Routing on my studio patches.

Guitarist9891

Inspired
I just upgraded to quantum 2 from FW 5.07. To my extreme delight I was able to get all my old trusted sounds back very quickly. Just turn Cut on and turn input trim down from 1.000 to 0.202. I checked by tracking all my patches from 5.07 in pro tools first and then matched the sound by ear to the point it was indistinguishable. Surprisingly it was much easier than with any previous firmware.

ANYWAY...:)

Now that I had Axe Edit open I suddenly got an idea on routing. I usually like to track dry, but it is really great to have some delay when soloing. So I send a dry sound out of OUT1 and send the Delay ( or any effects ) out of OUT 2 set to 100% mix. That way I can monitor with effects in Pro Tools while recording a dry sound and still have the freedom to add any effects to it later when comes time to mix. You just have to have input monitoring on 2 separate tracks in your DAW. One for your dry sound and one for your Delay. Cant believe I did not think of this sooner.

Hopefully it can make recording more enjoyable for someone else here.
Loving Quantum 2!!!
Cheers!

Last edited:
I just upgraded to quantum 2 from FW 5.07. To my extreme delight I was able to get all my old trusted sounds back very quickly. Just turn Cut on and turn input trim down from 1.000 to 0.202.
woah that's a pretty drastic change! i'll have to try that i guess to see how it affects the sound. i wouldn't guess that adjusting input trim would make current FW sound like older FW :) thanks for sharing this solution.

great idea with the routing as well. have you heard about the Wet/Dry option with the USB interface in the Axe? it's pretty cool and can do almost what you just described; it's called reamping. your idea is another way of doing it that many might enjoy. cool post!

woah that's a pretty drastic change! i'll have to try that i guess to see how it affects the sound. i wouldn't guess that adjusting input trim would make current FW sound like older FW :) thanks for sharing this solution.

great idea with the routing as well. have you heard about the Wet/Dry option with the USB interface in the Axe? it's pretty cool and can do almost what you just described; it's called reamping. your idea is another way of doing it that many might enjoy. cool post!

Well I would say that Quantum sounds more focused. 5.07 sounds more smeared to me somehow. About input trim yes it plays a huge role. Main thing I was looking for is the same EQ balance of the sound. So my patches would not get brighter or boomier. Also on my live patches I have kept all old IRs that I was previously using - and as we know IRs are a HUGE part of the sound. I was very happy with my live sound I upgraded mainly to get new patches for the studio ( and take advantage of ultra-res on my studio patches) - so it made me really happy that I was able to get my old live sounds back by just adjusting input trim and turning cut on.

I am well aware of reamping - but I prefer to get it right the first time :) (worst case scenario I just re-record) I do eq while I am mixing. So when I record my goal is to record a sound that is rich in frequency that I can later work on and sculpt as needed to fit the song. I do record with a highpass filter though. 100 or so for rhythm and 130 for leads. If I need to high pass further I do it in Pro Tools later.

As a side note to anyone just getting into recording: if lets say your tone is not bright enough - do not just boost highs! Get rid of some low and low mid frequencies. It will make to tone brighter and free space for other instruments in your mix. 90% of your eq moves should be subtractive. I am talking in the box eq moves with plugins or using a parametric eq block in the AXE. Your amp model eq is a different story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom