WICKED WIKI 19: defaulting the AMP block

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
WICKED WIKI 19

“Defaulting the AMP block”

200px-H_amps.png

A recurring question on the forum is how and when the AMP block parameters are or should be defaulted.
Especially when new firmware has been released. This post aims to explain what happens and what to do.

1 — Loading a new amp type (= re-select = soft reset)
When an amp type is selected within the AMP block (on hardware or in the editor), that amp type is loaded with its default parameters. Meaning: the default parameters applying to that specific amp type.

But not all! The current basic gain and tone settings are left untouched. These are:
  • Drive
  • Overdrive
  • Bass
  • Mid
  • Treble
  • Output Level
Plus some other parameters mentioned below.

This method of defaulting is referred to as "re-select" or "soft reset".

So if you set Bass to 3.00 (default is 5.00), and you switch to another amp type, Bass will still be set at 3.00. Most other parameter values will be (re)set to default settings. The list below shows which parameters are affected, following the order of the tab pages of the AMP block on the hardware.
  • PRE: Input Trim, Cut/Fat/Brt switches, Bright knob
  • PWR: everything except: Output Level
  • SPKR: everything
  • EQ: all sliders and EQ Type
  • PWR DYN: everything except: Comp Type and Speaker Comp (Quantum 9)
  • PRE DYN: everything except: Output Level
  • DYNEQ: everything except: Char Type, Char Q
  • ADV: everything except: Input Select and Speaker Time Constant (Quantum 9)
  • TREM/MIX: Trem Depth
Note: Master Volume gets defaulted when you reselect an amp type. This is important to realize, because it may make your presets louder or softer.

2 — Resetting the entire AMP block
If you want every parameter in the AMP block to return to its default value for the selected amp type, you need to reset the block, on the hardware or in the editor. This loads the default parameters for that specific amp type, including the basic tone and gain controls.

This is referred to as a "(hard) reset".

So how do you "hard reset" the AMP block?
  • Axe-Fx II hardware: press LAYOUT, select the AMP block, press EDIT, then double-click the BYPASS button (not: FX.BYPAS).
  • AX8 hardware: select the AMP block on the layout screen, press EDIT, then press SHIFT followed by double-clicking EDIT button.
  • Software editor: select the AMP block and then select either Reset Block or Reset Current Effect Type from the menu (or press CTRL-I or COMMAND-I).
    Note: The Reset Block and Reset Current Effect Type commands do exactly the same, when its comes to the AMP block.
3 — Other methods
Over time firmware versions have provided more methods. Including entries in the Global menu and AMP block that enabled us to different modeling versions, and an option in the Utility menu to apply default values to AMP blocks.

The software editors also let you reset an individual parameter. But be aware that the editor does not poll the hardware for the specific value for the current amp type, so the chosen default value may not be the correct one.

4 — What to do when new firmware is released
When new firmware brings changes to the amp modeling, these are often implemented under the hood. It is NOT required to default amp parameters to make use of an improved algorithm. So as an user you don't need to do anything, unless the firmware release notes instruct otherwise.

Sometimes the firmware can't (or won't force) enforce fixes or improvements and leaves it to the user to implement them. In those cases the release notes will tell you to "re-select" the amp type in existing presets.

5 — How to save and re-apply your current settings
So you have dialed in a perfect-sounding amp by tweaking advanced parameters. And now comes a new firmware update that you can't let pass by, but you don't want to lose "your" tone.

Your current presets with their amp settings are connected to your current firmware version. They may change when upgrading to later firmware, when the firmware includes changes to the amp modeling.
  • Fractal-Bot lets you save and load entire banks of presets, and firmware.
  • The editor lets you export (save on disk) a single preset, and load a single preset (including ones from a bank).
  • You can use Recall Effect to load the values of an AMP block from one preset into another.
  • On the Axe-Fx II, you can save AMP block settings to different instances of a global block.
But: re-applying "old" amp block settings often is not the best choice. New defaults have been implemented for a reason, and may also be linked to changes in algorithms in the firmware. Using the same tweaked values may not result in the same sound.

6 — When you're using a power amp and guitar cab
Some default amp settings are not optimal for users of power amps and guitar cabinets. You may want to change these after a soft or hard reset of the AMP block.
  • Spkr Drv: users of traditional guitar cabinets need to set this at 0.
  • Low Freq: this is a pre-set frequency at which the virtual amp resonates with the cab model. When using a real cabinet, you'll want to replace this with the real resonant frequency.
  • Speaker Comp (Quantum 9): default value is 3, but if you use a tube preamp or a traditional speaker cab, you’ll want this set to 0.
7 — More information in the wiki
Wiki.png

Last edited:
Excellent guide, Yek!

Quick question: How do you perform a "(hard) reset" to the amp block from the front panel of the Axe-Fx?

These amp block hard and soft reset questions come up in every firmware upgrade thread. Thanks for this Yek! You did a great job explaining it and covering all the bases.

Recommend making this a stickie. Calling @Admin M@

Thank you for this comprehensive guide Yek!

Does bypassing and reengaging the amp block still achieve
The desired "reset" if I have not selected and deselected a new amp?
In other words do I have to do both hard and soft resets to arrive at the defaults? It seems it would be much less work to bypass/engage rather than selecting and deslecting amps for all of my presets.

Please advise. Thank you.

Nope, bypassing/engaging the amp block does not affect the parameter values in any way.

A full reset is accomplished by performing a hard reset.

Last edited:
How does one accomplish said "hard reset" within Axe Edit or AX8 Edit?
Deleting or shunting the amp block and loading it again? Is that the same as "Resetting" the block.

Excuse my ignorance.
Thanks again!

How does one accomplish said "hard reset" within Axe Edit or AX8 Edit?
Deleting or shunting the amp block and loading it again? Is that the same as "Resetting" the block.

Excuse my ignorance.
Thanks again!
In Axe Edit, check the Block menu. There are two options for resetting blocks: Reset Block or Reset Current Effect Type (from memory).

For the Amp block I think they are the same result. For things like Drive where there are "sub types", the 1st option will reset as if you just added a fresh instance of the block and sets the sub type to the 1st type. The 2nd option resets the currently selected sub type.

Crap, I didn't realize that master volume and presence got reset with a soft amp block reset. Now I have to reload all my backed up presets and soft reset them again :(

Very nice @yek

When you right click on a block on ax8-edit you have 2 options for reset

#1 Reset Block
#2 Reset Current Effect Type

do you know what the difference is? Both seem to do the same thing, they both only seem to affect the current X or Y state at the moment of reset, both also keep the same modifiers. Its a bit confusing because i thought #1 reset both X and Y to its defaults

Very nice @yek

When you right click on a block on ax8-edit you have 2 options for reset

#1 Reset Block
#2 Reset Current Effect Type

do you know what the difference is? Both seem to do the same thing, they both only seem to affect the current X or Y state at the moment of reset, both also keep the same modifiers. Its a bit confusing because i thought #1 reset both X and Y to its defaults
I think my post above https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wicked-wiki-19-defaulting-the-amp-block.125454/#post-1493159 should explain it... I'm pretty sure AX8-Edit is the same as Axe Edit.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom