SLO 100 Lead

hotlegs

Inspired
I have played a real SLO for about 10 Jears. Since FW15 the master volume is very weird. When set to 5 the amp is very briliant, mids are not very present, when you go to 6,5 you have a dramatic change in the mid frequencies. At 5 the presence control has normal behavior but when you set master to 6.5 presence control reacts like when you crank the real amp to 9 or above. I think the master control on the real amp works not so extreme.

What do you guys think about.

Yes. Something is different with the SLO. I've never played a real one, so I can't compare. Tried some different IRs with good results.

Most famous Soldano users (incl. Warren Hayes) never use the Master volume below 6, that may be the reason why. But yes, comparing FW14 to FW15 there's something different about the model.

There was a note about it being touched in the firmware update (beyond the global updates). But Cliff had said the difference was more for accuracy than an expectation of significant audible effect.

All amp models in the Axe-Fx use the same taper for the MV for consistency. The taper in an actual SLO100 is different. So '5' on the amp is not '5' on the model. As always, adjust with your ears. The behavior otherwise is spot-on compared to my actual amp.

Would be much better to have the same taper for all the knobs. I can never get the SLO emulation to sound like my real SLO100. Not upgraded to 15 yet as I will wait for the x/y amp reset thingy to be fixed.
I do think the SLO model sounds good, just can't seem to get my sound out of it. Was glad to hear the master vols are working better in 15 as the SLO is one of the high gain amps that does sound great with the master turned up.
My Mesa Mk series setting translate quite well as far as knob taper is concerned. I only have Mk3's here in the studio (3 of them) and with the axe on the Mk2 C+ and the Mk4 models I can get so close.
Anyway, just some ramblings :) Congrats on v15.

Cliff is the axe fx master vol taper range higher than real amps? For example master vol at 10 would correspond to a (physicially impossible) value like 11 or 12?

Cliff is the axe fx master vol taper range higher than real amps? For example master vol at 10 would correspond to a (physicially impossible) value like 11 or 12?

No. You can make it higher using the MV Trim.

I checked the model and found several small mistakes:
1. CF Comp should be around 35%. I forgot to take into account the loss through the fx loop and the effect that has on the cathode follower.
2. Neg Feedback should be around 4.5. Not terribly different but I was using 3 ohms for the load impedance and it's really closer to 3.3 or so which affects the feedback. Probably not audible.

Otherwise I just compared it to my SLO and it sounds spot-on. Note that the knobs on '5' on the Axe-Fx correspond to '6' on an SLO because they go to 11. 'Noon' on an SLO isn't actually the knobs at half-way. The range of the knobs is like 8:00 to 6:00 as opposed to 7:00 to 5:00. They're biased clockwise.

1. CF Comp should be around 35%. I forgot to take into account the loss through the fx loop and the effect that has on the cathode follower.
2. Neg Feedback should be around 4.5. Not terribly different but I was using 3 ohms for the load impedance and it's really closer to 3.3 or so which affects the feedback. Probably not audible.

Otherwise I just compared it to my SLO and it sounds spot-on. Note that the knobs on '5' on the Axe-Fx correspond to '6' on an SLO because they go to 11. 'Noon' on an SLO isn't actually the knobs at half-way. The range of the knobs is like 8:00 to 6:00 as opposed to 7:00 to 5:00. They're biased clockwise.
incredibly fast response with a full analysis. gotta love the way you work, Cliff.
are the changes gonna be effective in a future update ?

incredibly fast response with a full analysis. gotta love the way you work, Cliff.
are the changes gonna be effective in a future update ?

8ball_SignsPointToYes.jpg

Excellent info. Will have a poke about tomorrow :) Cheers.

A blind man and a deaf man playing together in a band. Blind man is asking are they dancing jet? Deaf man is asking are we playing jet?

Ha. I am still in denial that I need glasses for reading. Always forget to take them anywhere with me. I can never read a menu in a restaurant haha. I have two pairs at home though and one pair is always in my studio. As soon as I tweak the axefx, the glasses have to be worn :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom