Fractal Audio DRIVE models: FAS Boost

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

logo.png

FAS Boost

Fractal Audio provides a couple of custom Drive models. These virtual drives have no real-life equivalents. They solely exist within the Axe-Fx II, FX8 and AX8, implementing Cliff’s ideas and improvements on existing pedals.

The FAS Boost Drive model at low gain settings is a clean boost, targeted at boosting vintage amp models such as Plexis and Vox amps. Slamming the input of such amps often has a better result than putting an overdrive in front of it because the increased distortion is more natural and transparent and the tone gets fatter. It enhances the characteristics of the amp instead of changing it. Because of this purpose FAS Boost has no specific tonal characteristics of its own.

Fractal Audio:
"It's not based on anything. It's my take on an ideal boost pedal."

FAS Boost was added in Quantum 1.x. Its Clip Type is silicon. Low Cut is set at 330 Hz and High Cut at 1550 Hz.

At default settings its amount of gain is pretty high. If you want this model to boost the input of an amp, you may want turn down Drive.

We’ve got more boosts to our disposal. We already covered the Esoteric RCB (RC Booster) and others will follow (FET Boost, Micro Boost).

There are also other “boosting” possibilities. A simple full-range boost that increase the input level across all frequencies can be accomplished by putting a VOL block or a "Null" FILTER before the amp model with increased Level, or by engaging the AMP block’s integrated 12dB Boost switch.

If a full-range boost is not desired, you can use a PEQ or GEQ instead with increased Gain of Level. You can finetune the frequencies, for example by copying the Low Cut and High Cut values from a Drive block you like.

These solutions have the advantage of not taxing the CPU as much as a Drive block.

Personal note
My favorite method of boosting is a simple PEQ. Level at 6 dB / Band: 1 Shelving2, 150 Hz, -12 dB / Band 5: Shelving2, 2253 Hz, -12 dB. I copied these frequencies from forum member’s Groovenut’s suggestions to simulate the Klon pedal. This PEQ is in most of my presets, right before the Amp block, works fine (with a switch on my foot controller assigned to it) and takes up a minimal amount of CPU power.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The FAS Boost model is a heavy user.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
This article was 85% "how not to use the FAS Boost"! :p

Thanks for another great write-up Yek. What's the FAS like with high drive into a low-gain / clean amp?

This article was 85% "how not to use the FAS Boost"! :p

Thanks for another great write-up Yek. What's the FAS like with high drive into a low-gain / clean amp?

Sounds pretty good. Sort of a TS, with emphasis on different frequencies. IMHO.

sounds good in front of clean fenders, imo. bit more body and smoother than a TS style drive.

I used it as my main boost in the AX8 for my gigging patches but recently changed as the latest FW seemed to give it quite a bit more level. I may revisit it later. It's clean and relatively transparent.

Back
Top Bottom