MFC teething pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
Just got my new MFC-101 MKIII yesterday.
I've been having a much harder time getting it happening than I was expecting but, except for one remaining issue (that I may already know the answer for), I'm OK now.
The two other issues I was having have to be bugs but I'm not sure I want to take the time to detail them here and they have resolved themselves.
Maybe later.

So, the remaining issue has to do with phantom powering the MFC from my Axe-II (MKI).
My plan was to use one of two 7-PIN DIN cables I had Mario at the now defunct Axxess Electronics make up for me to use for phantom powering my old ADA MXC foot controller via my old Triaxis rig.
When I use these cable with the MFC's wall wart plugged into the Axe's phantom power jack, the MFC does receive power but all of the LEDs are solid orange, the MFC software never boots up and it's non-functional.
At first I thought it was a polarity issue but I tried powering the MFC directly via a Radio Shack universal AC adaptor I have and the MFC powered up fine with either polarity.
So it has to be the way the pins of the cable(s) are wired.
I always thought that ADA's 7-pin MIDI wiring scheme was the standard on which all other 7-pin MIDI cable were based upon but I'm guessing now that this is not the case and that most of you folks already know this, right?
Or is there some other strange voodoo going on here?
Note: The cables *do* work with the ADA MXC. I checked that to be sure.

So I'm wondering if I'd be wasting my money ordering a 7-pin MIDI cable online from someone besides Fractal (or whoever that supplier for cables that Fractal uses is)?
E.g. Would this Rocktron cable
Rocktron RMM900 7-Pin MIDI Cable | Musician's Friend
work with the MFC or would it have the same pin assignment as my current 7-pin cables made for the ADA footcontroller?

The plot sickens....
In the customer reviews for the cable at this link
Hosa 7-Pin Phantom MIDI Cable | Musician's Friend
somebody says that it works with Fractal products and somebody else says that it works with both Rocktron and ADA products.

I'll probably just cave in, be safe, and order from Fractal's guy online but I'd much rather just walk into a local retailer like Long & McQuades and pick the cable up directly.

While were at it...
The only
Ethernet cable I have over here at present that successfully powers up and boots up the MFC does not have complete 2-way communication with the Axe.
I can change Presets but the IA switches don't light up and the Preset names don't show up in the MFC's display.
This cable does say "Cat-5" on it but it does not say RJ45 or anything else.
My other Ethernet cables (for my printer and/or modem) are flimsy little things and don't even get the phantom power from the Axe to the MFC.

So, what type of Ethernet cable should I be looking for?
Ideally, I'd like to just be able to walk into Best Buy or sim and buy a cable tonight.
But ultimately I'll probably be using 7-pin MIDI cable for all of this.

Any guidance appreciated.

Lol.
After I re-soldered the phantom power receptacle on my old Ultra *that* problem was resolved (back in 2008 ).
And that wasn't an issue with the pin wiring on the cable IIRC.
It was a polarity issue between the Ultra, the ADA AC adapter and the ADA MXC.
The MFC doesn't seem to care what the polarity of the AC adapter is.

But with the Axe II I never had any of those same issues and never had to re-solder its phantom power receptacle to make it work (with any of my subsequent phantom power/MIDI foot-controller schemes or with the ADA stuff, e.g. my FCB1010 with phantom power mod and a 7-to-5 pin custom cable from Mario).
I wasn't really sure what the difference was between the Ultra and the II but I didn't really care.

At any rate...
With the II, the stock ADA AC adapter, the ADA MXC and these 7-pin cables I got from Mario way-back-when everything works fine.
I just checked it again to be sure I wasn't going crazy.

So if the ADA compatible 7-pin cables are not the odd man out here I don't know what to make of all of this.

I have to say also that the MFC seems to be really particular about what type of cables you're using whether they be standard 5-pin MIDI cables or Ethernet cables.
I've got several 5-pin MIDI cables that allow Preset changes but nothing else and I've got several that work fine and all of these cables work fine with all of my other MIDI gear.
This is frustrating but it won't be a big deal.
And with all the advanced features of the MFC it's somewhat understandable.

I just fired off an email to fractalsupport.

It's likely that I'm experiencing the exact same problem that I had back in 2008 between my Ultra and the ADA MXC.
The fact that my II works fine with that same pedal is probably because I had already swapped the two wires on the AC adapter receptacle on the II when I first bought it but just don't remember doing so.

The issue seems to be that the ADA and every other foot-controller I've been using uses AC/DC adapters and the MCF (like many other hi-end foot-controllers) uses AC/AC adapters.

I've suggested that in future production models of the Axe-FX they consider adding a little toggle switch next to the AC adapter jack so folks like me can freely go back and forth between various MIDI foot-controllers w/o needing to un-rack the Axe, open it up, re-solder the jack, close it and re-rack it again.

I'm still waiting to hear back from fractalsupport but I'm pretty sure this is what's going on.

I still can't tell what the issue is with the Ethernet connection though.
Both the Axe-FX and MFC manuals makes it sound like pretty much any Ethernet cable should do but that hasn't been the true in my case.

Recap:
I've got a couple of Ethernet cables that won't even send power to the MFC.
And the one Ethernet cable I have that does phantom power the MFC doesn't have 2-way communication with the Axe.
[Yes, I do switch the MIDI mode on the MFC to Expansion when I'm trying out Ethernet cables.]

Anybody know what might be going on here?

Here's another question.

In the past I've always used foot-controllers with 10 preset switches and my rack processors always had banks of 10 presets.
I've been planning on doing that with the MFC as well.

The issue I'm having is that there's a bit of a disconnect for me in the MFC's bank naming conventions when I set it up for banks of 10 presets.
E.g.
Preset "Bank 1" shows Presets numbered 01, 02, 03, etc.
Preset "Bank 2" shows Presets numbered 11, 22, 33, etc.

I'd prefer there to be a way to offset this Bank numbering scheme by -1 so that:
Bank 0 shows Presets 01, 02, 03, etc.
Bank 1 shows Presets 11, 12, 13, etc.

I don't suppose there's already a way to do this is there (and I've just not seen it in the manual or noticed it within any of the menus)?

The plot sickens...

So I've had a few exchanges now with Fractal Support about my phantom power problems and it seems that there are actually 2 issues (one of them kind of major) none of which have to do with the polarity of my AC adapters or whether they're AC-to-DC or AC-to-AC adapters.

Regarding my problems with phantom power via 7-pin MIDI cables.
They've convinced me that the problem is my current 7-pin MIDI cables and we're expecting the problem to go away when the new 7-pin cable I just ordered from Best-Tronics arrives in a couple of weeks.
[I'm trying to get Fractal to extend the 15 day Satisfaction Guarantee for me and I hope they'll do that because if I can't get phantom power working on the MFC I'm not going to want to keep it, as good as it is.]

They've said that the issue is that the pins on my current cables may not be long enough to make a solid connection or they might not be wired correctly, e.g. with breaks in continuity.
Assuming that this is true, and I've come to the conclusion myself that my cables must be the problem, and I'm really sorry to go all negative here, this just seems like a cash grab to me.
My current 7-pin MIDI cables were custom made for me by a consummate professional (Mario of Axxess Electronics fame) and have worked and continue to work perfectly well with my ADA MXC foot-controller.
If the only 7-pin cables suitable for use with the MFC have to be bought from Fractal's supplier, well that just seems way off to me.
I was also shied away from buying one of Rocktron's or Hosa's 7-pin cables.
I love all things Fractal, but.... WTF?

[It turns out that my concerns about the swapped wires on the phantom power jack on my Axe II were misplaced.
Whether or not I had swapped these wires on my II would not affect the ability of the MFC's AC-to-AC adapter to successfully power up the MFC over a 7-pin MIDI cable because AC power is polarity neutral.
And now that I've re-read my emails from 2008, where someone else at Fractal Support told me to swap the wires on my Ultra's phantom power jack, I realize that that *was* a polarity issue and not an AC-to-AC vs AC-to-DC adapter thing as I had misconstrued it.
He really should have told me to just get a different AC adapter that allowed me to change the tip's polarity.
I.e. There was never any need for me to open up my Ultra and re-solder those two wires.
But I'm assuming that I actually did re-solder those same wires on my II when I first bought it because the same AC adapter that was problematic with my Ultra before I modded the Ultra is not problematic with the II at the moment.
I.e. With that adapter's jack plugged into the back of the II it can power up and communicate with my ADA MXC pedal over my current 7-pin MIDI cables.
That's a stock ADA AC adapter and doesn't allow for polarity switching.
So unless Fractal has changed the stock polarity of the phantom power jack on the IIs compared to the Ultra days that's what I must have done.
I'll be switching the wires back to stock sometime soon just so I don't lose track of that fact, just in case I sell my II somewhere down the road.]

The issues with the weirdness I've seen with my Ethernet connection attempts was actually determined, much to my dismay, to be a caused by a blown Ethernet port on my Axe-FX.
Their take on it is that it probably got blown during my 1st attempt to power up the MFC with the same Ethernet cable I use to connect my printer to my Mac.
This cable has been working for several years and continues to work w/o incident with my printer even though it's not the sturdiest looking of cables.
But when I connected it between my Axe-FX and the MFC and then turned my Axe-FX on there was no power up at all on the MFC.
The claim is that some aspect of the way the cable is wired sent some voltage somewhere into the Axe's Ethernet port and fried the functionality out of the port.
The port still works but in a very limited fashion with 2 other Ethernet cables I have in that the MFC gets power, boots up and the Preset Switches change the MFC Presets - but it does not communicate with the Axe and the Axe's Presets don't change.
So, sometime after I resolve the phantom power over MIDI issue I'm going to have to send my II in to replace the Ethernet port.
I'm currently trying to convince Fractal to do this as warranty work (even though my warranty has long expired) because I don't see this as being caused by me.
If there are any warnings in either the Axe-FX or MFC manuals about how some Ethernet cables can fry the Ethernet port on the II, would someone please point that out to me.
Because I haven't seen any warnings like that.

Not really a happy camper right now.

Here's another question.

In the past I've always used foot-controllers with 10 preset switches and my rack processors always had banks of 10 presets.
I've been planning on doing that with the MFC as well.

The issue I'm having is that there's a bit of a disconnect for me in the MFC's bank naming conventions when I set it up for banks of 10 presets.
E.g.
Preset "Bank 1" shows Presets numbered 01, 02, 03, etc.
Preset "Bank 2" shows Presets numbered 11, 22, 33, etc.

I'd prefer there to be a way to offset this Bank numbering scheme by -1 so that:
Bank 0 shows Presets 01, 02, 03, etc.
Bank 1 shows Presets 11, 12, 13, etc.

I don't suppose there's already a way to do this is there (and I've just not seen it in the manual or noticed it within any of the menus)?

I'm assuming that since there have been no replies about this yet that it's not currently possible.
Y/N?

Guess I'll post this over at the MFC Wishlist sometime soon then.

I'm assuming that since there have been no replies about this yet that it's not currently possible.
Y/N?

Guess I'll post this over at the MFC Wishlist sometime soon then.

Fellow MFC noob here... There are settings in the unit for both the MFC and Axe Fx preset offset. Just set those both to 0, assuming your Axe Fx is also already starting from 0?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fellow MFC noob here... There are settings in the unit for both the MFC and Axe Fx preset offset. Just set those both to 0, assuming your Axe Fx is also already starting from 0?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm talking about *Bank Number* offsets.
Not Axe or MFC Preset Number Offsets which I already use as well (but I set them to 1 so their actually offset from the norm which is 0).
I also have my Axe FX Preset Numbers offset by 1.
That way the 1st Preset is called #1 rather than #0.
What I'm asking for here is to be able to call the 1st Bank of MFC Presets "Bank 000" as opposed "Bank 001" which is the way it is now.

Not Axe or MFC Preset Number Offsets which I already use as well (but I set them to 1 so their actually offset from the norm which is 0).
What I'm asking for here is to be able to call the 1st Bank of MFC Presets "Bank 000" as opposed "Bank 001" which is the way it is now.

Yeah, sorry - I misread what you were saying. Haven't seen anything related to that in the docs or the settings I have looked at.

The plot sickens...

So I've had a few exchanges now with Fractal Support about my phantom power problems and it seems that there are actually 2 issues (one of them kind of major) none of which have to do with the polarity of my AC adapters or whether they're AC-to-DC or AC-to-AC adapters.

They've convinced me that the problem is my current 7-pin MIDI cables and we're expecting the problem to go away when the new 7-pin cable I just ordered from Best-Tronics arrives in a couple of weeks.
[I'm trying to get Fractal to extend the 15 day Satisfaction Guarantee for me and I hope they'll do that because if I can't get phantom power working on the MFC I'm not going to want to keep it, as good as it is.]

They've said that the issue is that the pins on my current cables may not be long enough to make a solid connection or they might not be wired correctly, e.g. with breaks in continuity.
Assuming that this is true, and I've come to the conclusion myself that my cables must be the problem, and I'm really sorry to go all negative here, this just seems like a cash grab to me.
My current 7-pin MIDI cables were custom made for me by a consummate professional (Mario of Axxess Electronics fame) and have worked and continue to work perfectly well with my ADA MXC foot-controller.
If the only 7-pin cables suitable for use with the MFC have to be bought from Fractal's supplier, well that just seems way off to me.

[It turns out that my concerns about the swapped wires on the phantom power jack on my Axe II were misplaced.
Whether or not I had swapped these wires on my II would not affect the ability of the MFC's AC-to-AC adapter to successfully power up the MFC over a 7-pin MIDI cable because AC power is polarity neutral.
And now that I've re-read my emails from 2008, where someone else at Fractal Support told me to swap the wires on my Ultra's phantom power jack, I realize that that *was* a polarity issue and not an AC-to-AC vs AC-to-DC adapter thing as I had misconstrued it.
He really should have told me to just get a different AC adapter that allowed me to change the tip's polarity.
I.e. There was never any need for me to open up my Ultra and re-solder those two wires.
But I'm assuming that I actually did re-solder those same wires on my II when I first bought it because the same AC adapter that was problematic with my Ultra before I modded the Ultra is not problematic with the II at the moment.
I.e. With that adapter's jack plugged into the back of the II it can power up and communicate with my ADA MXC pedal over my current 7-pin MIDI cables.
So unless Fractal has changed the stock polarity of the phantom power jack on the IIs compared to the Ultra days that's what I must have done.
I'll be switching the wires back to stock sometime soon just so I don't lose track of that fact, just in case I sell my II somewhere down the road.]

The issues with the weirdness I've seen with my Ethernet connection attempts was actually determined, much to my dismay, to be a caused by a blown Ethernet port on my Axe-FX.
Their take on it is that it probably got blown during my 1st attempt to power up the MFC with the same Ethernet cable I use to connect my printer to my Mac.
This cable has been working for several years and continues to work w/o incident with my printer even though it's not the sturdiest looking of cables.
But when I connected it between my Axe-FX and the MFC and then turned my Axe-FX on there was no power up at all on the MFC.
The claim is that some aspect of the way the cable is wired sent some voltage somewhere into the Axe's Ethernet port and fried the functionality out of the port.
The port still works but in a very limited fashion with 2 other Ethernet cables I have in that the MFC gets power, boots up and the Preset Switches change the MFC Presets - but it does not communicate with the Axe and the Axe's Presets don't change.
So, sometime after I resolve the phantom power over MIDI issue I'm going to have to send my II in to replace the Ethernet port.
I'm currently trying to convince Fractal to do this as warranty work (even though my warranty has long expired) because I don't see this as being caused by me.
If there are any warnings in either the Axe-FX or MFC manuals about how some Ethernet cables can fry the Ethernet port on the II, would someone please point that out to me.

I want to apologize about the “cash grab” comment above.
I’m a little bit upset about all of this but I’m gradually calming down and even I can imagine a scenario where Mario might not have connected all 7 pins on those cables because back then foot-controllers didn’t do bi-directional communication.
I’m too clumsy with the probes of my multi-meter to actually check the continuity but that’s my current hypothesis.

But if that’s the case, and it’s also common practice for other 7-pin cable manufacturers (like Rocktron or Hosa) to do the same thing and that that’s why we’re all better off buying the 7-pin cables from Best-Tronics, I think Fractal might be well served to mention that somewhere in their support materials so guys like me will have less of a tendency to fly off the handle.

I've got a 7-pin cable on order from Best-Tronics now but it won't be here for a couple of weeks (because I'm too cheap to pay for faster service).
If their cable doesn't work too I'll be back in pissed-off-ville pretty quickly.

I don't even want to think about the issues with my Axe's Ethernet port right now.

I've started a thread about this feature request over in the MFC Wishes forum.
Probably best to talk about it there if anybody wants to talk about it.

The plot sickens...

Update:

I received the Best-Tronics 7-pin MIDI cable today.
As far as phantom power is concerned, it's got the same issues as my other 7-pin MIDI cables.
I.e. The MFC receives phantom power as can be seen from the fact that all of the MFC's red leds are lit solid, but the MFC never boots up and there is no communication with the Axe once the Axe is powered on.

But there is an important difference between the BT cable and my others.
If I power up the MFC by connecting the adapter directly to the MFC and connect the MFC to the Axe via the BT cable, everything (including all expected 2-way communication between the MFC and the Axe) works like it's supposed to just as if I were using a good 5-pin MIDI cable.
But with my older 7-pin cables there is only 1-way communication (e.g. the Axe's Preset names never show up on the MFC's lcd screen.
But it's not working properly even for that.
E.g. There is a time lag between when the MFC sends a PC message and when the Axe reacts to it.
E.g. The Axe's output volume goes down several dB briefly approximately every second.
Etc., etc.

So buying the BT cable wasn't exactly a waste of money but it hasn't solved my phantom power issue either.
And there is definitely something wrong with my other cables.
[I suspect that Mario (from Axxess) who custom made those cables for me didn't wire up all the pins because back then (circa 1993) there weren't any foot-controllers that used all 7 pins.]

I'm waiting to hear back from Matt about these new developments now.
But needless to say, I'm still not a happy camper.

I just bought the Ethercon cable from them hoping to get it tomorrow. I'm not going to even try the midi cable from my rocktron

So you posted A LOT of detail regarding your problem that has a very simple fix:

Ethercon cable.

If you are simply using the unit to change presets/effects/X-Y/tap-tempo/tuner, just have the phantom power of the ehtercon cable transmit the data and power the unit on. This is how I am using my AFX II Mark I and MFC-101 Mark II. The supplied ethercon cable works great. I am sure FAS can get you one ordered as I didn't see one on the shop page.

The only time I use a MIDI cable is to update the firmware, that's it. Midi cables are not a requirement for 2 way communication from the MFC to AFX.

MFC-1.GIF

I've found first-hand that the issues can be both hardware and cable related.

I had a cheap MIDI cable from some unknown source and couldn't get it to provide phantom power. I bought a new one from Best-Tronics and it worked.

Same with ethernet. I was using a cable I had laying around the house and got the dreaded "name timeout" issue. I found that the jack wasn't fully seated in the back of the Axe, and that if I pushed on it, the MFC would work sporadically. I ordered an ethernet cable from Best-Tronics and have NEVER had the issue again. So to say it's a cash grab isn't necessarily fair. The Best-Tronics cables solved my issue in both cases.

However, one of my friends had trouble with his MFC-101. He used my BT cable as well as 3 others ordered from BT (they kept sending replacements) and none of them worked right. He sent his MFC to Fractal and they fixed the issue. He got the impression from support that there was an unexpected hardware issue that was either rare or hadn't been encountered before. Maybe your MFC has the same issue?

So it seems you did not read many of those details.
But thanks anyway.
You probably meant well.

I'm willing to overlook your condescending tone a repost what you stated:

"The only
Ethernet cable I have over here at present that successfully powers up and boots up the MFC does not have complete 2-way communication with the Axe.
I can change Presets but the IA switches don't light up and the Preset names don't show up in the MFC's display.
This cable does say "Cat-5" on it but it does not say RJ45 or anything else.
My other Ethernet cables (for my printer and/or modem) are flimsy little things and don't even get the phantom power from the Axe to the MFC.
So, what type of Ethernet cable should I be looking for?
Ideally, I'd like to just be able to walk into Best Buy or sim and buy a cable tonight.
But ultimately I'll probably be using 7-pin MIDI cable for all of this."

So... My solution is an ethercon cable specifically designed for your Axe-FX and MFC was addressing that specific issue directly ordered from BTPA.com .

Additionally, you should check the I/O info about SYSEX settings and verify it's all setup correctly. If you are at a complete loss over the Ethernet connection, I would factory reset the MFC and factory reset the AFX.

But ya know, I only mean well and probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom