Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

Things sound more open and less compressed at default values to my ear. I actually tried every amp at the default values the last two days . Three things to say. Mind blown, tired fingers and happy ears.

I recorded a simple metal riff with Friedman HBE just out of curiosity before i updated the fw and then after, kept in mind the reseting parameters so that i had identical settings. Asked from our bands another guitarist opinion which sounds better without even telling what i did and he chose 15b with words "well the second is most obviously better"

I actually had the "feel" that there was more depth and clarity and even a hint more gain, but to me the main thing is that it feels again more powerfull tool. I personally LOVE the update. Thank's Cliff and all.

What's wrong with using the front panel?

I can't speak for others, but the front panel is the one thing I hate about the Axefx. Can't see any of the buttons on a dark stage, you're basically forced to use Axe Edit. I'm thinking about installing some LEDs or something on my rack case to illuminate it. No need to bring a computer along then.

Ummm... What? You can load any FW at any time. They don't require loading in sequence. You could wait for FW 20 (that will be seriously amazing!) before you next load FW, and go from 14 straight to 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You didn't get my point. It's not about waiting for more firmware updates before doing the update process, it's the inclusivity of later firmwares. You can't have FW16 without the features (and the requirement to up-down amps) of FW15. Which means no matter if you wait for FW20 or not, you HAVE to up-down your amps if you want a feature of FW16 or 17.

OK, so level, mastervolume, gain and presence are the ones getting reset (apart from brightswitches and advanced parameters of course) when changing theampmodel?
Really wanna try out this FW, but a bit reluctant to dive in since I have gigs comming up shortly.
Seems like it changes presets a lot for some, while for others they got better even without tweaking.
What to do...

Anyway, thanks for yet another update from the Fractalteam -We are really getting spoiled here :)
I figured out that up/downing to the same amp model does not reset gain, level and master. They change when you select a different amp model, but as soon as you come back to the old model, they go back to the memorized values. However, those values WILL reset:

- Input Trim (the knob next to input gain)
- CUT, BRT, SAT, FAT
- Presence/Hicut
- Depth
- GEQ

It's only those 4 controls that change when you go to "type" and use the up and down button once. If you never used the amp block GEQ, it's not that much work.

So yesterday I ended up making it a memory game instead of actually taking notes on those settings:
"Three, Bright, Two, One - Check"
"One, Cut, Bright, Zero, Zero - Check"

It works... Memorize by saying it out loud, that helps.

Last edited:
What has changed drastically in the 5153 Red amp?

That model is virtually unchanged. The low-frequency accuracy was refined but otherwise it's identical and the gain is unchanged.

RTFRN ;) ;)
"Fixed wrong Input Drive taper [...] in 5153 Red amp model."

I have a few 5153 Red presets with a Drive setting of approx. 2 in FW14.02. With 15.00b I have to raise the Drive to approx. 4 to get the same result. Could this be due to the new taper?

Come on, if the Chinese with their squinty eyes can read the front panel, then why can't everyone else?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes I am aware that the above comment was outrageously racist and offensive, It was said as dramatic sarcasm and in no way was intended to cause any offence whatsoever.

It's not racist if it's true...(??)

Oh, not much will change. I'm shocked at how close the models are to the actual amps now. I've compared nearly every amp in my collection (60+ amps) and it's amazing how close the modeling is to the actual amp.

This firmware, for me, finally proves my belief that an amp can be fully modeled at a parametric level given an accurate enough algorithm.
I'm sure another epiphany will happen for v16 ;)

Would you guys wait for them to develop the procedure that automatically does the amp reset for you (maybe 3 months or more) or would you want FW 15 to be released sooner?

Honest question.

Lemme completely clarify that his is solely my hypothetical situation that I made up and not from FAS in any way :) I'm just curious.

What would really be useful (if possible!) is to have the ability to save the settings of each amp block (or just some sort of snapshot) before you change the amp type to another and back again - then apply those settings back again. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday (haven't even finished yet!) taking screenshots of each page in the amp block before going through and setting them back again. Changing it to another amp and back again altered the sounds way too much. I know it would save me quite a lot of time on major releases such as this.

But besides the above, the FW update is excellent. Definite difference in sound to my ears anyway.

I'm not sure if copying the previous settings would get your tone back since the underlying parameters are changed in the new firmware.

Use your ears. Always.

I figured out that up/downing to the same amp model does not reset gain, level and master. They change when you select a different amp model, but as soon as you come back to the old model, they go back to the memorized values. However, those values WILL reset:

- Input Trim (the knob next to input gain)
- CUT, BRT, SAT, FAT
- Presence/Hicut
- Depth
- GEQ

It's only those 4 controls that change when you go to "type" and use the up and down button once.

Last time I checked, selecting another amp type and then the previous one again (I like your term "up/downing amp"), resets all AMP parameters to their default values for that particular model, except:

- Input Drive
- Bass, Middle, Treble
- Level
- Balance
- Input Select
- Voicing
- Pwr Supply Type
- Trem Freq
- Bypass Mode

MV resets to default too, not to the saved value.

I'm not noticing much difference to be honest. 14 sounded great, 15 sounds just as good. But I only just got my Axe a week or two ago, and only had 9 presets that I came up with. I scrapped them all and am redoing them. Most of this weekend was spent working on my 4-cable configuration, which is sounding STELLAR!

Last time I checked, selecting another amp type and then the previous one again (I like your term "up/downing amp"), resets all AMP parameters to their default values for that particular model, except:

- Input Drive
- Bass, Middle, Treble
- Level
- Balance
- Input Select
- Voicing
- Pwr Supply Type
- Trem Freq
- Bypass Mode

MV resets to default too, not to the saved value.
That is not correct. At least that didn't happen when I did all the up-downing yesterday. Yes, MV, Level and Gain does reset when you select a different amp, but when you go back to the amp you came from, to my surprise the values for MV, Level and Gain are back to where they were before and not defaulted.

I mean... it's possible that I never used MV values that deviated from the default when I tried yesterday, but it's highly unlikely.

Huge change in sound on my presets - and all for the better.
For a beta, it sure doesn't sound like a beta.
Very impressive and many thanks as always !

That is not correct. At least that didn't happen when I did all the up-downing yesterday. Yes, MV, Level and Gain does reset when you select a different amp, but when you go back to the amp you came from, to my surprise the values for MV, Level and Gain are back to where they were before and not defaulted.

I mean... it's possible that I never used MV values that deviated from the default when I tried yesterday, but it's highly unlikely.

I checked just now, and on my system (hardware as well as AE) the behavior is as I described.

RTFRN ;) ;)
"Fixed wrong Input Drive taper [...] in 5153 Red amp model."

I have a few 5153 Red presets with a Drive setting of approx. 2 in FW14.02. With 15.00b I have to raise the Drive to approx. 4 to get the same result. Could this be due to the new taper?

Agreed. Something just doesn't feel right and it feels as if it's a general reduction in gain.

+1

The gain is more realistic for me , easy to increase and get plenty, and cranking the gain to max works like it should on the amps I use , before using max settings just didn't do it like the real amps. I love it!! We tend to lean toward too much gain in the first place, the first thing a good studio engineer will do is start gently leading you to lowering gain till it gets to point of being uncomfortable to play, for better tone , took me awhile to get it , but retraining my brain to tis has made my tones much better! There's plenty of gain to be had, but removing it is a different story.
Don't change anything, Please!!

Master volume has always and still does reset to default with reselection of amps!

Back
Top Bottom