Klon Capture IR of Most Common Clean Boost Settings

groovenut

Power User
Ok so I did a capture with the Treble at noon (neutral), the Gain at 9 oclock and the Output at ~ a 3dB boost (this probably makes no difference in the tone but I wanted to make sure the settings are like most use it.) With the gain at 9 oclock there is no clipping to the signal but there is filtering going on below 500Hz and above 1.2KHz roughly. You can see this on the trailing (treble) side of the 1K sine wave in the second pic (click for bigger pic). The first pic is the unity gain bypassed signal.

I placed a cab block in an otherwise empty preset and captured a waveform of the frequency response of the Klon IR.
On the left side of this pick is the waveform of the 16Hz - 22KHz sweep test signal I used as a reference, on the right is the capture waveform after the Klon IR cab block

The frequencies go low to high from left to right. You can see the low and high frequency attenuation as leading and trailing tails on the waveform on the right.

Here's the FFT plot comparing the reference test signal and the post IR capture. You can see there is a definite low and high frequency rolloff as well as some boosting in the mids.

For the preset I chose the FET boost followed by the user cab IR, then into the ODS-100 Lead into Factory Cab 117 then a little reverb. I set up the user cab IR to have the same controller as the drive block so they bypass at the same time.

Anyway, all this scientific stuff aside here's how it sounds.

The first example in the recording is the preset without the FET Boost/Klon IR, the second is with the Boost/IR medium pick attack, the third is Boost/IR with heavier pick attack and the fourth is Boost/IR with lighter pick attack. I used a Les Paul with a JB bridge pickup.

By some standards this is a pretty subtle thing, but for some players that subtlety is everything. Give it a whirl, maybe it's just what the doctor ordered :D

I believe the user cab for the IR is #9 in the preset.

Maybe the Klon players can give it a try and leave some feedback as to if it does it's "thing" or not. This doesn't contain any "magic diodes" so it may not have the mojo needed ;)

EDIT: I shot another IR of the Klon with the gain control off, Treble at noon and Output at about 3dB boost it is labeled Klon Clean IR for those interested. Compared to the Klon IR, the Klon Clean IR has no low mid hump (at ~600Hz) but the same high frequency rolloff. Try em both, use the one you like best!! :)

Last edited:
Cool - thanks Law. I don't have my Axe-Fx hooked up to check the preset. Does it contain your FET block and filter settings that approximate the Klon w/o using an IR?

Cool - thanks Law. I don't have my Axe-Fx hooked up to check the preset. Does it contain your FET block and filter settings that approximate the Klon w/o using an IR?

Hey Michael!
No the preset has the Fet drive block feeding a cab block with the user IR. It is possible to put an EQ block after the FET Boost and do a low shelf down at about 300Hz, a peaker at 1.1K and 1.5k with a boost of about 3dB narrow Q, and a high shelf down at 2.2k. I believe that'll get you close without using the IR. I have not tried it, but looking at the FFT that should get it close.

Last edited:
Pretty useable and comes close. I like the Klon with the gain off and use it mainly for clean boosting. I built my clone myself and changed some values to have less low end loss. With the settings mentioned it does have a similar sound. Using the FET boost in front helps to get closer. FET boost in the Axe is pretty cool anyway. ;)

Pretty useable and comes close. I like the Klon with the gain off and use it mainly for clean boosting. I built my clone myself and changed some values to have less low end loss. With the settings mentioned it does have a similar sound. Using the FET boost in front helps to get closer. FET boost in the Axe is pretty cool anyway. ;)
If you like using the Klon for a clean only boost, try the Klon Clean IR I just added to the OP. It was shot with the Gain at zero. the Treble at noon and the Output at about a 3dB boost. It doesn't have the same low mid hump (~600Hz) that the Klon IR does, but still retains the high frequency rolloff.

Ok so I did a capture with the Treble at noon (neutral), the Gain at 9 oclock and the Output at ~ a 3dB boost (this probably makes no difference in the tone but I wanted to make sure the settings are like most use it.) With the gain at 9 oclock there is no clipping to the signal but there is filtering going on below 500Hz and above 1.2KHz roughly. You can see this on the trailing (treble) side of the 1K sine wave in the second pic (click for bigger pic). The first pic is the unity gain bypassed signal.

I placed a cab block in an otherwise empty preset and captured a waveform of the frequency response of the Klon IR.
On the left side of this pick is the waveform of the 16Hz - 22KHz sweep test signal I used as a reference, on the right is the capture waveform after the Klon IR cab block

The frequencies go low to high from left to right. You can see the low and high frequency attenuation as leading and trailing tails on the waveform on the right.

Here's the FFT plot comparing the reference test signal and the post IR capture. You can see there is a definite low and high frequency rolloff as well as some boosting in the mids.

For the preset I chose the FET boost followed by the user cab IR, then into the ODS-100 Lead into Factory Cab 117 then a little reverb. I set up the user cab IR to have the same controller as the drive block so they bypass at the same time.

Anyway, all this scientific stuff aside here's how it sounds.

The first example in the recording is the preset without the FET Boost/Klon IR, the second is with the Boost/IR medium pick attack, the third is Boost/IR with heavier pick attack and the fourth is Boost/IR with lighter pick attack. I used a Les Paul with a JB bridge pickup.

By some standards this is a pretty subtle thing, but for some players that subtlety is everything. Give it a whirl, maybe it's just what the doctor ordered :D

I believe the user cab for the IR is #9 in the preset.

Maybe the Klon players can give it a try and leave some feedback as to if it does it's "thing" or not. This doesn't contain any "magic diodes" so it may not have the mojo needed ;)

EDIT: I shot another IR of the Klon with the gain control off, Treble at noon and Output at about 3dB boost it is labeled Klon Clean IR for those interested. Compared to the Klon IR, the Klon Clean IR has no low mid hump (at ~600Hz) but the same high frequency rolloff. Try em both, use the one you like best!! :)

Played with these yesterday; was completely blown away! Amazing tone...just saved me 2k. Thank you very much Lawrence!

How do you change the default? Went through the front panel menus & couldn't find it...probably was right in front of me!

There's no default as such. What I meant is that I select FET in most of my presets.

I just sold my Klon to finance a Axe-FX II, and shipped away the Klon before I got the Axe-FX and the opportunity to make an IR. I really miss a Klon drive in the Axe-FX. If you were to capture another IR of the Klon, could you also add an IR with the Drive at 2 o'clock, tone at 11.30 and Output to 9.30 o'clock, as this were my settings?

Good work! Will try your Klon IR at the first opportunity! :)

Finally got around to trying this out yesterday. Really nice drive option for what I like- I haven't compared it to my Klon (on loan to a friend cutting a record here in Austin), but I like it plain and simple. I haven't tried incorporating it into some of my main presets yet- I'll try to get around to that this weekend. I tend to use the FET for a drive often, so this should work well with the added IR.

Thanks for taking the time to work this up and share it Law.

I just sold my Klon to finance a Axe-FX II, and shipped away the Klon before I got the Axe-FX and the opportunity to make an IR. I really miss a Klon drive in the Axe-FX. If you were to capture another IR of the Klon, could you also add an IR with the Drive at 2 o'clock, tone at 11.30 and Output to 9.30 o'clock, as this were my settings?

Good work! Will try your Klon IR at the first opportunity! :)
Got a chance to shoot this one today. I posted it in the OP. Obviously the clipping that the pedal does at this setting wont be in the IR but the EQ of the clipping (and the tone controls) will be. Post your thoughts after you've had a chance to try it. To my ears its very similar to the original Klon IR I posted with a bit more of a mid hump and less treble.

... Anyway, all this scientific stuff aside here's how it sounds.

What a "Revelation!" :stupid:

I'll give it a whirl! :encouragement:

Thanks for posting this. Maybe it's timing or just the Klon enticing me to try something different. But this is really the first time I've played the Dumble sims with any real effort or interest. I think I tried the very first channel Cliff added back in whatever rev that was and it just wasn't my thing. But wow. I've been playing this ODS 100 Lead for hours now. Along with the Klon's of course. I love the subtleness of them. A prefect match for the ODS.

From what I can tell you just used the defaults on the ODS correct?

Back
Top Bottom