Weird issue with Axe FX II and noise over midi

xykhron

Hi.

A friend of mine has an Axe FX II with an issue with a strange noise coming from the unit. It's like a metronome noise, but the metronome function is set to OFF. When performing gigs he needs to slow down the tempo to 30 bpm or the noise is very audible at giggin' volumes.

Also, it's strange because a couple of days he did an experiment, and when disconnecting the midi cable the noise stopped, but when connected, it started again...but with the midi pedalboard (Roland FC300) switched off.

Here's a video of the noise and the midi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N8t_3aNHz8

Anyone could know what is happening here?.

It is the current in the midi cable that leaks into other cables, as the Axe sends tempo clicks through the midi cable. Move the midi cable further away from other cables, or press I/O in the front panel and set "send realtime sysex" to "none" or "tuner", if you don't need your foot controller to know the tempo.

Last edited:
As has been said, since you are not using a MIDI foot controller capable of reading the tempo or tuner information, turn send realtime sysex to none

Good tip. I also have this same issue. Mine was set to "all" Changed it to none. Will see if that fixes the issue. I use FASLink. Still, a bit of a bummer that I can't use the tempo function. For songs with guitar only intro's it's very useful.

I'm having a similar issue. Yes, switching Realtime SysEx to None solves the problem (albeit I lose tempo and tuner functionality on my MFC). However, if my Axe is set to MIDI channel 1, why is its Realtime SysEx data showing up on MIDI channel 0 in my sequencer, and causing audible glitches in another device (external looper in fx loop) set to MIDI Channel 3? Is SysEx data channel agnostic? Is there a way to conform SysEx data to a specific channel? The audible glitching is completely different from the "zippering" noise you occasionally get when an audio cable is near a MIDI cable. Any thoughts?

I'm having a similar issue. Yes, switching Realtime SysEx to None solves the problem (albeit I lose tempo and tuner functionality on my MFC). However, if my Axe is set to MIDI channel 1, why is its Realtime SysEx data showing up on MIDI channel 0 in my sequencer, and causing audible glitches in another device (external looper in fx loop) set to MIDI Channel 3? Is SysEx data channel agnostic? Is there a way to conform SysEx data to a specific channel? The audible glitching is completely different from the "zippering" noise you occasionally get when an audio cable is near a MIDI cable. Any thoughts?

Sysex data doesn't have a channel. It is not a voice message. All equipment should ignore any sysex data that does not contain its manufacturer's ID. If you gear is responding to Fractal Audio sysex messages then it is violating the spec. Contact the manufacturer of said gear.

Thanks, I thought as much. It's an older out-of-production (vintage?) looper so it looks like no Realtime SysEx for me!

It is the current in the midi cable that leaks into other cables, as the Axe sends tempo clicks through the midi cable. Move the midi cable further away from other cables, or press I/O in the front panel and set "send realtime sysex" to "none" or "tuner", if you don't need your foot controller to know the tempo.

...hmmm... The problem persists. I have tried setting "send realtime sysex" to none and tuner. I have also tried disconnecting all midi cables! No banana. When I switch metronome to off in Tempo it will address the problem temporarily but the problem resumes once I power off and on again. Is there a way to save the Tempo setting globally?

Back
Top Bottom