Metallica using Axe Fx's on stage!

There is a Tonematch out there of Het's live tone. It sounds incredible!

When using the Mesa Amp gear they are using Mesa Recto 4x12 cabs with Vintage 30's. 1 4x12 Mic'd with Audio Technica mics.

They are actually 4x12 iso cabs. The shipping cases are behemoths. Both James and Kirk had two each. Not having to lug those around was one of many appealing aspects of switching to the AxeFX II for these guys.

He still has 4 on stage 4x12 cabs for stage feel and feedback. Powered By Matrix amps. But the signal going to FOH and what you hear in the recordings is direct.

I'm not sure that James or Kirk really put much consideration into the amount of gear (besides maybe some particular guitars) that gets hauled around. Whatever they want to use, they can and do. When you have a crew like Metallica does, schlepping gear doesn't matter. James and Kirk show up for the show and the techs are ready and waiting with a guitar. The techs do all the amp and FX switching for them. They don't need to lift a finger. I wouldn't either if I was in their position! :)

The one thing they do to save cartage is have 1 rig in the US and 1 in Europe.

All bands care about how much it costs to ship around gear. It is true that bigger bands have more revenue. But they also have much higher expenses.

James and Kirk the guitar players don't have to worry about schlepping gear. Metallica as a business entity does however. That's why Axe-FX II rigs are gaining steam with even the biggest bands around.

Hi everybody,
My name is Chad and I am James' guitar tech. Thanks for the kind words regarding the new guitar rigs we have going. Special thanks to "Guitarjon" for his enthusiasm in recreating all those old album tones! Jon's hard work and Fractal's technology and dedication to quality, realistic amplifier/cabinet sounds make having these sounds at home a real possibility. If I've learned one thing in the last six months of AxeFx immersion is that you need both human talent and technology that can match your imagination and what you want to hear in your head. The Fractal team has been (beyond) extremely helpful in helping us realize our new AxeFx guitar rigs.

Maybe I can offer a few facts for those of you who are interested in return.
Changing from our tried and true analogue guitar rigs to AxeFx systems was a giant leap for the band and us tech's alike. Everyone felt that the technology provided by FAS was good enough to make this kind of change. There were several reasons to try this. Once the problem of getting our equipment to Antarctica was established, we had a reasonable excuse to make a leap of faith. The Grammy's backed that up.

We began to duplicate our live rigs last fall virtually with the AxeFx. The tones have been a work in progress since day 1. The tones have changed slightly even since the beginning of this South America run and will probably continue to be tweaked and experimented with. The ability to now listen to James play for two plus hours lets me hone in on areas of the sound that need changing or tweaking or eq'ing. The first two shows were played without the Matrix amps and 4X12's. Someone mentioned a lack of feedback or sustain. This was true and we were working on solutions for that without resorting to cabinets. In the end we felt that ditching the cabinets wasn't an option. We needed to try it.

My theory has been to replicate James' live rig first, then to build on these sounds as we go. I think this is a living breathing beast that we will "feed" as we move forward. Some of the reasons we felt that moving to the Fractal is the amount of control. I can change tubes in an amp on a stage in the middle of a some God forsaken field without any hesitation. As a touring tech, there are obvious advantages to not having to maintain tube amps during a normal show day. I can concentrate on how it sounds rather than why it doesn't work or why it sounds different today.

This leads us to the consistency factor. We have three going on four systems of gear. They have never sounded the same between them for obvious analogue reasons. We often see our "Black System" and our "Blue System" in the same week on tour. This is for shipping/cartage reasons. If you knew how much money it cost to move this equipment around the world, you would shit yourself. This brings us to how much weight and space we are now saving by using the AxeFx rigs. Day in and day out, our new "digital" rigs will make it possible for the band to play more shows due to reduced shipping costs alone.

The live guitar rig needs to please James, the monitor engineer, the FOH engineer and our recording engineer. The AxeFx is doing that for us. One long standing issue has been the 4X12's in the isolation boxes (large road cases with cabinets, SONEX and microphones inside. They would build up in the low mids and hamper the low end detail we can now get with the Cab Sims. It's like dialing back the "Proximity" control on the AXFX to a pleasing level. With James right hand, and how fast these notes need to develop and get out of the way of the next note, we are now experiencing a much tighter sound. You all know how much control you have with your own unit regarding the amps and cabinets and drive and shape and feel so I don't need to tell you that we get to do the same. The trick for a tech like me is to be able to translate what a guitar player wants to hear and apply it to the technology to get a desired result. Having way more than your typical 8 or 9 amp knobs is a new toolbox I get to use to do this.

Anyway, I use OUTPUT 1 for two discreet amp sound outputs. One Diezel and one Boogie sound. I use a second AXFX for the clean sounds (JC 120 e.t.c.) I am switching between the heavy and clean sounds via the tried and true VooDoo Labs Ground Control and Audio Switcher. [I used the RJM pedalboard last year with Def Leppard last summer and liked it a lot too] All Effects are programmed into scenes for seamless switching as was mentioned. OUTPUT 2 is for the live cabinets. I am also sending some signal from the CLEAN AXFX into INPUT 1 LEFT of the HEAVY AXFX to send this to the live cab as well if needed. I am using one TM block in the Boogie chain, stereo cabinets and thus far I have not had to use the EQ block I have placed before the output just in case. There has been no need!

Again, thanks for your interest and it is nice to hear positive feedback thus far. We will be working and listening as we go but we are very happy with what we are producing. Please don't get hung up on what our presets look like. You guys have the all the means right there in front of you to create exactly what you want to hear. Hell, Guitarjon gave you the rest!
Happy Tweaking,
Chad

Thanks again to Matt and the rest at FAS for live fixes and updates throughout our long programming days!

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
My name is Chad and I am James' guitar tech.

And thank you for the great insights and behind the scenes info! What I am always curious of with the celebrity players who use Fractal or any other multi effect or modeling gear is this: do say James, Kirk or Robert also make their own presets? or is it purely you the guitar tech who makes the sounds? with James just giving his comments or wishes to the presets you have made.

Last edited:
Wow! WOW! Thanks a lot to Chad for chiming in, that was a great read! And the kudos to Guitarjon is well deserved, his recent contributions to the community are amazing!

SOOOOO looking forward to seeing Metallica again (and hearing the new rig), this time at Sonisphere in Oslo in June!

\m/

Hi everybody,
My name is Chad and I am James' guitar tech.

wow! thanks so much for giving us all a peak into the world of metallica. it's obviously great to read how the pros are using the axe :) on a much smaller scale, i've pretty much had the same experience from the ultra days till now. less to carry and transport, yet all my sounds with great sound for recording, live and on-stage feel.

thanks for taking the time to share that with us, chad!

Awesome that Chad chimed in on this, and cool to see they are still tweaking the rigs as they go I'm sure they will only sound better over time.

And congrats to Guitarjon for getting his props for all his hard work

And thank you for the great insights and behind the scenes info! What I am always curious of with the celebrity players who use Fractal or any other multi effect or modelling gear is this:Do say James, Kirk or Robert also make their own presets? or is it purely you the guitar tech who makes the sounds? with James just giving his comments or wishes to the presets you have made.

Bodde, everyone is different. Some artists are more hands on than others. In our case, James wanted to hear what we could bring without sitting down and learning the gear. Once we began, we had a few sit downs to listen and talk about the feel and the response and the tones. I know what direction things need to go and I get James' input as we go.
Thanks,
Z

Chad, thanks so much for taking the time to give this kind of insight. It is absolutely appreciated and always welcome! By the way I am having to almost physically restrain myself from going all 15-year-old fan and ask a million different incredibly specific questions about James' tone, haha.

Keep up the good work and good luck out there on tour! :encouragement:

Hi Chad,
What happened to that Load/Reload sound? That was the best distortion sound I've ever heard, but I guess ever since James decided to add diezel, we are hearing a high-mid distortion like DM album which is like the modern teenage bands' sound. Also, I personally believe that the guitar sound in 'Lords of the Summer' demo was the worst sound I've ever heard out of tallica, even hugely different from the demo magnetic stuff. Have you guys decided to also record the new album with merely Axe?

wow dude, you're basically talking directly to metallica about how bad you think they sound. way to go.

welcome to the forum.

edit - he later said something like "it's never a bad idea to let people know what you think about them." *smacks head*

[i see it was deleted for some reason. maybe i was a bit harsh. but it's never a bad idea to tell people what you think.]

Last edited:
Chad!!... here is an idea!!... once the new Axe FX XL gets out most probably you will have to upgrade, if so, ask the band to sings all those old Axe FX II units and auction them for charity on this and other forums, bet they will fetch some $$$$$.

Cheers.

Reactions: ALE
Hi Chad,
What happened to that Load/Reload sound? That was the best distortion sound I've ever heard, but I guess ever since James decided to add diezel, we are hearing a high-mid distortion like DM album which is like the modern teenage bands' sound. Also, I personally believe that the guitar sound in 'Lords of the Summer' demo was the worst sound I've ever heard out of tallica, even hugely different from the demo magnetic stuff. Have you guys decided to also record the new album with merely Axe?

So all of the sudden you decided to join the forum just to write this to him????... really.....

Sooooooo, can you post any patches?? :)

Ha, just kidding.
Are the 4x12s for stage monitoring at all, or are they mic'd up for the mix, or are they just for the guitar interaction?

Sorry if it was posted earlier, I don't recall seeing that in the thread. Maybe I'll go re-read it...

EDIT: Okay Adam said in post 66 they are just for feel on stage, it's all AFX to the house. Interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom