[Not a Bug] Triangle LFO in Certain Chorus Types

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I'm getting very strange results when selecting a Triangle LFO in the following Chorus types:

Analog Mono
Analog Stereo
Dimension 2
Dimension 3
Japan CE-2

Definitely not a triangle. The pitch change should toggle between two opposite values equidistant from the original. But it swoops and changes erratically. Is this intentional? I hope not. The sawtooths don't sound right either, on any mode. The pitch swoops quite intensely instead of being a constant pitch change as would happen with a sawtooth.

Firmware 1.12.

Last edited:
Those types use “analog” delay lines. The delay lines are virtual bucket brigade devices with the delay time controlled by a virtual oscillator. That behavior is consistent with how they would work in the real world.

Ok. I've just never used a BBD chorus that sounded like this myself. Any analog chorus I've owned with a triangle LFO produced a tiny pitch variation at the discontinuity. The triangle in the Chorus block sounds more like a unidirectional log curve (clip attached). But you're the man, so I'll take your word for it. Could you verify that this is the correct behavior for the triangle analog LFO?

Last edited:
Now that I think about it more carefully, the issue was that I did not allow a sufficient Delay Time to accommodate both directions of the sweep at that Depth setting (specifically, the portion where the delay is reduced). I would expect a real world analog delay to do the same. My bad. Title edited.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom