Vol/Pan block scratchy/noisy volume swells

bkrumme

Experienced
I added a Vol/Pan block to one of my presets so I could do some delayed swells (violining) via expression pedal and found that the sound is scratchy, but only when using a volume taper value other than Linear. Linear taper value is clear. I have tried placing the Vol/Pan block numerous places in the signal chain, but same results.

Steps to reproduce: Place Vol/Pan block in the grid. Attach Extern 1 as a modifier to the Volume control. Choose a Volume Taper other than Linear. Volume swells sound scratchy/noisy, especially with high gain sounds.

Bazinga!

Thanks, Cliff. Cleaned right up. What would you say a reasonable setting for the damping parameter is? It feels like the swells are delayed a small amount when I have it set around 100ms.

Yes, I use around 10 ms. The problem is that the data from MIDI tends to be slow and jumps around. Damping smooths out this data. Some expression pedals are worse than others and some MIDI controllers are slower than others so you have to set it by ear/feel.

Thanks for the explanation, Cliff.

In the midst of all this, I started having trouble with my MFC also. It was really slow switching presets and preset names werent' syncing. So I swapped Cat-5 cables which fixed that issue...and most likely helped speed up the MIDI data for the expression pedal as well.

Now to figure out why my nearly new Best-Tronics Cat-5 cable failed...spent a mint getting a heavy duty cable that went belly-up on me.

Back
Top Bottom