Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Esoteric ACB (based on Xotic AC Booster)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

AC.png

Esoteric ACB: based on Xotic AC Booster

Xotic is an American company that is known for its quality effects (such as BB preamp, RC Booster, Robotalk) and also builds guitars and basses.

The AC Booster (“Almost Clean”) is one of their overdrive pedals, often compared to an Ibanez Tube Screamer. It is capable of a sweet overdrive with an uncompressed tube feel, warmer and thicker than Xotic’s BB preamp (BB Pre model).

Xotic:
“The Xotic AC Booster Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal creates a warm and pleasant sound by using the finest quality parts available. The AC Booster is a natural sounding "overdrive" pedal. Not "heavy" distortion, but a sweet thick overdrive with an "open" non-compressed feel. It's capable of a 20dB+ boost with an adjustable ±15dB two band active EQ, which adds a wide range of harmonic content to your ideal sound. The super wide range gain control allows for enough gain for it to work as a distorion pedal when turned all the way up. Equipped with not only boost Gain but also Treble and Bass controls that allow you to adjust your sound anyway you like.”​

Fractal's Audio’s model was last updated in Quantum 6.02.

The real pedal has four knobs:
  • Gain: controls the amount of overdrive (model: Drive control).
  • Volume: sets the output level (model: Level control).
    The pedal has an enormous amount of output level available, and so does the model. Its not strange to have to set the Level control at a low value for unity gain.
  • Bass and Treble (active EQ): the two active tone controls on the real pedal are handy tools to sculpt the tone, cutting or boosting lows and highs (+/- 15 dB). While the model also provides active Bass and Treble controls, they visually don't exactly behave the same as on the pedal.
Clip Type in the model is set to silicon.

Of course the Drive block allows us to adjust far more things than the modeled pedal: Bias, Slew, Mix, Low Cut and High Cut and other parameters are available to us. But that's beyond the scope of this thread. Those parameters are discussed in the manual and wiki.

Personal note:
The AC Booster makes everything fatter. It’s a wonderful tool to smoothen leads, in front of an already overdriven amp. Currently it's my OD model of choice, fattening the Friedman and the like, with Drive at 1.50 and Level at 3.25 or so.

About CPU usage:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The AC Booster requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

More Xotic AC Booster videos ...

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
I always assumed (for no good logical reason) this was an "Acoustic Booster"
Thankfully, you have corrected me. Sounds like a great alternative to my go to.

I owned an AC+, and tried the regular ACB on several occasions. It's just one of those pedals that many people seem to love, but I just don't bond with it.

Simo brining it. I like his take on this, and it's cool to see and hear him playing through a pedal.

Do give this Drive model a go, best in front of an already barking Amp. More or less a secret weapon but by all means a hidden gem imho.

Do give this Drive model a go, best in front of an already barking Amp. More or less a secret weapon but by all means a hidden gem imho.

I agree, Will. Exactly how I'm using it, into Friedman BE.

Back
Top Bottom