Funny thing at rehersal

javajunkie

We were playing a few green day songs. Whenever I would get to end of a "solo" on that patch I would get the high gain howls. So, no problem turn up the noise gate a bit.

I went and checked and I didn't even have the noise gate on at all. Pretty darn quiet for a loud as we were.

I don't use the gate at all. On the Ultra I would use the gate on high gain patches but I find I don't need it now.

I did some measurements and the II is at least 10 dB better SNR.

this is really interesting.. cos there are lots of posts by folk suffering with noise issues...
quality control being what it is, there should be no difference between your units and anyone else's...
this means that you guys are doing something slightly differently to those that are suffering...

I can only guess that this is being earth loop free and in locations that are generally free of electromagnetic dross...
rehearsal studios and live venues tend to be pretty good noise wise cos you are far from dross generating stuff...
I'm wondering if the guys that suffer the most are in home studios where they have all their kit [including computer] crammed into a pretty small physical space....

NOTE: not trying to be difficult here, just provoke a little thought cos some folk appear to be struggling some..

My home studio is completely quiet (EM wise) . I have learned (from having some fairly complex setups) how to fix most noise issues.

I'm wondering if a general noise related FAQ thread could be a good idea...
I recall not so long ago a forumite writing up a very comprehensive set of notes about how to address earth loops

there appear to be probs related to EM, latency due to ill chosen computer settings, etc

wonding if it'd be good to dump all this wisdom in one place maybe?

My man cave is a pretty small little place. I RARELY have any noise issues even when fairly loud. Why I always point to environment and other equipment when 'my Axe II is noisy' threads come up.

ok... so 'top tips' time.... lol..

what are the best possible things that can be done to limit or better, remove EM from a home studio..

I have a post on this, and the reason is because I had the same set up with my Ultra and had NO issues. Now I'm having trouble. I don't know what the problem is, but I would like it fixed. I had/have high expectations of my 2 because of how much I dug my Ultra. I'm game for anything that will help me and anyone else that might have this problem.

I have a post on this, and the reason is because I had the same set up with my Ultra and had NO issues. Now I'm having trouble. I don't know what the problem is, but I would like it fixed. I had/have high expectations of my 2 because of how much I dug my Ultra. I'm game for anything that will help me and anyone else that might have this problem.

I would start by figuring out what changed. OK, the Ultra is now a II, but what else changed? Cables, interface, computer, amplifier, lighting dimmer, etc...? Something changed. If it's only the II, there's a problem. Mine is (apart from light fan noise) dead quiet. But I've been chasing ground loops for years doing PA and audio installs and I'm getting pretty damn good at it and there's good advice out there on handling these and lot's of it got posted recently on the forum. But I can tell you with certainty that there must be some kind of change that occurred in your set up if it was quiet before and now it's noisy. And I'm betting it's not the Axe.

What happen when it is just guitar - axe-fx - headphones (nothing at all - nothing else plugged in)?
How about when you unplug the guitar in the above senario?

What happen when it is just guitar - axe-fx - headphones (nothing at all - nothing else plugged in)?
How about when you unplug the guitar in the above senario?

I was going to suggest this but with nothing else in the room switched on

Also another thing is how close are your pickups to your cell phone. Believe it or not, I've had some weird interference due to my new smartphone dingy and turning it off did the trick. Also, are there any computer screens close by? Very noisy they are. Especially laptops like macbooks. Also, try turning off the lights to see if there's any change in hum or interference.

We were playing a few green day songs. Whenever I would get to end of a "solo" on that patch I would get the high gain howls. So, no problem turn up the noise gate a bit.

I went and checked and I didn't even have the noise gate on at all. Pretty darn quiet for a loud as we were.

You sure it wasn't the dogs outside howling at the singer... ? ( JOKING !! I've had my fair share of people who truly believed they were meant to be singers... shaking head in hands...)

This is a little strange, but I was kind of blown away in a good way by how the Friedman factory patch sounded just as noisy as my 80's JCM800 head / cab when I was running direct.

I was standing in front of the FOH, fairly cranked, Les Paul, XLR out of the AxeII into the desk, and I had to mute the strings, etc., just like when I was using my Marshall head. The realism was uncanny.

Richard

This is a little strange, but I was kind of blown away in a good way by how the Friedman factory patch sounded just as noisy as my 80's JCM800 head / cab when I was running direct.

I was standing in front of the FOH, fairly cranked, Les Paul, XLR out of the AxeII into the desk, and I had to mute the strings, etc., just like when I was using my Marshall head. The realism was uncanny.

Richard

Yeah, but turn your volume knob down.

Back
Top Bottom