The Synth block

serge20261

Inspired
Could it be possible to get string like sounds from Synth Block,had a quick play couldn't of course make any sense of it.Is there any demos anywhere

you definitely CAN, but it'll take some work... I'm hoping that some folks start using it and making presets... I have a few synth presets I made which I'll upload soon, but they're in no way string-y.

I can perhaps migrate a few "one-synth" presets from Axe-Fx to FX8/AX8.

But most of them are Simeon's and he shares his creations on the basis of donations.

I was going to ask if Simeon had the .blk files for the synth and if they would work with the FX8. I just found his thread about the blocks the other day and was blown away from his sounds!

I have donated to @simeon and have asked him for help recreating one of his sounds on the FX8. He was very accommodating, but pointed out just how complex those presets actually are - most use two synth blocks for example. He did however help me get started making a few sounds on my own.

I think the basic template might look something like:

compressor > drive > synth > pitch >delay > chorus

At least I used that structure pretty successfully.

The trick is that it's a monophonic synth, which means that if you want any more than one note at a time you need to use that pitch block. With that you can easily create chords, etc., but you have to choose between single notes triggering chords and single notes on their own. which you can do by turning on and off the pitch block.

Add an automated filter or a tremolo pedal into the mix and you can get some REALLY deadly sounds...

Last edited:
don't forget that the synth block has it's own filter, which you can attach to a controller (although using one after the block can be easier if you're using multiple voices) and with three voices in the synth block itself, it's easy to create octaves or 5th harmonies just by shifting one or more of the voices using the shift parameter. try not to use one voice if you can...always use two and detune them slightly for fat analog goodness. also play around with the tracking parameter...setting it to "off" will create drones that play themselves and pitch is controlled by the frequency parameter

Now this sounds interesting, I have not had the chance to really mess with the Synth. Good to know about the more than one voice. TRTTRTTRT I look forward to hearing some of your sounds as well, sounds like you are already on the way!

Last edited:
don't forget that the synth block has it's own filter, which you can attach to a controller (although using one after the block can be easier if you're using multiple voices) and with three voices in the synth block itself, it's easy to create octaves or 5th harmonies just by shifting one or more of the voices using the shift parameter. try not to use one voice if you can...always use two and detune them slightly for fat analog goodness. also play around with the tracking parameter...setting it to "off" will create drones that play themselves and pitch is controlled by the frequency parameter

Awesome. Looking forward to trying this, thanks for the tips!

I can't wait to get started with the synth block and am hoping it might be able to recreate a couple of the synth lead lines from When You Were Young & Mr Brightside by The Killers.

I found Simeon's presets and like others was blown away. I would gladly donate for a head start with the synth on the FX8.

do remember that the synth block is not an "instrument synthesizer" like a typical piano/keyboard, which can match timbres like "trumpet" "strings" "drums" etc. many people see "synth" and think ooh i can do general midi sounds!

i learned a lot from reading about early synths on the web, watching people build presets on youtube (using analog synths) and also checking out my softsynths that use analog modelling. most of them only use two oscillators, so it's pretty easy to duplicate quite well many of the presets you'll find. you'll learn loads just by doing it. if you're a Logic user, the ES1 should be your first port of call and also the new Retro analog synth they added more recently.

Yea the ultra only had a 2 osc, of course it had 2 blocks. Most of my synth presets crossover to one block pretty much ok.

do remember that the synth block is not an "instrument synthesizer" like a typical piano/keyboard, which can match timbres like "trumpet" "strings" "drums" etc. many people see "synth" and think ooh i can do general midi sounds!

You can think of a keyboard, just think of a giant Moog.

I see the word "synth" and think "ooh I can tweak oscillators and ladder filters!" but maybe that's just me...

Back
Top Bottom