Spent about 4 hours with an XL, absolutely blown away

meshall

...that I didn't buy an Axe FX years ago. My god, the JCM 800 amp alone had me occupied for like 40 minutes. Every single time I switched to a new preset in the first 20 or so it was like auditioning a new physical amp. And since I've never gotten to play several of them it was just pure joy. I haven't even begun using the effects or tapped anything that this magical box can do. Just playing through presets still. It's insane.

Takeaways- I always wanted a Dr. Z. The Axe FX has proven to me that this desire is justified. It really surprised me but the Mr. Z presets are among my favorites.

I hate to sell my JVM but I think it's going to happen. The Marshall amps in the Axe are just too good, and it'll help offset the cost of the unit.

Why oh why didn't I read the manual before the unit arrived? Now instead of diving in headfirst I'm going to be reading it while the Axe just sits there glaring at me, wanting to be fiddled with, haha.

It's rare that you get a piece of gear and pull it out of the box and it exceeds your expectations with nothing to complain about. The Axe is one of that rare breed. I've read lots of guys saying it rejuvenated their passion for guitar playing, and I definitely understand what they meant. It's just so powerful and yet straightforward, it's clear that it was made by players for players, and that they put in the time.

Thanks for an awesome product FAS.

Nice title haha. Days where i have the free time to just audition different amps are awesome. Glad you are digging it.

I have never even auditioned any axe presets other than the bassman preset 000 and I started 6 years ago on an ultra. I always think it is cool when someone says they get caught up in the presets.

I've been using the Maz 38 model for most of my gigs for the last year or so. It's such a great sounding model. I even started buying Dr Z amps and cabs. Now I use the Maz 38 model in the Axe-FX II into my Dr Z 1x12 Convertible cabinet. It's awesome!

You sir are king of the attention-getter.

If you like the Dr. Z's, be sure to tryout both the Ruby Rocket & Trainwreck Rocket models... different animal, but give some REALLY cool vibes for stuff ranging from John Mayer to Keith Urban territory.

You sir are king of the attention-getter.

If you like the Dr. Z's, be sure to tryout both the Ruby Rocket & Trainwreck Rocket models... different animal, but give some REALLY cool vibes for stuff ranging from John Mayer to Keith Urban territory.

+1 to the Ruby Rocket. It's a sleeper, it has such as great tone.

Why oh why didn't I read the manual before the unit arrived? Now instead of diving in headfirst I'm going to be reading it while the Axe just sits there glaring at me, wanting to be fiddled with, haha.

A couple suggestions...

1) Dive into the unit, mess with stuff, have fun to the point of it almost not being fun anymore. THEN go read the manual and resume having more fun than you previously thought possible (and have a little more of an idea what the manual is talking about when you read it).

2) The manual is a must-read, but so is the Cliff's notes (Tech subforum here). Lots of gold nuggets there for amp block advanced parameters.

Makes me all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it! Welcome

:)

Pauly

...that I didn't buy an Axe FX years ago. My god, the JCM 800 amp alone had me occupied for like 40 minutes. Every single time I switched to a new preset in the first 20 or so it was like auditioning a new physical amp. And since I've never gotten to play several of them it was just pure joy. I haven't even begun using the effects or tapped anything that this magical box can do. Just playing through presets still. It's insane.

Takeaways- I always wanted a Dr. Z. The Axe FX has proven to me that this desire is justified. It really surprised me but the Mr. Z presets are among my favorites.

I hate to sell my JVM but I think it's going to happen. The Marshall amps in the Axe are just too good, and it'll help offset the cost of the unit.

It's rare that you get a piece of gear and pull it out of the box and it exceeds your expectations with nothing to complain about. The Axe is one of that rare breed. I've read lots of guys saying it rejuvenated their passion for guitar playing, and I definitely understand what they meant. It's just so powerful and yet straightforward, it's clear that it was made by players for players, and that they put in the time.

Thanks for an awesome product FAS.

Glad to hear this and especially that you are that excited about the JCM800. I'm currently waiting on an AX8 and the conjecture in that area of the forum is seriously harshing my anticipation...

Love it when threads are created by click-bait writers.

I was just going to say 4 hours is just enough time to barely scratch the surface.

Back
Top Bottom