USB/Mac problem, too much power

ChainOfThought

Experienced
So I just unboxed my AX8, incredibly excited. First thing I wanted to do was hook up AX8 Edit and Fractal Bot, get the new firmware on it and start looking around.

When I plug in the USB I get a 'usb devices using too much power' sort of message and I can't get any connectivity to the AX8. This is a 2013 15" Macbook pro...couple years old but its still a powerhouse, I can't imagine the simple USB connection of the AX8 overloading it. Nothing else plugged in, fresh restart, with or without power adapter etc etc.

Does any body have any quick ideas? Ever run into this?

ugh. Tried two different cables, no luck. Different series of reboot/plug in, unplugged etc etc and every time no luck. Also tried one different computer, guess I'll try some others.

Also before all that shutdown your machine and **remove the power plug completely** for a minimum of 2 minutes then, restart.

Use an older Macbook Pro, no problems. Since you've used different cables and a different computer, it sounds more like a oroblem with the AX8.

Interesting...if the AX8 is turned off and I plug the USB cable in, I still get the same message. I can unplug it and stick a portable hard drive in the same slot and it works without issue. Very, very frustrating. I live in Kuwait for work so shipping back & forth for service if necessary is going to be very annoying. Guess I should just start talking to support.

yeah I figured its not supposed to draw much/any power. The AX8 and my charger are the only things plugged into the laptop. And it happens without the charger plugged in as well. And I can get the error message and immediately unplug the ax8 and plug in an external hard drive and it works fine.

I submitted a ticket...don't know what else I can try. Same issue on three different computers with two different cables, both of which have worked for my podHD and printer.

I wonder if your USB connection on the AX8 has a short...so whenever you plug a cable into it, it thinks it is drawing all sorts of current...bear-in-mind I know squat about USB.

I hope you get this sorted out soon...

Yeah I'm talking to Matt through the official support channels. Hopefully we'll get something sorted. Didn't occur to me until emailing with him that the residential power here in Kuwait is pretty shit, I've got ground issues in my apartment... I'm thinking it COULD have something to do with that. I've now tried 3 different computers, 2 different cables, all the standard troubleshooting for the mac (SMC reset etc) as well as plugging the thing in to various outlets in various rooms with or without power transformers or power strips...all with the same results.

At least the unit itself is working just fine. If nothing else its forcing me to learn the front panel. I found the angle severe models....plugged in through a poweramp & 1x12, they remind me EXACTLY of the tone & feel I remember from the real thing when I owned it 6 or 7 years ago. This little box is incredible, I just hope I can sort something out soon so I can update the firmware. Going to pick up a powered hub & new usb cable here in a bit to see if that makes any difference.n

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully either someone here or fractal support will have a brilliant idea or something already mentioned will work. And whoever mentioned the short across the USB port, I was thinking of the same possibility. Asked Matt if I can open it up to look without voiding my warranty...I have a feeling the answer is no but we'll see what he says. I will really REALLY hate it if I have to ship this thing back....

My take is that this is a computer issue. I've read where a simple computer keyboard caused the USB Power message, but I haven't found too many solutions.

I think the USB hub - if you can, powered if possible - is the best idea at this point. I'll keep looking into it.

Again, my issue with saying it's a computer issue is that I've tried three different computers, none of which have any issue what so ever with any other usb device that I have, all of which have the same problem with the ax8.

I'm not ready to say that it's a problem with the ax8, personally I think it's caused by the bad wiring in my apartment. However I am fairly certain it's not my computer.

Again, my issue with saying it's a computer issue is that I've tried three different computers, none of which have any issue what so ever with any other usb device that I have, all of which have the same problem with the ax8.

I'm not ready to say that it's a problem with the ax8, personally I think it's caused by the bad wiring in my apartment. However I am fairly certain it's not my computer.
Understood. It's something, and this is a unique situation. I'm just leaning toward "computer side" and not AX8 side, that's all. I'll keep looking.

I hear ya, and I'm not trying to be short it just seemed like the fifth time I've said it in as many minutes.

I'm basically leaning towards 'not something in the ax8,' just not leaning towards my computer.

And I greatly appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom