Lay It Down Ratt with some improv after the solo.

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
Thanks to Chad (gibson5413 from Rig-Talk)for doing the backing track. What a great guy for doing this for me!!! Must have taken a ton of time.
I decided to just make an audio clip tonight instead of a video. Maybe I'll do a video on the weekend. I was hoping to find someone to sing the track for me. Any takers???
Chad did the bass and drums for the track.

I added some improv Lynchesque soloing after the main solo.

This is now a remix, less reverb, delay and bass guitar. I now realize it's a bit fast, but what's done is done :) I tried to slow down the whole song with varispeed but it just sounded too funky :(

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=11830

Mark

NEW MIX ADDED SOLO MORE OUT FRONT :)

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=11831

Tell me what you think :)

Mark

Here are the presets I used. There are a bunch of redundant blocks (pitch, delay2) they are controlled by cc's. If they give you a hassle just remove them. I was too lazy to get rid of them lol.

Attachments

• Mark Day's Marsha Ratt.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Mark Day's Ratt Solo.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I was just thinking about this song last night and watched the hilarious music video. Killer job as always Mark. Maybe you should dress up like a clown for the video haha

Mark,

I actually enjoyed just listening for a change, and because I wasn’t watching for whatever your next facial expression would be, I actually focused on the tone and playing !

GREAT JOB ! Your stuff NEVER ceases to amaze me !

Question(s): Did you re-amp on this one, or was it one pass ? I’m always curious how you mixed it …. One track in stereo ? Multiple tracks ? Etc;..,

If you don’t mind, could you jot down a few of your thoughts and techniques !

THANKS !

Mark,

I actually enjoyed just listening for a change, and because I wasn’t watching for whatever your next facial expression would be, I actually focused on the tone and playing !

GREAT JOB ! Your stuff NEVER ceases to amaze me !

Question(s): Did you re-amp on this one, or was it one pass ? I’m always curious how you mixed it …. One track in stereo ? Multiple tracks ? Etc;..,

If you don’t mind, could you jot down a few of your thoughts and techniques !

THANKS !

Thanks Roger. Let me see if I can remember..lol, afterall it was last night :)

Chad sent me the drums and bass. I added a Waves C4, LL3 and MaxxBass to the drums and a C4 to the bass. I used the USB for the AxeFxII audio. I recorded a stereo (into 2 ch's) rhythm track. One side has a Logic Sample Delay at about 490ish. One side has a waves Doubler, reverb and delay send in case the guitars weren't wet enough just from the AxeFx FX mix for the preset.
I did record the Reamp dry tracks just in case I didn't like the rhythm preset. I didn't use them to reamp, they were just a safety precaution. The rhythm track was panned hard left and right.

I then recorded a second stereo rhythm track (into 2 separate ch's in Logic) because on the original tune the two guitarists play slightly different parts for the main riff. I only used the right side and panned it a little counter clockwise from hard right. I added a sample delay set at about 1000 ( I believe this translates to 10ms).

The solo is stereo into 2 separate ch's. One has a sample delay around 490. Both ch's have a Waves REQ4. I boosted around 2k to give it more stand out in the mix, I also set the last freq for a low pass filter at about 7500hz. I panned then around 4 and 8 o'clock from what I remember.

All guitar tracks were feed into a Buss ch were I added an LL3 and delay and reverb sends. I used a Waves RVerb at 2.1ms and a Logic Stereo Delay at 500ms with low repeats.

On the Master fader I added another C4 and LL3 for copmpression and volume maximizing.

WARNING, I have no formal studio training and I am a major hack. I use and do things that get me to where I want something to sound, I'm sure what I do is ALL wrong lol.

Mark

Last edited:
I already posted on TGP; but I love this take. Your guitars sound MASSIVE.

Anyone hating on this needs to admit they are crazy.

;) :D

I dig the playing and the way - even without video - your personality comes through in what you do. You are playing Ratt's music, but it's Mark Day all day long... and that's what makes it work for me. I love what you do.

Thanks Mark !

Hopefully this weekend I'll have my DAW up and running and I want to start running some experiments !

I dig the playing and the way - even without video - your personality comes through in what you do. You are playing Ratt's music, but it's Mark Day all day long... and that's what makes it work for me. I love what you do.

Thanks so much Scott!!! I really appreciate the kind words, dude!!

Mark

+1!

Scott's comment gave me an idea for a name for your solo album: Mark Day - "All Day Long" ;-)

I was just thinking about this song last night and watched the hilarious music video. Killer job as always Mark. Maybe you should dress up like a clown for the video haha

Are you talking about the clown at the beginning of the video or Stephen Pearcy?

Awesome tone as always. Great playing - solo and the jamming afterward.

Thanks CodePoet!

Cool Mark!

Is it just me, or does the tempo seem just a bit fast?

Yup about 5bpm too fast I figure :)

Thanks Java!

Me in a clown suit, now that would be scary :)

Great 80's tone!! I really dig for those Aldrich pick ups, they have a unique bite!! Thanks for the patches!

Thanks, and your welcome :)

Mark

Mark all I have to say is that you are a TONE MONSTER my brother. Keep up the great work.

My mom used to say I was a monster lol. Nah I was a good kid lol.

+1!

Scott's comment gave me an idea for a name for your solo album: Mark Day - "All Day Long" ;-)

Hehe!

We love you Mark!!!!
Still waiting for a Winger Tone.

Those backing tracks are hard to come by :)

Are you talking about the clown at the beginning of the video or Stephen Pearcy?

LOL!!!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom