Trouble with the BB Preamp Drive block

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Do you guys have any tips for the BB preamp? What are you running it into?

I use my real one a lot like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51O4z2uP4o

Pretty transparent, just a next step up in gain.

The BB in the axe isn't very transparent to my ears- really darkens and clogs up the tone. I realize that the default settings have a hi cut...but IDK. Lowering the hi & low cut to make it feel more transparent still just doesn't quite have it.

In fact, I haven't really found a combination of drive pedals I can stack together that provides good transparency yet gain steps.

What do you guys do with the BB preamp?

Not to pile on, but I thought the BB in the Axe is really quite close to how my real one sounds.
Feel free to change some EQ parameters.

Also I noticed with the TS and BB blocks in the Axe, the mix defaults to 100%
You may want to change the mix to about 80%., letting some clean tone through like the real ones.
At least that's what I hear.

Not to pile on, but I thought the BB in the Axe is really quite close to how my real one sounds.
Feel free to change some EQ parameters.

Also I noticed with the TS and BB blocks in the Axe, the mix defaults to 100%
You may want to change the mix to about 80%., letting some clean tone through like the real ones.
At least that's what I hear.

The models let clean through even with the mix at 100%. It depends on the diodes though as to how much clean is mixed. Our models are based on the most common versions.

The BB in the axe isn't very transparent to my ears- really darkens and clogs up the tone. I realize that the default settings have a hi cut...but IDK. Lowering the hi & low cut to make it feel more transparent still just doesn't quite have it.

In fact, I haven't really found a combination of drive pedals I can stack together that provides good transparency yet gain steps.

Have you tried your real BB in front of the AxeFx?

The models let clean through even with the mix at 100%. It depends on the diodes though as to how much clean is mixed. Our models are based on the most common versions.
Ah, this answers a question I had from my first couple days with the Axe.
Thanks again.
I still end up backing off mix a bit in some of the drives I use,depending on the amp.

I have done a A/B with the Xotic BB and the Fractal BB into a Fractal amp, Hi Res Cab and into a Atomic Reactor.

I was looking for a similar effect from the Fractal with the gain rolled off and the volume at 12 o'clock, but the Fractal version had way too much gain at the same settings as the Xotic pedal settings. The Fractal BB has too much gain with the gain rolled off compared to the Xotic.

My personal use of these stomps:

Leave level, EQ at default. Turn down the gain to 0, then up until I have desired tone (if I like the pedal.) Save that. Then toy with it by reducing level and see what tonal changes I get. Each pedal will react differently to each amp, so it can be a shell game to find the perfect mix.

Or use a filter block like many folks here.

R

I think the BB Pre and the Zendrive in the AXE are about as spot on as you can get. Both pedals have been part of my analog board for years so I know them inside and out. I dial them in the same way I dial in the real ones.

The BB is far from being a transparent pedal. You can go from heavy grit to thick milk shake tones - especially when you combine with an already over driven amp.

If you want some transparency you have to use the AC or RC

I can't help but think there must be something wrong with your unit. You are struggling way too much and observing things that are completely contrary to consensus. I recommend you contact support and arrange to have your unit sent in for evaluation.

I can't help but think there must be something wrong with your unit. You are struggling way too much and observing things that are completely contrary to consensus. I recommend you contact support and arrange to have your unit sent in for evaluation.

Definitely something I could consider. I'm in touch with Thomas Hawk, another user here who lives in KC. We're going to get together next week, so I'll be able to do a side by side comparison of the Axe FX II's, and go from there.

Thanks for the replies guys! I used to have a BB+ WAY long ago, and didn't like it nearly as much as my BB Preamp because it was gainier & darker than my BB Preamp or BB MB. Maybe I'm hearing things! The axe being closer to a BB+ rather than my regular one makes sense to me.

I'll try turning the gain way down as well

I'm in touch with Thomas Hawk, another user here who lives in KC. We're going to get together next week, so I'll be able to do a side by side comparison of the Axe FX II's, and go from there.

Finally! :)

If I'm using a lower drive OD pedal and I need to eq the pedal to match the tone of the amp, I usually adjust the hi and lo cut filters to taste.

Back
Top Bottom