PETE THORN AXE-FX II PRESETS AND CAB IR!

Thanks Pete! These patches have so much "life" in them compared to my own. I can't stop playing them!

If I may, I wanted ask you what your approach might be if you wanted to take one of these patches and create a liquidy lead tone? Would you just add delay and a drive pedal or would you tweak the amp?

"Velvet First" comes to mind.

I'd add a BB pre maybe, or a TS-type with the level up fairly high, and the gain down pretty low, tone down below half a bit... and then I'd add a stereo delay, probably a tape or analog one, post-tone match... I'd set one side at 250 and the other at 500 ms, with a few repeats.... or maybe just a 400 ms delay bit with the ratio at like 96% so it has a bit of "stereo"... roll off lows on the delay, to like 200 hz or even higher, and highs too rolled off to like 3 or 4k, add a bit of warble to it... and you are there! Maybe a bit of verb, in parallel, a plate with like 2.5 sec decay and once again, once again roll off lows and highs, just mix it in a bit til it feels right.

I'd add a BB pre maybe, or a TS-type with the level up fairly high, and the gain down pretty low, tone down below half a bit... and then I'd add a stereo delay, probably a tape or analog one, post-tone match... I'd set one side at 250 and the other at 500 ms, with a few repeats.... or maybe just a 400 ms delay bit with the ratio at like 96% so it has a bit of "stereo"... roll off lows on the delay, to like 200 hz or even higher, and highs too rolled off to like 3 or 4k, add a bit of warble to it... and you are there! Maybe a bit of verb, in parallel, a plate with like 2.5 sec decay and once again, once again roll off lows and highs, just mix it in a bit til it feels right.

now that's what i call advice! just an awesome guy who knows his stuff.

I enjoyed trying these patches and the IR. Spent a good half hour checking them out. They are really good! As explained already, the TM block doesn't transfer properly with AE, so use the Bot instead and it works just fine.
So just before I switched back to one of my own presets, I winced, expecting mine to sound all dull and lifeless, but to my amazement, all my presets & my IR stood up pretty well against PT's. This is vindication to me that I was on the right track tone-wise. Good stuff!

It's so great that you want to share this patch Pete, from a man who knows what good tone is. You are definately on my list now and when I get home I'm gonna check that album too! Have to get the guitar style with the tone too ;)

Really cool bloke! I like how he said about keeping the valve amps. Valve or Axe 2.... Both things are fun to play with!

I appreciate this amount of detail Pete.... seriously. It's not every day we get such detailed information from an industry pro. As much as I love the presets and IR's you provided, I appreciate even more the access to you that you are giving and the opportunity to learn from you new approaches and information to improve my own tones as well.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this. :)

Can't wait to dig into this!!

Had a little time with these presets/IR last night, although at low volume. Fantastic.. a little teak here or there for the Les Paul, same for the Strat and they're killer. I tried the IR with some of my presets- very nice. I plan to try mixing the IR with some other cabs next time around. To me, these presets seem very balanced with not too much this or that.. slight tweaks based on the guitar being used and that balance remains. I like the BE100 preset with my Les Paul in particular- again, a little more balanced than my own presets seem to be with that guitar.

Thanks again Pete..

cool presets and ir from a cool guy...
thanks, pete, for sharing.

where can i find directions on how to download the presets & IR using Axe Edit? i've tried fractal-bot & it doesn't work. i'm on the new firmware and i've never used axe edit to download presets before cause when i got my axe fx ii, axe edit wasn't available and i've always just used the "bot". thx
didn't see a response to your question.
in case you are still having problems, here are the steps:
1 make sure you are on fw11 (indicated by pete)
2 safe and unzip pete's folder
3 connect your axe fx to your pc and start up fractal bot
4 on your axe fx, select a preset space you want to overwrite with pete's preset
5 browse pete's preset and send it to your axe fx
6 you should see pete's preset name appearing on your axe fx panel. hit "store" and "enter" twice
7 now using the bot again, browse for pete's ir sysex file
8 when you hit send, a window will pop up to ask you which user cab slot you want to save to (you have 100 slots available)
9 remember what number you choose and hit ok
10 now go to pete's preset on your axe fx and choose the layout view.
11 select the cab block and hit "edit"
12 ensure that you select pete's ir in the slot you selected in step 9 above for your cab type
13 hit "store" and "enter" twice
14 voila!

Is this a revenue model test, or an artist promo test?
Either way, it's a win for users, especially if specs on the tonematch guitar(s) are released (wood, axe, maker, pickups, strings, pick etc)

Is this a revenue model test, or an artist promo test?
Either way, it's a win for users, especially if specs on the tonematch guitar(s) are released (wood, axe, maker, pickups, strings, pick etc)

This and the Stef Carpenter presets are the generosity of the artists.

cool presets and ir from a cool guy...
thanks, pete, for sharing.

didn't see a response to your question.
in case you are still having problems, here are the steps:
1 make sure you are on fw11 (indicated by pete)
2 safe and unzip pete's folder
3 connect your axe fx to your pc and start up fractal bot
4 on your axe fx, select a preset space you want to overwrite with pete's preset
5 browse pete's preset and send it to your axe fx
6 you should see pete's preset name appearing on your axe fx panel. hit "store" and "enter" twice
7 now using the bot again, browse for pete's ir sysex file
8 when you hit send, a window will pop up to ask you which user cab slot you want to save to (you have 100 slots available)
9 remember what number you choose and hit ok
10 now go to pete's preset on your axe fx and choose the layout view.
11 select the cab block and hit "edit"
12 ensure that you select pete's ir in the slot you selected in step 9 above for your cab type
13 hit "store" and "enter" twice
14 voila!

Thank you sir. I was missing a few steps in there

BTW, corrected versions of the Stef presets are on the site today. I'll make a news post about them.

Back
Top Bottom