Not to be a negative Nancy, but am I the only one not digging the Tucana model?

Variable

Inspired
I'm starting to wonder if my firmware flash messed just this model up. It sounds nothing like some of the clips I've been hearing; it's got a ton of gain, yes, but it has this really awful cocked wah sound in the upper midrange and high-end that seems impossible to dial out, even with the Treble and Presence on 0. It's all kinds of harsh and horrible. In contrast, the Triptik sounds fabulous, as does the OD-2 model.

How are you guys setting this up? What IRs are you using? Please tell me where the Kool-Aid is so I can drink it :D

Hmm, strange. I notice it is a bright amp, but also with a lot of balls. Cuts well in a mix. Try everything at noon incl. Presence. Input drive at 6. Overdrive at 6 or 7. Basketweave TV mix

STOP BEING A SUZY-SLITS-MY-WRISTS!

But I agree to a small degree. It's not bad, but it's not my favorite.

The Tucana 1 could have a bit of that, but it was much more picky about cabs. Find the right IR and tweak the settings.

One more amp at our disposal. There are some great tones in this model.

hmm...strange. The other Tuscana 3 topic had the title "best tone ever" and in this topic people are not liking the tone. Haven't tested it for myself. But still it is strange to have such opposite opinions for the same amp.

hmm...strange. The other Tuscana 3 topic had the title "best tone ever" and in this topic people are not liking the tone. Haven't tested it for myself. But still it is strange to have such opposite opinions for the same amp.

There's no accounting for taste. For instance, I've never been a huge fan of the Vox design. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it; it just doesn't suit me. On the other hand, I never in a million years would have thought I could get excited about a Fender Bassman. But, since I've had the Axe II, it's one of my favorite amps.

There's no accounting for taste. For instance, I've never been a huge fan of the Vox design. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it; it just doesn't suit me. On the other hand, I never in a million years would have thought I could get excited about a Fender Bassman. But, since I've had the Axe II, it's one of my favorite amps.

I have the feeling that with real amp people tend to agree more on what sounds good or not than on the Axe fx. Even if it's not your taste in general people tend to agree that some Fender's are great for clean or a Marshall is great for overdrive etc. On the Axe there seem to be more completely opposite opinions on what amp sounds good or not.

The other thing might be that we don't always know what style somebody's playing. For instance, a C&W player may be less than impressed with a JCM 800 while a metal shredder may not get much of a kick out of a Fender Twin, and vice-versa.

I'm with the OP on this. I was underwhelmed and noticed a bit of a cocked wha sound as well. The low end seems a little weak too. Went through a bunch of IRs and never really found anything I liked. No big deal, because there are plenty of other amp models that are more to my taste. On the flip side, I have not tried it in the band setting so these same characteristics may be exactly what is needed to fit properly in the mix.

I had the same as the op, but i like it for what it does. It right in Bonamassa type of sound.
Sustains forever..

I will see when FW15 arrives, if there is something wrong with the amp model. The wah mid is there no matter what.
The mid pot seems to be more of a treble pot than a mid pot. Prec and treble all the way down and its still a lot of treble, if you have the mid high.

Underwhelmed here too with the CA Tucana 3.

As compared to other models, the defaults don't produce a very inspiring tone for me. I tweaked it a little bit but can't get as inspired as with other amp models.

I'm starting to wonder if my firmware flash messed just this model up. It sounds nothing like some of the clips I've been hearing; it's got a ton of gain, yes, but it has this really awful cocked wah sound in the upper midrange and high-end that seems impossible to dial out, even with the Treble and Presence on 0. It's all kinds of harsh and horrible. In contrast, the Triptik sounds fabulous, as does the OD-2 model.

How are you guys setting this up? What IRs are you using? Please tell me where the Kool-Aid is so I can drink it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iTX1__G5-E

Cocked wah sound in this clip. I am going to try it mixed with another amp.

I think theres a difference in opinion because of the feel. The OD is much more on the American side of things which it why it reminds me of the Mark series amps alot. I like it alot but prefer the Triptik because of the more british flavor

Plenty of parameters to tweak too, but I've found the IR to make a huge difference.

I didn't love the OD2-R for a long time until I learned how to dial it in and found some good IRs with it. They are those kind of amps; the D-type, which can certainly be finicky.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the variety that Cliff puts in this box. I must not be tweaking the right parameters. I am happy with the handful that work for me.

I think it would be stranger if each and every user all thought it was amazing. Highly unlikely "everyone" all would like the same tones, just as its unlikely everyone would all like the same guitar, same type of cabinet, same brand of soft drink etc

Back
Top Bottom