me, was learning from even that part of the course.
Thanks again for conducting the class. Heck of a job!

I feel the tuts on consolidating the great presets he built and using them as scenes in one preset was was extremely helpful in shedding light on that aspect of the Axe Fx. But a lot of time was spent on building a preset that even my XL had a memory problem with. Im not sure I would ever use that feature due to that issue.

As I stated several times in that section, that preset was meant more to demonstrate the process than to build a practical preset. In practice, I would never even want to put clean, blues, rock, and hardcore gain in one preset, because I would have no use for it and might as well use different presets entirely. I would highly encourage you not to write off the scenes feature because my ridiculously complex case study pegged the CPU. A few minutes later, I demonstrate how powerful a scenes preset can be with one of my own gig presets. Check out that part.

Back
Top Bottom