FX Loop Levels of Input/Output 2

imrecs

Inspired
I would like to run a Boss DD-6 pedal in the effects loop to use a function that's specific to the pedal (warp mode, infinite sustain when pedal is depressed - don't think the axe fx can do this one, though correct me if I'm wrong). Tried running it in front and in the loop and it seems in the loop it gets less noise/hiss build up when it builds up a lot of layers..

My question is, how do I set the levels of the input and output 2 for the FX Loop? I will be running this in all of my presets/scenes so that the Pedal can be turned on and off on the floor, and not with a midi controller.

Also wondering, would the best place be after the cab? never heard of running delays or reverbs post cabinet in the real world, so curious as to why lots of axe presets do it this way.

Thanks!

P.S. If I use an fx loop is it not possible to run a direct sound to FOH live and a feed to a power amp and cabinet on stage? How would that work? Could I use Output 1 to go to FOH as well as my in ears/power amp FRFR?

Last edited:
Warp mode in the DD-6 basically just ramps the feedback and mix up high for as long as you hold the pedal down. You can do the same with the axe by assigning an expression pedal to the feedback and mix parameters. Try about 95 % to 99% feedback and about 50 to 65% mix for the maximums.

For the loop levels, if you leave all the controls at 0dB and have the front panel knob for output 2 set to maximum, you'll get unity gain through the loop. For stompboxes, you might pull the send level down a few dB and then boost the level back after the dd-6 at the fx loop block level the same amount to keep unity gain.

You can put the FX Loop block anywhere you want. Post gain (after the amp block) will give you the best clarity and definition. Effects after the cab is pretty rare for players, but it is extremely common in the studio (console buses, DAW FX plug-ins, etc.). Keep in mind that if you put stereo effects in front of an amp or regular cab block, it will get summed to mono. Blocks after the amp but before a stereo cab block panned hard will keep the stereo image. The Axe gives you that flexibility.

Wow thanks for the tip. If I can create warp mode in the axe I will be thrilled. Would I have to use a wah/volume style expression pedal or could I use a foot switch that's non latching instead to control the effect? IF possible Id like it to feel as close to the dd-6 as possible. Thanks so much for the tip can't wait to try it. Btw, which delay setting should I use? Dd-6 is a stereo delay but I only ever use momo outputs, so moo digital or analog delay in the fractal?

Mono or Stereo Digital is what you want for clean, steady repeats. DD-6 is a very clean delay. Yes you can use a momentary type switch. It will simply go straight from full on to full off. If you want the effect to more slowly ramp in and out, increase the dampening in the modifier screen. You can assign one of your MIDI footcontroller switches to operate any one of the 12 external controllers in the Axe via CC#16 through CC#27. Just assign the corresponding controller to the desired parameters. You can also use the pedal input(s) in the back of the Axe to control the parameters as well.

The Hold function in the reverb and delay blocks is a bit different in that it mutes the input of the effect after looping the delay buffer. The result is a static loop that cannot be changed until hold is turned off and then back on with new input. The Warp feature on the DD-6 keeps the input active so you can make all sorts of crazy sounds with it and cause more of a runaway delay type of sound if you want.

Last edited:
I got a momentary switch and struggling to get the same effect as the DD-6 warp. Could you or someone else help further?

For some reason the momentary switch only works when the pedal in the axe menu is set to "latching"; when set to momentary in the axe, the pedal functions like a latching pedal (Boss FS-6 internally set to momentary)...

Regardless, I am getting something similar to the DD-6 infinite loop warp mode when the pedal is depressed, but as soon as I let go, it just cuts off abruptly and completely. The DD-6 reduces the level of the held/feedbacked/mixed signal slowly as i let go of the pedal, so it trails off...and then if i re-engage the pedal, the level it has been reduced to stays constant, so i can lower the level of the previous "looped" swell, but catch it before it disappears completely, and layer on top of it.

Any other advice, as I'd love to be able to have the tempo sync'd, so having this effect in the axe would be better than having to use the dd-6.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom