Making My Own Acoustic IR

Jemwiz00

Hi there folks -

I've found a dearth of information regarding acoustic impulse responses here on the forum. However I haven't been able to track down the best formula for recording my own IR's of my acoustic guitar.
I've got a nice Martin OM28 that sounds incredible mic'd up but not nearly as inspiring through the K&K transducer I just had installed. I have tried a few user IR's and have gotten closer to what I want to hear. However I think if I made my own IR with the exact guitar I would be using it would be more authentic. Any suggestions on software and mic placement would be greatly appreciated. I've found a few Youtube videos helpful but I imagine like most other topics, the experts are right here on this forum.
Thanks Again!

PS - I'm more than willing to post my IR's after completion...

If I was you I would just do a live tonematch of your Martin. You can match the trasducer signal with the one coming from your mics and pres.

Then you can export the TM as an IR.

Thank you - I should have mentioned I'm using the AX8 not the II - so I don't have tone match capability. I found a PC program called Bodilizer that apparently does what I'm looking for...however it looks like it's abandonware at the moment. I know that an IR is simply a wav file of a space - I could have slapped a mic in front of the Martin but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I believe that Bodilizer did some kind of subtractive EQ thing with the pickup in order to elimate phase issues. I could probably get in the ballpark. I was hoping someone could steer me down the base paths...

Sounds like you need to use this method.

Now, since you dont have the tonematch feature you would have to use something like Ozone 5 do do the tone/eq matching. You'd probably get better results that way anyway, from what ive read Ozone does better matches.

If you post or email the two tracks I can run a TM for you and convert to ir. Also instead of using your actual guitar it might be worth finding a sound you like on a produced album. I've had some luck using the acoustic intro to something for nothing by Rush. Easy to try both.

So I have been trying to tackle this all morning. I appreciate the offer to post my tracks. I may take you up on it shortly. However I would like to learn how to generate the IR myself. I have the necessary software- Ozone 5 and Deconvolver (Skinned) and am making some progress. I'm not happy with the piezo sound one bit and even with the Ozone matching applied (using the eq from my Martin recorded with a nice condenser mic) it still sounds like crappola. I'm using my K&K pickup into the AX8. I may try to generate the match using my LR Baggs preamp instead. The best acoustic tone I've achieved so far Is using Fremen's IR in his preset pack. I think he designed it for use with an electric, but it still sounds great. As usual I feel like I can make it even better with a preset with an IR designed specifically for my guitar.

Ok - thanks everyone for the help! So - I did successfully complete the tone match of my Martin. I tried matching the mic'd wav with both with my LR Baggs preamp and with the AX8. I achieved more success with the AX8. l used Ozone 5 and Deconvolver (through wine skin). While I am not at all satisfied with my results so far I will attach my IR to this post. Give it a listen and tell me what you think. I am getting closer. The first few tries were nothing but digitally distorted garbage. I'm going to try a few more times and will post my results if I get something better. I may try tone matching a favorite acoustic tone next. I've always been partial to the David Crosby sort of tone. I think he used Martin D45's predominantly. Maybe I will have to give the 3sigma IR's a try. I still think Fremen's IR in his preset pack is the most pleasing to my ear so far. Maybe I will have to ask him how he achieved it...

Attachments

• U066_Mr. Martin OM28 DC.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 42
Here is another - a little better - maybe a little brighter.
This one I matched with the condenser mic and the LR Baggs system.
Still not what I'm looking for but I'll get there...

Attachments

• U069_LRB Mr. Martin OM28.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom