[NOT A BUG] Compressor Release showing wrong time value??

Alter Ego

Inspired
Unless I'm missing something the compressor release values display is way off. In "Ped" mode setting the release for 1000 ms seems to generate a release about 10 times that long....

running 5.7

This is by design. Pedal compressors typically have very long release times so the time is scaled by 10 for pedal mode. The time in studio mode is accurate to within a microsecond.

What does the release rate represent? I thought it was the time it take for level to return to normal after the input level falls below the threshold.
If I set release at 1000 ms (studio), it is taking longer than that to return to 0 db.

The times are the classic "time constants" for analog circuits, i.e. the time it takes for a signal to settle to 37% of it's final value (e^-1).

Thanks very much for checking Java, and thanks for the clarification Cliff....I noticed this while trying to emulate a MXR pedal compressor, which one site had listed a release time for of 1 second....I take it ro emulate it I should set the Axe-fx to 100 ms--right?? ..The alternative-a real world 10 second release- seems awfully long, but Cliff did say " Pedal compressors typically have very long release times.."...

No biggie, but I'm just curious if anyone happens to know....thanks again..

Necro-bump, but curious about that too. Do you multiply by ten for the figure in the Fractal world, ie 100ms is 1000ms in Fractal-land, or vice versa?

Necro-bump, but curious about that too. Do you multiply by ten for the figure in the Fractal world, ie 100ms is 1000ms in Fractal-land, or vice versa?
Super-Necro-Bump.....
I don't understand... it is: Fractal x 10 = realworld. or Fractal / 10 = realworld

SO... I have a compresso IN REAL WORDL that it had 1second (1000ms) of release.
In Fractal PEDAL compressor mode, what is it? 100 ms?

Back
Top Bottom