Success: Swapped out a broken value encoder all by myself..!

fret

Experienced
Yes... the value knob was playing up on my Ultra. And I got the part number from Fractal Support. Ordered the part from a local supplier and got to work tonight replacing it.

You have to remove the entire front panel PCB which is a task in of itself. Lots of screws. The one thing that I wasn't totally sure about was disconnecting the LCD cable. That works by flipping up the brown bit with a small screw driver.

I used de-solder braid to get the bulk of the solder out of the encoders sockets. Then levered it out with a small flat head screw driver, one corner at a time. For the final three pins I couldn't get each point hot enough to move it. So I put more solder back on so that I had more time to play with it. That worked when I heated all three joints and pulled at the same time. More de-solder braid to clean up the holes. Don't be afraid of re-soldering and then using the braid. Seems to work better with more solder in the joint, so if there is not enough... add some.

Then re-assemble... don't go too tight on the allen screws, or it'll stop some of the buttons working. If that happens back them off a bit.

Success! I feel like I need a scout badge or something ;-)

yeah I've had to add solder to the joint many times, but another thing that helps is liquid flux. You just have to make sure that you clean up really well afterwards.

Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom