Where's My D-Sound?

DaGuy007

Just got my Ax8 few days ago. It does what I was hoping for. Fantastic recording tones, right off the bat, I'm very impressed. Best modeling I heard so far. It might also deliver a killer live sound but i can't really get a good sense of that through my small desktop studio monitors. Not pushing enough air. There's more to explore for sure.

Anyway, brace yourself, I'm looking for that Dumble sound. Yes another one in search of that particular version of the tone Holy Grail. Anyway, I know it's in all in the fingers. Not kidding, I totally know it is but what presets would you recommend?

Thanks!

If you're looking for "that" Dumble sound (whatever that means to you—there are lots of Dumble sounds), I wouldn't recommend any presets at all.

Pull up one of the Dumble or Dumble clone models, along with an appropriate cab. Dial the beast until it works with your guitar and your fingers.

Anyway, I know it's in all in the fingers. Not kidding, I totally know it is...
Then you know that this is the only way. ;)

I guess I just don't get the Dumble sound. I tried all of those sims and couldn't bond with any of them .

I guess I just don't get the Dumble sound. I tried all of those sims and couldn't bond with any of them .
Gain structure is a big part of it—the interaction between those two gain knobs, and just the right amount of fattening with MV.

If you're looking for "that" Dumble sound (whatever that means to you—there are lots of Dumble sounds), I wouldn't recommend any presets at all.

Pull up one of the Dumble or Dumble clone models, along with an appropriate cab. Dial the beast until it works with your guitar and your fingers.

Then you know that this is the only way. ;)

It's good advice. I know not to go crazy looking for presets. In the end, it really is in the fingers: the amp just needs to there for them. Needs to be super responsive, tall order for lots of actual amps. Thanks!

Anyway, brace yourself, I'm looking for that Dumble sound. Yes another one in search of that particular version of the tone Holy Grail.

Do you have a specific YouTube clip or any artist references we could pick from for "that" sound? For a while I was hung up on the Two-Rock tone and still am, but the JVM sims are more versatile for my own needs.

If you post some clips, I can see if I can copy a quick preset in the AX8 for that. Let us know, cheers.

EDIT: You can check out this Fox ODS patch I made for Funk 49:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fox-ods-funk-49-preset.109252/

Last edited:
Do you have a specific YouTube clip or any artist references we could pick from for "that" sound? For a while I was hung up on the Two-Rock tone and still am, but the JVM sims are more versatile for my own needs.

If you post some clips, I can see if I can copy a quick preset in the AX8 for that. Let us know, cheers.

Wow, blown away what a kind offer.

I can't post links yet because I joined yesterday and don't have the minimum number of posts before I post a links -I'll get there someday, I'll make a goal in life.

Anyway, if you look up Robben Ford's Indianola Live with Travis Carlton on bass on YouTube then you know my holly grail.
He pushes the amp a bit with a pedal here and there (could be a Zen Drive) but the basic tone of the amp is absolutely gorgeous.

I actually get something real close at home with an H&K Grandmeister with Tung-Sol tubes through an EVH 2x12 cab. It would be great if I can model something on the Ax8 so I can record without the mic hassle and household volume limitations.

Oh, almost forgot using a Les Paul.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Last edited:
This one?

This should definitely be possible

The song is the right one but the video isn't. It might the same gear but the audio quality (production in general) is better on the one I can't post the link for. Here are some better clues about the right one.

Robben Ford, Indiannola, Tokyo Jazz Festival, posted by DesmoRob

Thanks, for the clues. Going on vacation for a while to bad I can't take the Ax8 with me! I'll get right to it when I'm back home.

Robben Ford, Indiannola, Tokyo Jazz Festival, posted by DesmoRob

Watched this one earlier to try to figure out the tone, playing and what amps he used. I have watched about 5 of them and he has a different amp/guitar for each. I am thinking we could find something similar to this tone for your LP. I play all PRS now so I'll see if I can get it close. That tone in this particular video is "smacky" if that's a term. Is that what you're going for?

EDIT: That's definitely a nice drive out front, I'll play with the ZenMaster and the Esoteric's for X/Y comparison.

Watched this one earlier to try to figure out the tone, playing and what amps he used. I have watched about 5 of them and he has a different amp/guitar for each. I am thinking we could find something similar to this tone for your LP. I play all PRS now so I'll see if I can get it close. That tone in this particular video is "smacky" if that's a term. Is that what you're going for?

EDIT: That's definitely a nice drive out front, I'll play with the ZenMaster and the Esoteric's for X/Y comparison.

Smacky is a cool characterization. I would describe it as spongy = very responsive to pick attack without fizzes or sharp highs. Also bit compressed to get that clean sustain going. Probably some studio compression with a good blend to not drown out the pick attack.

Smacky is a cool characterization. I would describe it as spongy = very responsive to pick attack without fizzes or sharp highs. Also bit compressed to get that clean sustain going. Probably some studio compression with a good blend to not drown out the pick attack.

Alright, so I'm not too embarrassed with my attempt at copying the song, please feel free to not hear the plethora of mistakes. Was going for tone not so much accuracy especially learning a song at 12AM after class. Try out this preset:
S1 - ODS Ford 1 | Stereo Cab
S2 - ODS Ford 2 | UltraRes Cab Mono
S3 - ZenMaster | ODS Ford 1 | ""
S4 - TB808 | ODS Ford 2 | ""

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4381

Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4 Examples:

See attached for SYX file, hope that helps mate!

Attachments

• Robben Ford Indianola.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
Wow, so kind. Really appreciate your effort.

Here's were I'm at. The guitar makes a huge difference, in my LP I had to dial down the OD, and raise the master a bit. I'm actually impressed with how good it sounds regardless of the source of inspiration. Also, there are so many possible tweaks. I'll surely stumble in to dozens of other great tones.

Huge thanks!:)

Back
Top Bottom