Nothing beats the "TV mix" Cabs, not even UltraRes (Opinion)

The ir's in those Engl packs are definitely good, but I feel they are (obviously) better suited for modern tones, a little aggressive to me for a more classic Marshall to hot-rodded Marshall tone.

Count me among those who use the TV cab for pretty much everything (at least everything 4x12 related). There is a TAF cab in the free bundle that I kinda like, but I sorta feel like I am trying to like it 'cause it is the new thing. Im sure there are other cabs out there I would like (RW, OH, TAF etc) but where to start? I don't really want hundreds, I just need to find a handful I like as much as the TV Mix (4x12, 2x12, 1x12, 1x15, 4x10). In the meantime...

TV Mix FTW!

I agree, we need a UR Basketweave TV mix. I was also using that one for awhile. I have replaced it and do love some of the others though. But it was a nice balanced IR.

It will be interesting to hear whether a ultrares version of the TV cab will sound as good as the standard highres. The TV mix may be darker but gee it rocks. Brighter doesn't necessarily mean better.

I use the new AC20 1x12 UR (that came with FW14) with a null mic as a replacement for some of my TV/Thorn mix. Not the same, but works good. Nice mid.

Depends on the amp used though. I also like the free TAF Mesa and the OH UR that came with FW13.
Have not got my finger out and bought Cab-Lab yet...

Got to agree with this. I've tried the included Ultra Res IR's but find that I keep going back to the TV mix for my Marshall crunch. I don't have the time to audition a zillion IR's so I really have no interest in purchasing additional packs. I remember buying the Redwirez Big Box when they were all the rave, and got so fed up weeding through all the different options I eventually gave up and went back to the stock IR's. So for now I'm sticking with the Hi Res TV mix until my ears tell me otherwise.

When I first got the Axe waaaaaaaay back in V11, the tv mix was my go to cab.
Since the release of the URs I don't use anything other than URs now.
To me they just sound higher resolution. I can't even use any of the OH cabs in comparison.
But that's just me.

cab pack 4 only has 1 4x12 in it though, and it's a Boogie. Pretty different animal from the cabs being discussed here.

just been reamping and out of curiosity I compared the TV mix and AX mix with the Engl Pro 4x12 V30 SM57 New 04, 05 and 06

as much as I adore the TV and AX, there was really no comparison..
they were utterly blown away.. surprisingly so..

Lets have some fun:)

...I haven't played this cab in a rather long time. hooked it up and was rather pleased with how it sounds.

So I made 4 clips

2 are of the TV and 2 are of my personal pairing that i use most of the time

See which one is A and which is B

ENGL A
ENGL B
Marsahall A
Marshall B

I would say Engl A is the TV cab and Marshall B is the TV cab
Engl B And Marshall A got much more clarity so i guess these are the one with your personal pairing.
cheers

My humble opinion is that UltraRes doesn't make an IR better. The difference between UltraRes, HiRes and NormalRes IR's is soooooooo small. I feel like it's all just Nokia-like "we need to sound better on paper than the competition" malarkey. Making people pay more to get the UltraRes versions cracks me up. Sure it's using a longer IR but when even trained ears (not talking about my own) can't really hear a difference I'm saying you're paying for audibly nothing sadly. But once again that's just me.

TV is pretty good for that Marshall thing! Check these out though: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...nts-zero-currency-ultrares-ir-collection.html

My humble opinion is that UltraRes doesn't make an IR better. The difference between UltraRes, HiRes and NormalRes IR's is soooooooo small. I feel like it's all just Nokia-like "we need to sound better on paper than the competition" malarkey. Making people pay more to get the UltraRes versions cracks me up. Sure it's using a longer IR but when even trained ears (not talking about my own) can't really hear a difference I'm saying you're paying for audibly nothing sadly. But once again that's just me.

TV is pretty good for that Marshall thing! Check these out though: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...nts-zero-currency-ultrares-ir-collection.html

I would agree UR doesn't make a bad IR into a good IR.

But UR uses less CPU. They sound great. So why not?

Plus what's being talked about here are *new* IR's that happen to be in UR format. They probably would be just as awesome in HiRes though.

It's more about the new cabs and mics and preamps and how the IR's are shot than UR per se.

I've never been able to hear the difference between cabs in lores or hires which is partly why I use the stereo cab block..

until ures, I always reamped in hires though.. call it a superstitious act knowing that I'm most likely doing the right thnig no matter if my ears / monitoring can tell the difference or not..

with the new ures cabs.. I guess I just really like some of the Engl and TAF cabs.. ures or not, they're just hitting the spot for me..
it's never occured to me to try loading a ures Engl in lores mono just to see what it sounds like..
maybe I should, if for no other reason than to reassuringly confirm that my hearing is still completely fkd - Marshall'd to death...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom