Which reverb is the real reverb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First up, more detail is needed about teh balloon - was it br00tal..?
thinking.gif

if you were comparing the real reverb to the axe fx reverb, i might be more interested too. there are loads of really great IR reverbs you can run in a DAW that could do this easy

I picked the first and thats pretty much, guessing, gut feeling, whatever you want to call it.

John

My inner geek is screaming to be fed: how did you capture the sound of teh br00tal balloon popping without also capturing the reflections?

As for which one is real, I think neither sounds more natural than the other.

I would have more chance of locating the Sphinx's missing nose than guessing which one is which, but if this is a convolution plugin and not the Axe then I'm with Simeon on this one.

Great idea though.

if you were comparing the real reverb to the axe fx reverb, i might be more interested too. there are loads of really great IR reverbs you can run in a DAW that could do this easy

Think you're missing the point here, Simeon. The issue's not whether it's easy or not not. The questions is: Can you hear the difference? Can you pick out the real thing and why you drew that conclusion? Since I know which ones which, I can hear the subtle differences – probably because I'm looking for them. So I figured you guys could help me with an unbiased blind test. FWIW, this was done using a convolution reverb, yes. Furthermore, while the procedure is pretty simple, yes, it's not easy nor straight forward to get these results. Took some drastic tuning getting the reverb to sound this close. Cheers!

My inner geek is screaming to be fed: how did you capture the sound of teh br00tal balloon popping without also capturing the reflections?

As for which one is real, I think neither sounds more natural than the other.

IR was captured with sine sweep, then the room was also excited using a ballon. I used a close mic and a room mic. The close mic signal was cut 2 ms into the impulse wave, that was almost 2x distance to the closest wall. This short pulse was fed into the artificial reverb patch in DAW. Mics were Milab VM44's. Thanks!

I chose the first one as real....I couldnt hear much of a difference, and I think what I heard was only amplified by my sight of the wave forms in the audio playback window above. So in essence I just described that I dont have a f'n clue.

Haha just noticed that according to the poll Swedish Chef himself does not have a clue which is which! Is that why there's no update on the order yet? ;)

I voted first one.

The second one sounded more direct and in your face. The first one was more diffuse.

P.S. And I expected a better pic of Swedish "Balloons".... just sayin' :)

I too am kinda like WTF? My room simulator (convolution reverb) in my DAW is just perfect at reproducing life-like reverb. It's no biggie. If you were comparing one from the AXE, which has improved with studio reverb, but is still far from perfect, then I'd be interested. But comparing a direct recording of a 'verb to what a good DAW can do... why bother exactly?

The first one is the DAW recording of the balloon in the stairway, with reverb. The second one is the Balloon sound with reverb added to the DAW as it was being popped in the stairway. The third sound was not even a balloon at all. That was a filter capacitor blowing up in Chef's amplifier…..or was that the first one?

Back
Top Bottom