Violin patch (+ Ensemble feature!)

Right-click on the user cab you loaded into AxeManage, and choose Send to Axe-FX / Selected Cabs.

Thats exactly what I did and yet theres no sound on mine. I sent it and put it onto slot 9 like mentioned before.. Idk what i'm doing wrong.

And it's still red? Red means there's a change in Axe-Edit that hasn't been sent to the Axe-FX yet.

Well I reset my axe and shut down axe adit. The cab icons were in grey but im guessing because i have to sync and back up my axe. The thing that I'm kind of wondering is whether i'm placing the .sys cab file in the right place (meaning does it have to be on my desktop? or inside axe manage and in the axe edit "cab" folder)? And from that point the only time i'm able to see Send to axe-fx is when I go to the actual axe-fx tab or drop down section on the left column. Idk if that makes sense at all..

Heres a quick video of me faffing around with it earlier!

Violin Test | Facebook

Will you be sharing your update simeon? Had some great fun with this. People will be stumped even more than before live now. The only thing I suffer with which is par for the course still I guess- synth blur causing the odd obnoctious artifact. I actually have a Roland synth setup here which i havent used for a few years (GI-20/GK-3 combo). Even that had tracking issues so this is technically fabulous!

Im guessing you have a some midi information going on live as well? It crossed my mind wondering what the latest and greatest piece of guitar synth equipment was the other day, so I had a quick google and it looks like its totally dried up (which i cant believe!)

nice!

yes, i'll share the updated patch when i've finished fooling with it

i used to use midi - i had a GR-30 for a bit and a VG-88 for a while, but let them go. i do miss the VG-88 a little bit - the alternate tunings and acoustics, mostly...

Well I reset my axe and shut down axe adit. The cab icons were in grey but im guessing because i have to sync and back up my axe. The thing that I'm kind of wondering is whether i'm placing the .sys cab file in the right place (meaning does it have to be on my desktop? or inside axe manage and in the axe edit "cab" folder)? And from that point the only time i'm able to see Send to axe-fx is when I go to the actual axe-fx tab or drop down section on the left column. Idk if that makes sense at all..

you can check whether the cab ir has made it to the axe fx, by looking in the cab - it should say gtrbody when you select the right slot. if you see gtrbody in axe edit and right click and send to axe fx, then i'm not sure it matters where you put it (although it should go in the "cabs" folder") - axe edit will ask you which user slot you want to put it in.

i would also bypass the volume block - if you have nothing connected to external 1, then it will default to zero.

Oops, nearly missed this.... :eek:ops
Great work Simeon, the patch sounds fantastic.
Everyone is going to have a lot of fun with this one, no doubt.
Now I've got to brush up on music theory though, in case I'd need to change that Aolean thingie :lol
See mum... the Axe II is educational too.

ok, here's an updated patch. not sure if it's substantially better than the first, but might be worth a try

i experimented with a viola and a cello ir, but stuck with the guitar body in the end, as it seemed to have the most balanced tone. i tried mixing different ones together in a stereo cab, but halving the resolution (as this does) did seem to have a big impact on the quality of the ir's (for the worse). i've included the ir's below, so you can have a play around with them and see what you think.

btw - if you wanna use this patch live, you'll probably need to bump up the patch volume quite a bit. the only way i was able to do this, was to lower the mix of the resonator to 30% and raise the filter after the cab to 450Hz. there's a mad resonant frequency going on at about 400hz, which is overloading the outputs, even with a modest bump in volume.

just out of interest, i typed "resonant frequencies of violins" into google - i was bothered about that 400hz resonance in the patch and couldn't really believe that a violin could pump out much at 200hz (even though one of the frequencies in the resonator was set to this) and it tuned up this - Violin acoustics: an introduction
i changed the frequencies in the resonator...basically raising them all up a bit and it seemed to help

I have a question...how can I get rid of these popping artifacts when I am playing? I haven't tried your new patch so maybe it doesn't happen anymore, but is there a way that I can check to see if it is clipping? What parameter should I adjust to make it not clip? Sounds absolutely amazing though...can't wait to spend some more time with it actually making music.

I don't think the popping is clipping. It's an artefact generated by the synth block when it hears two notes at once. You could try playing around with the drive block, but you really have to try and play very cleanly.

Thanks, simeon! Nice refinement of the patch.

I'll get no work done the rest of the afternoon...

Thanks for sharing this. I was able to get it loaded and with the diff cab files however I am a little lost as far as the expression goes.. I Hit control on the front panel and see where u have several mods listed but I'm not sure how they should be set or which ones as there are several.. more than the first violin patch u uploaded. I am not able to get the delay or pitch working either... any hints or ideas, as I am missing something. thanks again

Ext1 controls volume, bypass the first volume block if you don't want it. Ext3 unbypasses the pitch and delay blocks. Unlink if you want to bypass them manually.

Ext1 controls volume, bypass the first volume block if you don't want it. Ext3 unbypasses the pitch and delay blocks. Unlink if you want to bypass them manually.

That's how I have my pedals setup.

I've got a mission SP-1 plugged into ext1 and it controls the volume just fine.

Then I've got an EP-1, top port plugged into ex2 on the MFC101 and bottom port plugged into ext3.

When I press the switch down on the EP1 it mutes the volume completely. When I press it again, the sound returns. I've tried swapping the cables just to make sure I'm not dyslexic here, but I still can't get it to work?

Thanks for any help.

That's how I have my pedals setup.

I've got a mission SP-1 plugged into ext1 and it controls the volume just fine.

Then I've got an EP-1, top port plugged into ex2 on the MFC101 and bottom port plugged into ext3.

When I press the switch down on the EP1 it mutes the volume completely. When I press it again, the sound returns. I've tried swapping the cables just to make sure I'm not dyslexic here, but I still can't get it to work?

Thanks for any help.

Check which CC# the switch is set to on the MFC then find which item at the Axe I/O: CTRL page is set to that same CC#. The actual port # (XP/XS 1/2/3/4) doesn't mean something is automatically controlling the same EXT CTRL # on the Axe. Chances are the switch CC# happens to match a volume or block bypass CC#. Or possibly External 1 if you weren't verifying whether the other pedal brought the volume back after the switch muted things.

Back
Top Bottom