Is it Possible to Disable Direct Monitoring on Output 1/Phones Jack?

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
I'm not able to find any clear information about how to disable/mute/re-route the direct signal from the Axe-Fx II XL+.

This post alluded to a solution:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/an-option-to-disable-direct-monitoring-with-phone-out.86492/

"...all I have to do is go to I/O settings and set input 1 to echo to output 2 and now the front panel 1 and 2 knobs give me separate control for direct monitoring and DAW monitoring. I have 2 inputs on each powered monitor speaker, so this is easy to accomplish with the 2 sets of outputs on the Axe FX."

And this one too:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ring-when-using-usb-to-rec.57992/#post-783290

USB/DIGI Out Source = Output 2
Output 2 Echo = Output 1
Lower Output 1 Global EQ gain slider to reduce monitored guitar level. This won't affect USB playback or recording levels.

And in the same thread:

“It's possible turn down the direct monitoring volume by routing a volume block at the end of the chain going to output 1, then routing the signal prior to the vol block to output 2 and arming output 2 in the daw for recording... But it's kind of a pain in the butt to have to do this to every preset you plan on recording...”

I don’t understand the first thread’s suggestion. The second thread’s first recipe didn’t work. I suspect the suggestion “routing a volume block…” may work but do not want to mess with all my patches.

Signal Flow:
Guitar --> Axe-Fx* --> Monitor Speaker
[*MacBook Pro inserted via USB to Axe]

The DAW is Ableton Live 9. It adds various VSTeffects/Ableton Looper to the entire Ch1/2 USB signal. I want to hear only the post FX signal at the monitor.

Fractal Support (always very helpful) said it’s just hardwired that way. This suggests to me that it’s impossible without an additional device.

To me, It seems a very odd capability to omit. Many basic, not to mention much cheaper, audio effects/interface devices have the ability to disable direct monitoring. The only way I've been able to solve this is by using a second audio interface and setting that as the DAW's output device, then outputting to my monitor via the second interface...which seems kind of silly considering the otherwise advanced capabilities of the Axe-FX II.

So does anybody know - Is there a way to globally 'kill' the pre-DAW signal appearing directly at Output 1/Phones Output on the Axe itself? I hope to find an easier way that neither requires an additional audio interface nor messing with my existing presets’ layouts. This system is primarily intended for live use.

Cheers,
Luke

Last edited:
the device is primarily a tone-generator, preamp, guitar rig. to me, that's not "direct monitoring" really. it also has a USB interface built-in, but that's not the unit's primary function.

it's not clear what is hooked up to your monitors. the axe?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on the routing. The Axe (Output 1) is connected to the monitor speaker. I only have one speaker currently. The Mac is on the Axe's USB. So, In essence, it's a very simple standard setup.

I understand your point about the device as "tone-generator, preamp, guitar rig". I use several other 'guitar rig' type devices that have options to adjust for this kind of routing so figured there must be a way/workaround for the Axe.

USB/DIGI Out Source = Output 2
Output 2 Echo = Output 1
Lower Output 1 Global EQ gain slider to reduce monitored guitar level. This won't affect USB playback or recording levels.

This works to adjust the level, but there is not enough range to completely mute the signal.

If you want to mute the direct signal completely, set USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE to OUTPUT 2, put an FX Loop block at the end of the grid chain, and connect your signal row(s) to it instead of the output block.

If you want to mute the direct signal completely, set USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE to OUTPUT 2, put an FX Loop block at the end of the grid chain, and connect your signal row(s) to it instead of the output block.

Or skip the FX Loop and echo Out 1 to 2 instead, then send a 0 value for Out 1 Volume CC as needed from DAW or MIDI controller/pedal.

mr-fender, Thankyou soooo much!

Problem solved via:
OUTPUT 2 ECHO : NONE
USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE : OUTPUT 2
ADD FX LOOP block to the end of FX Grid - Do not connect to OUTPUT block

This is great but it means it is necessary to modify every patch.

I tried the other methods too.

OUTPUT 2 ECHO : OUT 1
USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE : OUTPUT 2
ADJUST VOLUME with Gain Slider in GLOBAL EQ - as you said works but only lowers the level, doesn't mute completely.

Bakerman's suggestion didn't work. Maybe I read it wrong. Could you please clarify the settings? I had hoped this would work so I wouldn't need to add an FX Loop block to every patch. I'm assuming it didn't work as when I mute the active input track in Ableton Live I can still hear it at the monitor.

If you guys are ever in Sydney please allow me to buy you a beer or two! Eternally grateful!!!

Last edited:
I did exactly as suggested by Bakerman.

“(Or) skip the FX Loop and echo Out 1 to 2 instead, then send a 0 value for Out 1 Volume CC as needed from DAW or MIDI controller/pedal.”

But as the suggestion was written in an add-on style it is not clear how it was meant to tie in (or not tie in) with the previous method suggested by Mr Fender. Hence the seeking of clarification - twice.

I did exactly as suggested by Bakerman.

“(Or) skip the FX Loop and echo Out 1 to 2 instead, then send a 0 value for Out 1 Volume CC as needed from DAW or MIDI controller/pedal.”

But as the suggestion was written in an add-on style it is not clear how it was meant to tie in (or not tie in) with the previous method suggested by Mr Fender. Hence the seeking of clarification - twice.
So you set Echo Out 2 to Out 1?

Did that duplicate the signal to Out 2 successfully?

Then you sent a 0 value on the CC# corresponding to Out 1 (I think it’s cc#11 by default)?

Did that turn off Out 1’s send?

Back
Top Bottom