Fractal Audio AMP models: Citrus A30 (Orange AD30HTC)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Ad30.jpg

Citrus A30: based on Orange AD30HTC

The English company Orange has been around since 1968. More company background. You can’t miss the bright orange amps on stage, and they are found on many stages.

In 1998 Orange launched the AD series, an EL84 powered Class A tube amp with a single input and two channels. The modeled amp (named Citrus A30) is the 2-channel head (“H”). “TC” = Twin Channel.

Orange:

“Essentially two vintage British-style amps in one, the valve rectified twin channel AD Series recaptures the warm, time-honoured EL84 sound that defined an era. These amps have gained deserved reputation among Country pickers, Bluesmen, Pop, Funk and Indie artists for their classy, bell-like cleans, breaky crunch and controlled natural compression. This amp has proved to be so popular worldwide that its specification remains unchanged, and is fast becoming the new standard in 30 watt Class A amplification.​

With two completely separate signal paths, each with two stages of gain and master volume controls, both channels can be set clean or coaxed into varying degrees of crunch. Channel One has a slightly mellower character, with a thick, creamy, classic voice. Channel Two produces a tighter bass response and a faster attack with more gain and a more prominent upper midrange.​

However you set the controls, the AD30HTC remains wonderfully receptive to various guitars and playing styles, whilst the GZ34 valve rectifier imparts its own distinct vibe for players seeking a more vintage feel and responsiveness. Pair with our PPC212OB for glassy highs and spacious cleans or expose the AD30HTC’s heavier nature with our PPC212 or PPC412 for more low end projection.”​

We have a “clean” and a “dirty” model of the AD30. But the AD30 does not have a clean and a dirty channel, read the description above.

Here's a link to the manual.

Typical for Orange amps are the symbols describing the panel controls, instead of names. The AD30 has these controls (per channel): Master, Treble, Middle, Bass and Gain. The tone controls also affect the amount of gain, turn them up for more gain. However, the AD30 is not really a high-gain amp.

I’ll be honest: I’m not a fan of the characteristic distorted Orange sound myself. I find it one-dimensional (lacking depth) and buzzy. *ducking beneath the table...* But the list of Orange players is long and includes Oasis and other British bands, Jimmy Page, Fun Lovin' Criminals, The Mars Volta, etc. etc. so ignore me.​

Orange cabs are equipped with V30 speakers. There are several Orange (“Citrus”) stock cabs. I like #126 best.

Cab Pack 14 and Cab Pack 19 contain more Citrus IRs.​

There are a couple of audio clips on this page.

Last edited:
This was one of the last amps that I had before getting my first Axe. I've been using this as my main clean tone lately.

I’ll be honest: I’m not a fan of the characteristic distorted Orange sound myself. I find it one-dimensional (lacking depth) and buzzy. *ducking beneath the table...*

Oh, Yek! (throws something heavy in the direction of the Netherlands.....)

But if you like that one-dimensional and buzzy sound, this amp is great! I use it for my 'better than a Vox' sounds. It has a real nasty bite to it, like chucking a bag of nails down some stairs......my reference tone is "What's Going On" by Taste (I know that's an AC30 but it's the same 'bite' to me).

I discovered the amp after going through TAF Platinum bundle presets. There's one in there called "Indie Yeah" that combines the AD30 with a Tayden True Brit IR. I'd never thought about using the amp before and I'd never heard of Tayden speakers before, but this combination just works for me. Maybe it's a result of growing up in the UK with the sound of Oasis everywhere........I find the distorted tone really works for those Britpop arpeggio chords.

Johan Segeborn does a great comparison of various Orange amps including the AD30 (I'd love to see an OR80 in the Axe....):

Also, I know these are Kemper profiles (and I might get thrown off this forum for referencing them.....:p) but I found the sample of the TAF AD30 profiles useful for reference tones (see the player somewhere towards the bottom of the page) . The second, distorted tone is sound I had in my head for so long and couldn't find until I found the AD30.

Haha. :)

I just wrote this in the (upcoming) write-up about the Rockerverb:

Orange say:

"The warmth, tonal quality and rich harmonics generated by a valve amplifier cannot be reproduced by ‘artificial’ means. Many guitarists have reached the same conclusion: neither the transistor nor microchip is a suitable alternative to valve technology."​

What's funny is that, to my ears, Orange amps sound almost like transistor amps. :)

I do like the Oasis sound though.

I had the first version of this amp in 2001-2005. The clean channel was lovely, bell like, and very clean. With strat, I'd usually max the gain to get a slight bit of breakup and warmth, with master halfway. In axe, it goes into heavy distortion at 6 and full fuzzbox at 10, it's nothing like my amp was. Maybe the amp has changed over the years, the first one had only small knobs.

Last edited:
What's funny is that, to my ears, Orange amps sound almost like transistor amps. :)
Perhaps that's the problem, I grew up on transistor amps too! Maybe I like the sound of transistors......?? (I better stop before I really do get thrown off the forum) :)

I tried this yesterday, and I just did not like it at all - I really wanted to like it, because the description was just right, but in the end this amp is not for me :)

I had the first version of this amp in 2001-2005. The clean channel was lovely, bell like, and very clean. With strat, I'd usually max the gain to get a slight bit of breakup and warmth. In axe, it's quite dirty very early. Maybe the amp has changed over the years, the first one had only small knobs.
Orange says the design has remained essentially unchanged since the beginning, idk. It's definitely an acquired taste from what I've gathered, the sound for me is also extremely dependent on the mv being cranked to balance out the high end. The real amps are also very finniky about the speakers being used (I personally enjoy it through the 4x12 citrus mix and the cab ir orange pack)

I played an ad30htc for years and the afx settings unintentionally fell in place nearly identical to the real amp for my main crunch tone. Most impressive.

Back
Top Bottom