How close can we get to Andy Timmons tone?

Hi Guys and Gals

For a long time one of my all time fave tones is on Andy Timmons
Resolution album.

Andy has been great in explaining his tone and Rig in these following vids

Guitarist interview:
Andy Timmons - BB Preamp - Mesa Boogie Lone Star - YouTube

Sgt Pepper album tone
Andy Timmons Band Plays Sgt. Pepper - Guitars, Amps and Effects - part 1 - YouTube

Mesa Boogie Rig
Andy Timmons Full Rig Demo Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
Andy Timmons Full Rig Demo Part 2 of 3 - YouTube
Andy Timmons Full Rig Demo Part 3 of 3 - YouTube

GIT Demo
Andy Timmons - BB Preamp - Mesa Boogie Lone Star - YouTube

I was wondering if any of the tone-match experts on this forum could have a go
at getting the signal chain/tones/feel of those videos emulated with the Axe -

I am still a newbie and have been experimenting around with trying to get the axe
to emulate the setup and tone of the videos but its been tough and i am not quite
sure if i am even close

Anyone interested in these tones enough to have a go at figuring how close the
axe can get to those setups/chains/tones from the youtube vids?

Would be amazing if we can get real close to the Andy Timmons set up via using
multiple Amps and clever routing in the axe

Millions of thanks in advance
Mike

Absolutely delicious ! Is it possible to get the backing track : great for a few training hours ;-)

I may be incorrect on this, but I don't think Andy started playing Boogies until the Resolution tour. For the album (I saw a studio vid on YT - I can't seem to find it) I believe he played a combination of Marshall's - I think one was a plexi, another 800(?) with maybe a tube driver in front. I also love his Resolution tone. However, Sgt Pepper is unbelievably fat and warm and round - just sick. If I can find the YT vid from the Resolution recording, I'll post it.

EDIT: From another YT vid - it was a 68 Plexi and possibly a 79 JMP. Both run loud and clear with a tube driver in front. He was also using Mesa Lonestars at the time, but the Stilettos were still in production.

Hope this helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog567ovXrI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
just found the below from an interview about how andy recorded resolution...

GO STEREO
Timmons chose a stereo signal path with a ’68 plexi Marshall Super Lead panned hard to one side, and a ’79 Marshall master-volume JMP panned opposite. The speaker cabinets were 2x12 and 4x12 Mesa/Boogie Recto models loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s.

“I’d typically run the amps clean,” he says, “and get most of the distortion from an old Tube Works Tube Driver or an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I also used a Maestro EP3 tape echo, a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, a Chandler Digital Echo, an old Octavia on “Hellipad,” and, for “Resolution,” I simultaneously recorded the Marshall and a direct line that I later re-amped through a Leslie 122 cabinet to get a bit of a Hendrix-y effect. We didn’t change things up too much, and most of the songs were done with the same rig.”

I think between all those video links posted we now have the "elements" used in creating andys tone

Would be great if one of the patch design/routing/tone experts of this forum could dissect the video clips
and design an uber timmons patch mapped to how his rigs work... Would be great to see the mesa/marshall
rigs re-created into a properly routed patch blending the amps and using the best IR for the tone

Interesting challenge for anyone?

Good luck, I own the AT100CL (on ebay right now) owned the lonestar and many of the same pedals,...All in the fingers. His nuances and feel is pretty unique and hard to replicate in many areas -try the tune Redemption. As soon as you get to the B part it is very hard for mere mortals to recreate that.

hi guys,

I got a Lonestar and had lots of pedals in front of it, as well have an Axe2. I got close to match his tone quite well I think (see my youtube channel). however the most important is the way he attacks the strings. you need high output pickups with a big dynamic range and then figure out his right hand technique... I believe it doesnt really matter which amp you use... pleix or texas or even a bogner...

His signature guitar does not have high output pups -the Dimarzio AT is semi high out put and the two single cruisers would not be called high out put at all but are supposed to be matched to the At humbucker. Zberlin -killer video dude, never saw it. Tone was good not exact, but your the attack and AT attitude was exceptional nice work!

Just took my main patch (recto with recto cab) and swapped out the lone star, reset the amp model, put bass on 2, gain but to about 6-7 and bingo. threw the bb in front for some more gain and that sounds like it to me.

Which video has the tonematched tone?
I thought The Answer had a good overdriven sound, but the clean sounded more clean Metallica to mee. But that was a real Lonestar?

I think it`s difficult to get the right tones. I have the Ibanez AT300 and I think the old Simeon clean/overdriven patch was the best so far

hi guys,

I got a Lonestar and had lots of pedals in front of it, as well have an Axe2. I got close to match his tone quite well I think (see my youtube channel). however the most important is the way he attacks the strings. you need high output pickups with a big dynamic range and then figure out his right hand technique... I believe it doesnt really matter which amp you use... pleix or texas or even a bogner...

Amp gurus:
Which models in the Axe-Fx II are closest to the below amps that were used on the Revolution album?

- ’68 plexi Marshall Super Lead
- ’79 Marshall master-volume JMP

Back
Top Bottom