Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Eternal Love (based on Lovepedal Eternity)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

LP.png

Eternal Love: based on Lovepedal Eternity

It seems that each and every day a new overdrive pedal is introduced by some company, boutique or mass-produced. Many times it's another variation on the same old Tube Screamer platform. Yet, some stand out and are able to obtain a permanent position in this crowded market. Lovepedal’s Eternity is such a pedal. Its high price notwithstanding, it has found its way to many pedalboards.

Lovepedal:
“The Lovepedal Eternity delivers fantastic, tubey overdrive at every setting. You just can’t make this pedal sound bad. The extremely interactive controls offer you three knob options for sculpting overdrive sounds; Drive, Level (clean boost), and Glass which functions as a treble booster. Through variation of the Drive and Level knobs you can alter the mix of pedal distortion sound and your amp’s natural overdrive characteristics, giving you a myriad of tone options. Through manipulation of the Glass knob you can dial in some sweet Brian May style tones, or roll it off for some dark, warm goodness. The Love Pedal Eternity has developed a huge following and is currently played by Andy Summers of The Police and Richard Fortus of Guns N’ Roses, among others.”

"The Lovepedal Eternity can be 3 pedals in one – Overdrive, Treble Booster and Clean booster – depending on where you set the dials. You can also blend these 3 factors. Darker tones brighter tones, etc. Unorthodox tone control. It’s a treble boost instead of a normal tone control. It is a very smooth type of OD. It can go from nothing at all to sounding like a very warm vintage overdriven tube amp or a clean flat booster or a treble booster even a tweed amp. With the treble boost all the way off, it is warmer than most tube amps. The Eternity Overdrive always stays true to what’s coming out of your guitar so you never turn into the pedal. No matter how hard you drive it. It also breaks up the harder you dig into the strings, which is priceless."

Lovepedal has released various versions of the pedal (current one is “Burst”) and the differences between them aren’t very clear. There's a comparison video below. It’s unknown which version has been modeled by Fractal Audio into the Eternal Love model.

Judging from the firmware release notes the Eternal Love model hasn’t been updated in a while. But being based on the Tube Screamer it has been part of Fractal Audio's ongoing Drive block improvements.

The Eternity pedal has three knobs:
  • Drive: controls the amount of gain (model: Drive control).
  • Level: sets the output level (model: Level control). The pedal has lots of output level available, and so does the model.
  • Glass: controls the amount of presence, a tone control with an enormous range (model: Tone). Allows the pedal to be used as a treble booster.
I’m not sure if the Glass knob has been exactly modeled. But the Tone knob in the model covers the same broad range and makes this model very versatile, setting it apart from other Tube Screamer-ish models. With Tone set high, it's a viable alternative to the Treb Boost model.

Clip Type in the model is set to silicon.

Of course, the Drive block allows us to adjust far more things than the modeled pedal: Bias, Slew, Mix, Low Cut and High Cut and other parameters are available to us. But that's beyond the scope of this thread. Those parameters are discussed in the manual and wiki.

Compared to similar models, such as the T808 OD (TS9) and Esoteric ACB (AC Booster), the Eternal Love model has a similar character with noticeable less bass and low-mids (even though these models all have Low Cut around 700 Hz). It also doesn't boost the mids as much as a TS. Which makes it more transparent, less grainy and an excellent choice to put in front of a clean amp for “broken clean” rhythm strumming, while still offering enough body for thick single note runs.

Personal note
Based on the model I'd take an Eternity over a TS any day, except when I'd need a drive to tighten up a medium-to-high gain amp for rhythm work. If only we could have THREE drive blocks in our presets! ;)
For beautiful glassy single notes: set
Drive at around 1.50, everything else at defalt, in front of a Double Verb model (Twin) with a Telecaster. This is a tone I could fall in love with.
When turning up drive, I roll down the Tone knob. But I prefer the model at low gain settings.

About CPU usage:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Eternal Love is a heavy CPU user.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
Noticed that one of the vids is by @jzucker , who was quite active here for a while...haven't seen him on the forum recently..I wonder if he still is in the Fractal camp....he did seem at times a bit hard to please......

I vote the model should be renamed "SOS", since the circuit has been known in the DIY stompbox circles for years to be a rip-off of Jack Orman's "Son of Screamer" design. It's fundamentally a stripped down tube screamer with an active one-knob tone control.

I read about that and deliberately stayed away from that topic. One can argue that all TS clones are in fact copied / slightly changed / improved designs, but let's not go there.

I read about that and deliberately stayed away from that topic. One can argue that all TS clones are in fact copied / slightly changed / improved designs, but let's not go there.

I mostly agree; there's only so many ways to create distortion in a stompbox and most of them have been done over and over. The "Eternity", however, is simply an implementation of a design, created for free distribution in the DIY stompbox community, that they are selling at very high boutique prices. That tends to stifle open sharing of new ideas in the DIY stompbox community, which is a shame.

So I think that Jack Orman should get recognition of his design, where it makes sense.

Interesting. I used to have adv MI audio Boost n buff on my board, and I loved the combined treble and clean boost it provided. When cranked past 15dB, it stated to add more treble to the mix, as you approached the maximum of 35 dB. It made my tube amp explode in a very nice way. Sounds like the Love Pedal could do much of the same.

have to give some love for this pedal. Slept on it til today and am currently getting the best overdrive i've heard in my damn life about an hour ago. Going through the div/13 cj boost. Three thumbs up

Back
Top Bottom